..new CPU vs Win7..

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/..new CPU vs Win7..

Naughty Alien(Posted May) [#1]
..hi guys..in case that CPU on mainboard, dies for some reason, but W7 installation on HD and all other peripherals are just fine, i would like to know, after new CPU is plugged in, and computer turned on, what will happen with Win7 ?? Is it going to boot in and run just fine??

xlsior(Posted May) [#2]

Naughty Alien 26 minutes ago #1
..hi guys..in case that CPU on mainboard, dies for some reason, but W7 installation on HD and all other peripherals are just fine, i would like to know, after new CPU is plugged in, and computer turned on, what will happen with Win7 ?? Is it going to boot in and run just fine??

It should.

If you just replace the CPU and the motherboard stays the same, then all the drivers would remain the same as well, and windows should boot up no problem. Since it's just a single part, windows activation shouldn't be a problem either. (if you would take your HDD and plug it into an entirely different PC, windows would notice that too many things changed and would require to phone home to re-activate)

On the other hand, if you had to replace your entire motherboard then you'll likely run into windows activation problems... But just a CPU change shouldn't be an issue.

(If a LOT of things change then it's really hit-or-miss, especially if you change architectures. If you go intel -> AMD or vice-versa, then there is a good chance you'd end up with a blue screen on boot, although I've gotten lucky with that in the past as well)

Derron(Posted May) [#3]
Newer CPUs are only supported on Windows 10 - and are not operateable on Windows7/8 without hacking/patching some files (which might get overridden with updates).

So check first what CPUs are affected.

bye
Ron

grable(Posted May) [#4]
Newer CPUs are only supported on Windows 10 - and are not operateable on Windows7/8 without hacking/patching some files
Really? I thought it only pertained to the new stuff in the CPU.
As in, Windows 7 doesnt natively have access to newer instructions and some power management features, which probably means that applications dont either (since the OS doesnt save states and whatnot).
But as a replacement, its equally functional as the old CPU.

coffeedotbean(Posted May) [#5]
All latest CPU's will work fine on Windows 7 just some cpu features wont be supported or provided with updates, such as display driver updates for integrated graphics, windows 7 for example has no native support for USB 3.0/3.1 or new SSD storage formats. It's time to upgrade and you can prob still do it for free via https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

I don't believe there will ever be a point the machine will refuse to boot because you're using Windows 7 on an older CPU generation, you just wont get updates.

Derron(Posted May) [#6]
maybe "operateable" sounds as if you cannot use it - but you cannot use it "throughfully" (hope this is the right word).

So coffeedotbean is right, support might be no longer given for these CPUs (so updates etc.)

for more read for example this:
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/17/microsoft-blocks-updates-for-new-cpus-on-windows-7-and-8-1/

bye
Ron

dynaman(Posted May) [#7]
> maybe "operateable" sounds as if you cannot use it - but you cannot use it "throughfully" (hope this is the right word).

And even then it is almost always the motherboard that is the bottleneck rather than the OS.

GW(Posted May) [#8]
Newer CPUs are only supported on Windows 10 - and are not operateable on Windows7/8 without hacking/patching some files (which might get overridden with updates).

Nope.
I just built a new comp with a kabylake I7-7700K 4.20GHZ and I run Win7 just fine. My new Asus Z170 motherboard also has win7 drivers including usb3.1

xlsior(Posted May) [#9]
Ms explicitly announced that 7th gen kaby Lake cpus will Not be able to download updates for win7/8. Your initial install will work, but your on your own after that.

feeble1(Posted May) [#10]
I upgraded to a AMD Ryzem based system. I tried and failed to run Win 7. I eventually went with Win 10. If you already have Win 7/8 you can upgrade for free on the Microsoft accessibility site. 10 isn't horrible. It seems slower for single threaded processes and faster for others.

Hotcakes(Posted May) [#11]

Lots of mixed info here.

If you swap CPUs, but don't change your motherboard, you will be fine...

Unless your new CPU is a 7th gen Intel (Ix-7xxx), in which case MS will artificially limit your ability to use Windows/MS Update.

Nothing else changes.

If you need to change your motherboard, you will be running on essentially a new device. If your new motherboard is the same chipset brand as your old motherboard (Intel-->Intel or AMD-->AMD, you will likely get away with not having to reinstall the OS. If your new motherboard is a different chipset brand, you may or may not be able to get away without reinstalling. If you do need to reinstall, if you have an OEM key for Win7, it will no longer be valid and you may start getting Activation errors.

(tu) ENAY(Posted May) [#12]
It's sad we live in a world where this is even an issue..

xlsior(Posted May) [#13]
Especially since there is no technical reason for it to not work on the 7th gen processors, MS just made a marketing decision to force win10 down your throat.

(There are registry hacks to re-enable updates after all)

Hotcakes(Posted May) [#14]
Huh. I'm surprised they didn't do it server side.

xlsior(Posted May) [#15]
Server side typically uses Xeon.

Hotcakes(Posted May) [#16]
I mean disapproving Windows machines for updates via MS servers.

xlsior(Posted May) [#17]
I'd think that the rejection IS happening server side, but with the PC passing along faked CPU info to the server, the server sees no reason to reject it.

Hotcakes(Posted May) [#18]
Ah yes, that makes sense.

Rick Nasher(Posted May) [#19]
Afaik understood on Skylake Win7 was still 'useable' after injecting drivers into the windows image, which are required as the Skylake chipset doesn't hold the required USB drivers + if using an PCIe NVMe SSD, you'll need to inject drivers for that, especially the IRST.

This as they(Intel/MS) removed these drivers from the chipset and into Win10. Of course Win7 doesn't have these drivers and therefore patches are required.

But with chipsets for the Kabylake CPU's it's even worse and Win7 support is dropped by most major HW manufacturers that follow specs by intel/MS. If the Mainboard has a custom chipset with support for different CPU's it probably still works. Don't count on non-consumer manufacturers to follow that road though.