Food mechanics

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Food mechanics

Rooster(Posted May) [#1]
I've been thinking; other than hunger bars and temporary stat boosts/healing, are there any incentive to use food in a survival type game? For the purpose of discussion I'm going to count morale meters as a form of hunger bar.

Like if I was trying to make a survival game with no sat boosts/healing from food, there would be no incentive for the player to a eat a key lime pie over a roast beef.
In really life people like to eat a variety of foods, and will eat just for enjoyment.
In video games is there any real way to recreate that?

So anybody have ideas, or of know of games that do this? All I can think of is just making the food visually appealing.

xlsior(Posted May) [#2]
No matter how you approach it, food will always be either busy work, or just resource management. Hard to change that, since you don't get the real-world 'reward' associated with an actual good-tasting meal.

Rooster(Posted May) [#3]
I guess that is the core of the problem, although I'd rather try and solve it than not.
What you said about there not being a real-world reward made me think.

In Minecraft I always start stocking all of the different foods, which you have to hunt down some of the ingredients for. And things like fishing can fun in of itself. So maybe it's the journey and not destination thats the solution.

Going back to the "beef vs pie" thing: for example key limes could be a rare plant, and you would have to explore to find them. And once you have them, what is the point of having them and not using them (assuming you have a food spoiling mechanic)?

Thoughts?

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#4]
why not make it so it gives a little less satisfaction every time you eat the same thing over a period. Much like people who always eat x food they get bored with it after a while.

dynaman(Posted May) [#5]
Add a mental health stat to the characters. Having preferable food will increase that stat. What that stat actually means in game though, no idea.

The idea of what is desireable is situational too, US troops in WWII gladly traded their canned rations for fresh fruit and booze - while the people they traded with were happy to get the US rations.

Rooster(Posted May) [#6]
@EdzUp MkII
@dynaman
Satisfaction and mental health would both kind of go under morale meters.
But a stress stat work nicely in a survival game, even if it's still kind of a morale meter.
I think stress has some physical effects, and having the effectiveness of the food go down with use would keep the players most abundant food from being a cheep de-stresser.

And there is nothing stopping you from using this system on things like art of music.
It would also give alcohol and dugs non bogus use in games.

What do you guys think?

coffeedotbean(Posted May) [#7]
Maybe add a Diet system, all about a balanced diet, too much or not enough fat, sugar, salt, vitamins will have effects on your character. E.G a 1st person game; too much fat and you walk slower or have reduced stamina? too much sugar and your aim is off or bouncing around, too much salt and you lose water faster etc.

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#8]
the whole thing is a fine balancing act and one that we could debate well into next century but I do believe that it's one now the reasons it was all lumped into the one Hunger bar.

Rooster(Posted May) [#9]
@coffeedotbean
I've had a similar idea, but I never thought about it affecting things like aim.

@EdzUp MkII
Debate and discussion are part of why I made this topic. =)

Also in my last post I didn't make it very clear that I using you and dynaman's idea, that's been bugging me since I posted it.

xlsior(Posted May) [#10]
In the old Redneck rampage FPS, picking up a bottle of booze would temporarily disable your left or right turns so you'd have to drunkenly wander in circles

dynaman(Posted May) [#11]
> In the old Redneck rampage FPS, picking up a bottle of booze would temporarily disable your left or right turns so you'd have to drunkenly wander in circles

But it increased health! Loved that game.

Rooster(Posted May) [#12]
Well that sounds like "fun". lol

Yue(Posted May) [#13]

Rooster(Posted May) [#14]
Umm... we are friends right Yue? :P

Yue(Posted May) [#15]
:) Yes. Only
It's just a food joke.

(tu) ENAY(Posted May) [#16]
The only food mechanics you need to know are:-

Meat = 100% health regen
Fruit = 20-30% health regen

Yue(Posted May) [#17]
I think water is important.
Without water the character begins to delirious.

(tu) ENAY(Posted May) [#18]

I think water is important.
Without water the character begins to delirious.

In the scrolling beat-em-up world, water is not needed. ;)

Rooster(Posted May) [#19]
I feel like I'm missing a few in-jokes here, care to fill me in?