Using Blitzmax for the longterm

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Using Blitzmax for the longterm

Rooster(Posted May) [#1]
I've got a few questions about using Blitzmax for the longterm.

First off, was the 64 bit problem ever sorted out? All of I've found on the topic is from years ago. Has anyone been working with the source code on that?

Two, is there any reason to move to MonkeyX other than more platforms?

Are there any other things that could necessitate moving to a different programming languages? If so what would be a good replacement for Bmax?

Thank you for your time and any answers.

Yue(Posted May) [#2]
I think the 64 bit is not that the a big problem for a long time. However there is a version called BlitzMax NG, which if not this poorly compiles to 64 bits. The move to Monkey is directly related to projects that are cross-platform, but all this goes into perspective with what is wanted.

Rooster(Posted May) [#3]
So NG can compile 64 bit? I've been meaning to look in to it for a while now, so that just another reason to do so.

Thanks!

xlsior(Posted May) [#4]
So NG can compile 64 bit? I've been meaning to look in to it for a while now, so that just another reason to do so.

Yes, NG will do 64-bit, as well as Android and Raspberry Pi.

Rooster(Posted May) [#5]
... as well as Android and Raspberry Pi.

Sweet!

xlsior(Posted May) [#6]
(IIRC Brucey's also been working on web (js) and iOS (ipad), but no idea what the status of those two is)

Kryzon(Posted May) [#7]
You're talking about tools, but you haven't yet mentioned what are your goals.
What exactly are you trying to do?

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#8]
What about ipv6 was that ever sorted as that is one thing which seems to be rearing it's head more and more.

degac(Posted May) [#9]
I'm using on Windows10 64bit - with no problems - applications (many!) written in BlitzMax vanilla (1.50)
They are of course GUI applications, not game, so I suspect *potential* problems could be in graphics/sounds new driver/framework that will be introduced (if any) by new OS updates.

Considering that the applications I wrote run on Windows95, Windows98, Vista, Windows7 / 8 /8.1 and Windows 10 I'm feeling optimistic about the 'longterm use' of BlitzMax.

In any case - in emergency situation - there's always BMX NG solution.

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#10]
@degac: whilst I do agree that Max can be used for the long term especially with NG now part of the mix I would love to see a fix for the ipv6 problem that keeps making an appearance and is even more prevalent these days.

Does NG have networking at present and access to the base level hardware so we can add or write a 3d engine yet? I would love to see something like minib3d ported to NG :)

GW(Posted May) [#11]
Regular blitzmax works fine in 64bit and will for a long time.

Bmax NG has near 100% compatibility with regular blitzmax and even has some extra features like type constructors taking arguments, method overloading and multi-threaded performance is 100% of single threaded performance (plus the android target).

MonkeyX is simpler language and not as versatile as Bmax, but has the advantage of all of the targets (mobile, html ect). But it can't do threading, pointers, has very limited mod support and basically a poorer choice for desktop apps and games. (but better for mobile and web)

Regular Bmax and Bmax NG have many years of usefulness left in them.

Yue(Posted May) [#12]
For my expectations BlitzMax native is very good, runs on 64-bit windows 32-bit applications without problems.

But in case it is depending on the specs, if you need exclusively the 64 bit compiler go for BlitzMax NG, and if you need andorid equally go by NG. If you only need Windows or Linux the native BlitzMax still very good and as it has been commented to 32 bits will work for a long time.

xlsior(Posted May) [#13]
If you only need Windows or Linux the native BlitzMax still very good and as it has been commented to 32 bits will work for a long time

On windows, yes -- on Linux, 32-bit is getting more and more of a problem since he 32-bit runtime libraries aren't installed or shipped by default with all distributions.

Yue(Posted May) [#14]
@XLSIOR

It's good to know the data, since I only use Windows 64-bit, that stability in Windows was the same for other operating systems.

Rooster(Posted May) [#15]
Thanks guys! :)

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#16]
OSX El Capitan still runs max apps fine on my Mac Mini so it appears only Linux is having issues with libraries.

Does anyone have a one stop solution to it?

GW(Posted May) [#17]
It's Linux. There is no 'one stop solution' to anything...

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#18]
@GW: good point lol

well if there was a minib3d for NG it would be brilliant but at present I'm looking at native :)

xlsior(Posted May) [#19]
OSX El Capitan still runs max apps fine on my Mac Mini so it appears only Linux is having issues with libraries.

For now -- Apple did announce the end of the road for 32-bit apps on iOS:
http://www.macworld.com/article/3163248/ios/the-future-of-ios-is-64-bit-only-apple-to-stop-support-of-32-bit-apps.html

I'm sure that MacOS will follow at some point as well. Unlike Microsoft who goes out of their way to attempt to support old stuff as long as possible, apple has had no qualms to burn all backwards compatibility at multiple points in their history.

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#20]
yeah true iirc they killed off 32bit mac machines overnight with one version of osx and Sierra don't install n me mac as it's "incompatible" lol

GW(Posted May) [#21]
well if there was a minib3d for NG it would be brilliant

OpenB3d works fine with NG (in windows)

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#22]
what about on OSX etc or is it just a windows only engine?

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#23]
One thing that would bring longevity to max would be the ipv6 fix :)

grindalf(Posted May) [#24]
which is more future proof, BlitzMax or Blitz3D?

GW(Posted May) [#25]
BLitzmax, by every measure.

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#26]
agreed Max has everything blitzed has apart from the 3d engine and being tied to windows dx7 (a system so depricated that Microsoft would have to do a archeological dig just to find it).

xlsior(Posted May) [#27]
agreed Max has everything blitzed has apart from the 3d engine and being tied to windows dx7 (a system so depricated that Microsoft would have to do a archeological dig just to find it).

Blitzmax isn't 'tied to DX7' in any way, shape, or form -- at it's core, it's agnostic and you can use whatever graphics library you want. In addition to DirectX 7, it also has both OpenGL and DirectX 9 built in, or you can use DirectX11 using the free srs.mod.

Select the graphics driver you want at the start of your program, and you're done.

Kryzon(Posted May) [#28]
I think he meant "BMax does not have the 3D engine nor the dependency on DirectX 7 like Blitz3D does".

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#29]
Kryzon is correct :)

JoshK(Posted May) [#30]
BlitzMaxNG is not completely compatible with BlitzMax code. It may or may not work for you, but I started to get into it and immediately hit problems.

GW(Posted May) [#31]
BlitzMaxNG is not completely compatible with BlitzMax code. It may or may not work for you, but I started to get into it and immediately hit problems.

It's a work in progress and already compatibility is very high. I've already migrated a few large projects to NG.

I think once the heap-object-count issue gets solved with the GC, It can be a solid replacement vanilla blitzmax.