MP3 licensing no longer required after April 23 2017?

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/MP3 licensing no longer required after April 23 2017?

BlitzSupport(Posted April) [#1]
Thought this would interest a few here...

https://madfileformatscience.garymcgath.com/2017/04/20/mp3-april-23/

Don't distribute MP3s in projects without a licence yet without checking for yourself, but that's pretty cool if correct.

Matty(Posted April) [#2]
That's fantastic...but I wonder how many indie/smaller developers ever knew about this licence requirement and whether the licence holders ever chased them for licence fees.

popcade(Posted April) [#3]
Have move to OGG, no problems yet, better quality and smaller size...

Well.... it's a long time sinece I first seen the MP3 format tho.

Grisu(Posted April) [#4]
Does this also mean that I can include the lame.dll in my app distribution package now? PRP can use that library for encoding.

Hotcakes(Posted April) [#5]
LAME is open source software unconnected to licensing of an audio format, you'd need to check the redistribution allowances. I've never seen any audio processing software ship with LAME included, so I'd say redistribution is limited. Goldwave has functionality to automatically download, unzip and copy the dll to where it needs it, so you could do something similar upon first run/installation process.

(tu) ENAY(Posted April) [#6]
That's just LAME!

;)

Henri(Posted April) [#7]
LAME isn't distributed only because of mp3 licensing, but if mp3 patent expires then you are free to include it in your software (following LGPL licence.)

-Henri

xlsior(Posted April) [#8]
I've never seen any audio processing software ship with LAME included, so I'd say redistribution is limited.

Not necessarily. For example, Audacity didn't bundle LAME because doing so put THEM on the hook for the MP3 licensing -- just because you give your program away for free, didn't exempt you from having to pay the MP3 licensing fee for each and every downloaded copy after a certain number.

Hotcakes(Posted April) [#9]
Good to know. Thanks.