Grey Alien gets prime time coverage

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Grey Alien gets prime time coverage

Hotcakes(Posted April) [#1]
Via, you know, YouTube.

https://youtu.be/OxD9TmBD9pA?t=3h12m

Spoilers: TB is not fond of simple match 3s.

AdamStrange(Posted April) [#2]
it didn't get a good time. Infact they roasted it comparing it in essence to shovel ware made out of unity template and some images.

So...

TeaBoy(Posted April) [#3]
Very harsh, the people on this podcast could not create that, they assume it was a 'template', didn't mention ANYTHING constructive.

They also ALL have very poor speaking skills!

TomToad(Posted April) [#4]
To be fair, he did use a template. It just so happens to be a template he created himself.

I had tried my hand at creating a match3 called Jungle Safari
The actual code is not that difficult for anyone with a bit of experience programming, the difficulty is in that spit-n-polish. making the game look good, making it challenging without being too challenging, adding bells-n-whistles without compromising the game play. The kinds of things that can't be accomplished through any kind of template. For reference, compare this screen shot from my little project to spring bonus.

coffeedotbean(Posted April) [#5]
So is Grey Alien now going to sue them and Jim Sterlin? that seems to be the in thing to do.

Matty(Posted April) [#6]
Yeah...that's what happens when a bunch of people who don't like an entire genre of games decides to review something from that genre.

I don't think it will faze Grey Alien - he knows his market and it's not these guys or their kind.

Hotcakes(Posted April) [#7]
Exactly. I understand he did quite well for himself back in the day before Steam let on every rubbish thing.

They also ALL have very poor speaking skills!

lol

So is Grey Alien now going to sue them and Jim Sterlin? that seems to be the in thing to do.

It'd get him all sorts of 'publicity':p

that's what happens when a bunch of people who don't like an entire genre of games decides to review something from that genre.

To be fair, it was a view, not a review.

Hardcoal(Posted April) [#8]
I think your games are great alien.. so no worries about a bunch of dudues

(tu) ENAY(Posted April) [#9]
Ironically Spring Bonus was around before Candy Crush, but that's the problem. So many people hate Candy Crush and it ruining Match3 in general. But you can't blame those guys for their opinions, they tend to look at next gen, top tier games, they aren't going to know the ins and outs of indie games especially Match3 ones and they've no doubt been fatigued by the amount of shit games that appear on steam. We should be blaming all the shit developers out there who are making reviewers feel like this.

Hotcakes(Posted April) [#10]
they aren't going to know the ins and outs of indie games

And if they knew better they'd be questioning why such an old game is being 'released' in 2017. I find it surprising that GA has only just started to use Steam... or are his games owned by a publisher?

(tu) ENAY(Posted April) [#11]
I sometimes watch the podcast and I think regarding this, it's basically just a throw away gag, it's Easter, let's get some game in that vaguely resembles Easter and a game that most of us hate to play (those guys hating the game, not me) Nothing too sinister.

I agree they were a bit cruel, and over the top facetious. It wasn't a very nice thing to do, especially to a game that just by looking at the movie is clearly well polished, but when you've got hundreds of those sorts of games appearing on steam (which by 2017 is an overly done genre) you can hardly expect them to be nice about it.

By the way, despite the critisicm, I would love to have one of my games ripped on rather than forgotten in the mist, I bet nobody here even remembers any of my 12 games. Whether a game is good or bad depends entirely on you, I would love to be able to say that Total Biscuit ripped on my game, an honour that I doubt any of us here will ever have. Match 3 fans watching the video seeing that, they might buy it. I'd probably buy it if it was on Vita, I love Match 3 games, not enough of them on Vita.