Community Forums/Technical Discourse/.

EOF(Posted April) [#1]

Rick Nasher(Posted April) [#2]
MS is going to ritually sacrifice our privates.. eh, privacy? ;-)

xlsior(Posted April) [#3]
Fine, but the scary part to be aware of is the total container-load of data MS want to suck from your very soul. Here is just the BASIC level of diagnostics being collected:

Heh.

Keep in mind, the creator's update is actually harvesting significantly LESS than the current version of Win10 does; MS has 'reevaluated' everything they need, cut out some of the more over-the-top harvesting, and finally got around to actually publish a list of what they are doing in order to prevent official inquiries and smack-downs by the European Union and other countries.

Winni(Posted April) [#4]
Remember though, its all in a good cause.

Yeah. The real problem is that it just doesn't matter whether they collect all there is to know about you or not. If MS doesn't find it on your PC, Apple will find it on your iGadget or FaceBook and Google will find it on the Internet.

At this point, unless laws that we don't have yet put a stopper to all of this - and those laws will never come because they would criminalize the intelligence services of any country on the planet, especially the one you live in - there's nothing to be done except for either live totally off the grid, use only non-networked technology (also known as: go back to the 1980s) or live with it. And no, the encryption options that are available to Jane and John Doe won't protect you against that massive computing power that the NSA & their colleagues possess. (Not to mention that the NSA made sure years ago that all commercial encryption products either use broken algorithms or contain back doors.)

And, seriously -- I have less problems with Microsoft collecting some stupid data about me than I have with the NSA or the German BND spying on me. Call me nuts, but at least Microsoft is in it for the money and they want to keep making money by selling things to me -- they're not in it to harm me. I have much more doubts in this regard about the NSA and BND and GCQH.

dynaman(Posted April) [#5]
> and those laws will never come because they would criminalize the intelligence services of any country on the planet,

Laws can easily be crafted to exempt government surveillance. The real problem now is that the government in the US is more curtailed then corporations are.

xlsior(Posted April) [#6]
Yeah. The real problem is that it just doesn't matter whether they collect all there is to know about you or not

It matters in the case of MS in that they are a convicted monopolist, and as a monopoly they have to conform to an addition set of rules that don't apply to non-monopolists.

coffeedotbean(Posted April) [#7]
I reluctantly force installed the update over the weekend so it wont surprise me later on, it broke my 64bit version of Paintshop X9 for some reason, the 32bit version works so I'll just chug along with that for now, the reg hacks I had to disable cortanta remained (still no cortana.. yay), the "game mode" was turned on by default, I noticed long delays (longer than usual) in alt-tabbing and closing games, turned it off and back to to normal now, noticed no FPS increase with it on.

As to Privacy M$ should be 100% transparent on what they collect, how it's stored and who has access to it.