It is Time for putting all Monkey X, 2 and BlitzBasic Together in ONE Website?

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/It is Time for putting all Monkey X, 2 and BlitzBasic Together in ONE Website?

Hotshot2005(Posted April) [#1]
I mean you only need look at The Game Creator Forum as it is very active there because they put all in one forum such as Darkbasic, Game App Kit, First Person Creator.

Why Couldnt Mark(Blitzbasic Creator) put all Monkey X, Monkey 2 and all BlitzBasic in ONE Website as I am sure it is would be more Active when people posting forum.

I look at Monkey 2 forum and only one person posting the forum making looking like Ghost Town :-(

Worse things that Mark done was Splitting the Community to build new Forum for Monkey X and now he doing it again for Monkey 2. It seem to me that people been put off by having register this and that and so on.

Now he is Building 3D for Monkey 2 which seem that he should build that back in 2009 when Community were requesting for Blitz 3D DirectX 9 or new Blitz Engine in 2008!

It seem too late isnt it because everyone going different directions looking for new things such as GDOT or Gamemaker Studio 2 or Construct 3 or whatever.

Fielder(Posted April) [#2]
maybe :)

Rick Nasher(Posted April) [#3]
Perhaps he was thinking(and perhaps correctly): Monkey is not for everyone who likes Blitz Basic languages, as it is very different, so the criticism from Basic lovers/monkey haters would pollute the monkey forum and scare away potential customers.

Also the stigma that BASIC is not a real programming language( B stands for 'Beginners') might stop/hinder the language from being accepted as a real and mature language by the general, larger public(for what ever that is, some peoples prejudices don't mean a thing to me) .

Which I can fully understand from that point of view, but would still be nice to have em all in one place I think from an evolutionary perspective and regarding forum visit numbers.

I'd like to present a new name and slogan for Monkey2 when Mark is done:
"Monkey3D is here.. - Let's go Banana's with this stuff!"

Would be nice if he can make the 3d module for Monkey2 usable under BlitzMax NG, so that *both* communities would benefit and BRL could cash in a bit on people who prefer BASIC-like languages (I'd give my $ for sure).

skidracer(Posted April) [#4]
I don't agree.

Next year when MX2 is finished and is suitable for more than just expert early adopters maybe.

Monkey-X has a core set of pro-users who expect ongoing updates. As sales have reportedly remained consistent I don't think any disruption to it's community is warranted.

Blitzplotter(Posted April) [#5]
Keeping the products separate makes sense. MonkeyX is a strong product in its own right, the HTML 5 compiler alone stands up as a ground breaking software tool. Monkey2 will have a 3d element, making this another new product which is based on a different business model from the other BRL products.

In summary, I feel strongly that the separate sites cater for distinct products in their own right, so I also disagree with the initial post.

degac(Posted April) [#6]
I doubt how many people knows what exactly means 'BASIC' nowadays... surely BlitzMax and Blitz3d has no refer of it in the name.

Only the website www.blitzbasic.com (www.blitzmax.com is 'safe') refers to this term... a positive thing (IMO) for 'beginners' (they could use blitzbasic, blitz3d and blitzmax for 'free' now) - maybe for 'expert' this could think otherwise.

The only (and mainly) worry is about the split of the users across the different sites: finding a solution to join AND make clear there are different things/products would be fine (of course manual and code are different, so a 'programming forum' has no sense at all - it will create only confusion).

I don't know, maybe in the 'main menu' titlebar (home, community, manuals, account) Skid could put a direct link to MonkeyX/Monkey2 website, just to remember everyone that this is the 'grandpa' of every language in BRL.

ps: light OT, but what about the 'black, void & unnamed' bar at the top? No ideas?

c0Zm1c(Posted April) [#7]
I made a post about this on the Monkey 2 forum back in January:

Monkey never needed a separate site/forum, and it still doesn’t. A bigger community, even if it comprises people who frequent for different reasons/platforms, is typically a stronger one – that’s how the Blitz community grew, and why segregation is causing conflict now.

As I recall, BlitzMax had its detractors too, but quickly became a big part of the Blitz community. That could have happened with Monkey, and could have been happening now with Monkey 2 if was all a part of the same forum.

A new site with a more appropriate name/URL that encompasses all the different development platforms from BRL/Mark would be great, but.. it's not going to happen because those in control are incapable of seeing the benefits so there's not much point dwelling on it.

coffeedotbean(Posted April) [#8]
I have to say I do miss the "golden years" of Blitz which was the time that blitzcoder.com was a thing. Good times, I just hope Mark doesn't think a community will organically spring up around MX2.. cus it wont, it will need to be nurtured and actively sought.

Dan(Posted April) [#9]
Why wouldnt i put the sites together ?

Sure the benefit lies in the bigger community, and eventually one or another will switch to the newer product, but:
Just look at the code archives and each .bmax code in the .bb category.

skidracer(Posted April) [#10]

I just hope Mark doesn't think a community will organically spring up around MX2.. cus it wont, it will need to be nurtured and actively sought.

the sense of entitlement in this statement blows my mind

BlitzMan(Posted April) [#11]
Instead of you lot whining about,should all forums be together.If you use BlitzMax stick to that forum,if you use Blitz3D stick to that forum.Whats the problem FFS.

@Hotshot2005
I look at Monkey 2 forum and only one person posting the forum making looking like Ghost Town :-(

good it cuts down on the drivel.

steve_ancell(Posted April) [#12]
I don't see any reason for combining Monkey and Blitz on the same sites, as long as we can access the tools then that's all that matters.

coffeedotbean(Posted April) [#13]

the sense of entitlement in this statement blows my mind

I'll give you some time to put your head back to together, but my point remains, Monkey was hardly a success outside of the community. I've been supporting MX2 on patreon since it went live but I guess wanting MX2 to succeed is asking too much.. silly me.

On topic, I am fine with the forums as is though I'd like to see all MX2 news and updates prominently posted on all Blitz websites.

Blitzplotter(Posted April) [#14]
Rome wasn't built in a day.

skidracer(Posted April) [#15]

I'll give you some time to put your head back to together, but my point remains, Monkey was hardly a success outside of the community.

Much appreciated.

I understand community is an important thing with some.

EdzUp MkII(Posted April) [#16]
I think community is important at least somewhere to ask questions. If the community dries up then it's a sad day for newbs trying to learn the language.

Blitzplotter(Posted April) [#17]
If the community dries up then it's a sad day for newbs trying to learn the language.

I agree, my coding time these days is diminishing due to life commitments. I'm creeping up on my 6th decade on the world and my enthusiasm for coding and exercise has kept me going, to say the least. Testing my GPS analysis ideas within both Blitz3D and Monkey (HTML5 platform) has given me much intellectual satisfaction and gratification over the years. Moreover, its made me a damn site fitter than I may have been otherwise...

Community is important, however, with the multitude of distractions facing the human race these days for their free time - coding has a tough battle on its hands as a pastime of choice.

I still stand by my point about the different sites standing on their own two feet.