if you live in the US....good bye privacy

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/if you live in the US....good bye privacy

Matty(Posted March) [#1]
https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/3/27/15073162/fcc-broadband-internet-privacy-rules-congress-vote

(tu) ENAY(Posted March) [#2]
What was the reason given for this privacy being given away in the US?

Isn't the UK already a Police state when it comes to Internet? i think ISPs already have to store a year worth of data, by law.

Living in Japan, none of that yet. I guess it's only a matter of time...

grable(Posted March) [#3]
It would seem that total surveillance is the end-goal for most of the countries on this planet :(
Isnt it odd that even "nice" countries in europe want to do the exact same thing as "bad" countries with dictators?
Its like they are all following some plan to create this "one world government" that they are all so fond of. And that will be the death of us.

(tu) ENAY(Posted March) [#4]
I think they're basically scared that the power have so much power these days. We need protecting from terrorism by having all our stuff watched, just like in 1984.

Comopare that to here in Japan where CCTV even in big cities isn't all that common (although it is increasing) and there is no surveillance on the Internet. And yet there's never been a reported incident of foreign terrorism here.

Pretty sure though that e-mails with zipped files, that's encryption right? Pretty sure it's almost impossible to keep tabs on the entire world. Billions of people every second, how do you track all of it?

grable(Posted March) [#5]
Pretty sure it's almost impossible to keep tabs on the entire world. Billions of people every second, how do you track all of it?
Its a hard problem for sure, but what else are they gonna use all those super-computers for? Its several times a year where china, us, or some other country boast about their new machine thats better than all the rest. There is even a top 500 list!
with all those machines connected together (under their one world governement i presume) you can start to see how they could process every phone call/message or whatever.

Rick Nasher(Posted March) [#6]
Eavesdropping by the gov is nothing new, it's there since the beginnings of the internet/telecoms. They are monitoring for ages already, using large computers embedded round the globe. It's called Echelon of which we only know a glimpse of I'm sure. In the past it was listening for certain trigger words and when enough in one convo: knock-knock, who's there? It's I, the police.

You see this as perverse if you like, but it will get worse as private companies get the power to mess with your privacy even more than ever before.

Polarix(Posted March) [#7]
Isn't usa the whole world?

grable(Posted March) [#8]
Eavesdropping by the gov is nothing new
True, but what we are going towards now is nothing like Echelon, its Total Surveillance. Where everything we do is tracked and monitored.
It already creeps me out with what facebook (presumably) does today. Where you can talk to a friend on the phone about Y and sometime later an ad for Y pops up on your facebook wall.

So if you like your privacy, stop using social media. Especially on your phone.

Hotcakes(Posted March) [#9]
if you live in the US

I'm sure you're aware Aus has been infringing your privacy since Abbott got in, too...

yet there's never been a reported incident of foreign terrorism here.

It's almost as if having a strong border/immigration policy and not letting in millions of people completely unvetted ("I dream of a world without borders" - Clinton) is good for the security of your populace, or something.

I remember after 9/11 when as an Australian I felt absolutely no threat whatsoever. The same cannot be said today.

Isn't usa the whole world?

As far as the NSA are concerned, they may as well be.

Where you can talk to a friend on the phone about Y and sometime later an ad for Y pops up on your facebook wall.

Pfft, that's baby stuff. I went to an amusement park and Facebook knew I was there and asked me for a review - yet I don't have FB installed on my phone, only ever use it on desktops.

Matty(Posted March) [#10]
The difference is in Australia our government collects ip address information.

In the US the government is going to allow ISPs to sell your complete data to anyone and everyone commercially.

That's a big difference. At least in Aus only the government and its agencies have access. In the US every person who can afford to pay can have access to any information they like - if the price is right.

grable(Posted March) [#11]
I went to an amusement park and Facebook knew I was there and asked me for a review - yet I don't have FB installed on my phone, only ever use it on desktops.
Damn, i assume you had GPS enabled? Maybe apple/google has deals with Facebook and other parties to sell such information...
Another reason i ive disabled all google crap on my phone, almost never use GPS and only enable the data connection when i need to.
I also have tape over both cameras lol, so my smart-phone is no longer that smart ;)

(tu) ENAY(Posted March) [#12]
I still don't even have a smartphone. Also the past year I use my Vita for Internet usage. I suspect the way the Vita operates and has little memory / local cache area to store stuff that none of it gets stores. Advertisements for example on youtube don't even show. And I suspect for similiar reasons sites that do show ads really do just show random ones.

I hate smartphones because I hate developing them, but yeah a mobile spying device doesn't appear to me in the slightest. I often end up getting spam and stuff that my wife has been looking at :)

Floyd(Posted March) [#13]
I jog at a local nature preserve and sometimes take pictures there. The embedded time/date/GPS is very handy. And they get synced to other devices, another convenience.

But recently Google requested that I upload pictures to Google Maps. That was unexpected, but at least voluntary. If my ISP starts selling my data I at least want a piece of the action.

xlsior(Posted March) [#14]
What was the reason given for this privacy being given away in the US?

From what I gather, they said it's "unfair" that the law specifically prevents your ISP from harvesting and selling your information, but that facebook and google are still allowed too -- conveniently ignoring that you have a CHOICE not to use facebook or google, but need your ISP as a conduit to everything else -- and most people have very limited choices to picking an ISP since in most areas there's just one or two choices (cable, DSL)

Hotcakes(Posted March) [#15]
Damn, i assume you had GPS enabled?

Always. Learnt the hard way to always keep my phone traceable, won't let another get stolen with no repercussions again. But... you know... I installed an app to do that. That only has ties to Google (for the login/push systems).

Maybe apple/google has deals with Facebook and other parties to sell such information...

I mean of course that's possible, but probably I was tagged in a photo or status or something by one of the three other people I was with who do have Facebook on their phones :p

(tu) ENAY(Posted March) [#16]

From what I gather, they said it's "unfair" that the law specifically prevents your ISP from harvesting and selling your information, but that facebook and google are still allowed too -- conveniently ignoring that you have a CHOICE not to use facebook or google, but need your ISP as a conduit to everything else -- and most people have very limited choices to picking an ISP since in most areas there's just one or two choices (cable, DSL)

So what happens when people use free wifi at airports, starbucks or basically any area that does and have free wifi. How are they going to police your ISP then? In Japan there is practically free wifi everywhere at all train stations now, there are even free wifi on some of the ACTUAL trains as they move about.

xlsior(Posted March) [#17]
So what happens when people use free wifi at airports, starbucks or basically any area that does and have free wifi. How are they going to police your ISP then? In Japan there is practically free wifi everywhere at all train stations now, there are even free wifi on some of the ACTUAL trains as they move about.

Cross-referencing cookies can identify pretty much anyone, especially if your home ISP is allowed to sell you out.

And FWIW -- AT&T tried to charge people $29-$60 EXTRA for their services if they dared to opt out of the 'information sharing', although they backpeddled when they got too much negative press.

With the new rules, they can happily sell you out regardless:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/10/03/att-drops-its-controversial-extra-charge-for-priva.aspx

Matty(Posted March) [#18]
After seeing the logs on our network at work - and ISPs are not any different - every phrase you type into google, even the searches you delete and don't hit 'enter' on - every single comment you type - here and everywhere else will be recorded and able to be sold to the highest bidder.

It makes me want to turn my back on the internet.

Heck - even a private online journal that I keep which I write my own private thoughts on and was written by myself - the traffic goes via the ISP and so they can onsell my private thoughts to insurance companies and the like as well....

All it takes for instance is a filter that scans for words such as 'health' for example and by combining keywords it can sell that to my health insurance provider and argue that perhaps I have a health problem and my premium should go up.

gpete(Posted March) [#19]
I would be surprised to find out they had enough employees or databases to bother searching thru the massive amounts of data that a system like that generates.
How many of you seriously do anything except skip the deluge of ads that are hitting the internet nowadays? Do you buy the products they are selling? If they intend to destroy us with our internet search behavior- by directing advertising at us, exposing our website choices to more ads, devising customized ads that they think work on us..... What a pathetic waste of time.
So Matty- what horrible things are found out on your network at work? Do they read emails- looking for scurrilous derision at management? Are they watching for people buying merchandise online or logging in Facebook? Playing computer games???

I suppose once they think they own us, and they try to sell us more useless stuff, they will be chasing their corporate tails against other corporations in thousands of micro-managed precision-guided ad campaigns.... and we will just say "no" to their garbage.

(tu) ENAY(Posted March) [#20]
I think in reality the fact that there are billions of people makes realisticly finding and profiling a bit of an impossibility. Context and viability of data is very hard to pin down.

Just because you search for something on google using your computer doesn't automatically mean it was you. And for context, let's say in Twitter you say

"Death to all xxx is something I would never say"

In Twitter that user might get banned because you used a machine scan worded for bad words or behaviour. Satire, sarcasm, quoting, none of these things can be gathered ever by a machine. Advertisements these days do a good job of pin pointing what sort of products you might buy but it's not perfect.

Recently youtube upped their system and caused all sorts of issues, including stuff such as this:-

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/youtube-censors-everyone-feminists-lgbt-vloggers-pundits-and-gamers/

I suppose once they think they own us, and they try to sell us more useless stuff, they will be chasing their corporate tails against other corporations in thousands of micro-managed precision-guided ad campaigns.... and we will just say "no" to their garbage.

I've been immune to adverts since I was a child, it might alert me to a product or keep it in my mind but it won't make me buy it, infact I might be even less likely to buy something maybe out of protest or just stubbornness. I hate McDonalds, have eaten there like 3 times in my life (because a friend waneted too) Yet I must have watched their ads thousands of times on TV, seen thousands upon thousands of poster style ads. I know all their slogans and everything, yet I've given them no money.

Are they watching for people buying merchandise online or logging in Facebook?

They probably post horrifying pictures of plates of Curry they created last night and put them on facebook. ;)

RemiD(Posted March) [#21]

I also have tape over both cameras lol

I went further :
i disconnected the built-in microphones and i put black tape over the built-in cameras on my tablet and on my laptop.
If i need to use a webcam or a microphone i connect a (better) external one.

"all you can say/do can be (will be) used against you"

Pakz(Posted March) [#22]
I am sure there are lots of (young and older) people who want to try to improve the world and will use possibilities like these to improve rather than 'destroy'

I for one will aplause when advertisements get served to me and are usefull. (Nice skills book ect.)

Have faith in good people who want to improve the world :)

MadJack(Posted March) [#23]
I wear a different costume each time I use my PC to throw off the surveillance algorithms. Today I'm batman.

RemiD(Posted March) [#24]
@Madjack>>you should try to breath some helium to "mask" your real voice, with this and your costume you will be totally stealthy ;)
youtube.com/watch?v=NM3hCqbleKI&t=0m26s

xlsior(Posted March) [#25]
@Madjack>>you should try to breath some helium to "mask" your real voice, with this and your costume you will be totally stealthy ;)

Skip the helium, and go for the sulphurhexafluoride to get your batman voice: ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvr9LFzOo50

RemiD(Posted March) [#26]
@xlsior>> :D