It's possible to create a forkof Blitzmax?

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/It's possible to create a forkof Blitzmax?

Fielder(Posted February) [#1]
and add the { } like c? (not removing the old sintax.. if else endif to maintan compatibility with Brucey modules)
is this very complicated?

i think bmax is very powerful language...but the name "BASIC" or "BLITZ" are not fine.,.. (blitz remember me some type of game for children.. and basic.. just something VERY OLD)

probably create a new version (with just some changes) can restore shine of this great project.

and maybe call it c-max.. or MaxC ... or something like that .. or a completely new name.. like NG-Max

with a new rewamped site.. the new language name.. a set of "Converted" and tested CODE-ARCHIVE snippets

P.S. maybe add a new function to add "TAGS" on the code... and display latest tag on the standard RUNTIME BLITZMAX EXCEPTION. (this can help to find bugs from users feedbacks)

(for example Pascal to Delphi .... increased the prestige of language.. from a School level to a Professional level.. without doing nothing)

Naughty Alien(Posted February) [#2]
+1

xlsior(Posted February) [#3]
and maybe call it c-max..

Ford may not like that:

... or MaxC ... or something like that

Um... That seems far worse than Blitzmax, if you want people to take it seriously:

Maybe something more generic like NG+

Either way, forking it again seems a bad idea, since Brucey is clearly the go-to guy at this point. Perhaps you can convince him of renaming his project, but if you split it off again it will in all likelihood not go very far, is the past decade is anything to go by.

Fielder(Posted February) [#4]
i like NG+

ok brucey can (maybe) rename it to NG+ and add "{" "}" ?

grable(Posted February) [#5]
But why??? Its called Basic for a reason. If you want curly braces that bad, why not just use C or any of the other C-like languages?

Now dont get me wrong, i love me some curleys too! But adding them to blitz would completely change the language, and in fact create ambiguities since the blitz grammar relies on EOL in certain places.

Besides, there is no need to fork it or pester brucey to change his NG (which i assure you he wont do).
When all you need is a translator, take in your snowflake language, spit out bmx. Done.

degac(Posted February) [#6]
The main advantage of BlitzMax (where do you see 'basic' word??) is the clear and simple syntax: no strange symbols like in C/C++ (-> * { } etc)

BlitzMax NG is keeping this adding new (under the hood) things: no need to change the aesthetics to 'imitate' other languages.

ps: { } curly brakets are already present in BlitzMax to manage reflection I think.

Derron(Posted February) [#7]
They (Mr. { and Mrs. }) exist in Blitzmax and are used for meta-data.

bye
Ron

grable(Posted February) [#8]
where do you see 'basic' word??
I dont know, maybe because of its precursor, BlitzBasic?
It isnt there in its name sure, but the syntax isnt much different from the previous languages, leading to the assumption that it is a flavor of Basic. A nice one without all the worts of the originals, but still a Basic.

Cocopino(Posted February) [#9]
Brackets and semicolons are little more than syntactic noise.
If the compiler doesn't need them, why would you? Single line for loops?

Derron(Posted February) [#10]
single line for loops:
for local i:int = 0 to 10;print i;next

To concat commands you use ";" in BlitzMax

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott(Posted February) [#11]

When all you need is a translator, take in your snowflake language, spit out bmx. Done.

This ^

skidracer(Posted February) [#12]
I detest the idea of desecrating .bmx with squiggly brackets, but fail to see how use of a racial slur * is appropriate.

* I did some research, and yeh fascinating as hell. I am still kinda uncomfortable with the term. Which I suspect opens me to attack on all fronts :(

Steve Elliott(Posted February) [#13]
Yep Snowflake is the term Trump people use, because for once in their life they won something/passed an exam. Until the orange twat blows up the planet.

skidracer(Posted February) [#14]
Wow, this could be the end of Godwin's_law in which ignorance trumps evil.

LT(Posted February) [#15]
I did some research
That definition is news to me. Interesting in that it's the political opposite of what I've seen, lately.
is the term Trump people use
This. I think it started as a referral to progressive college students bent on silly entitlements, but has been extended to include anyone liberal.

Fielder(Posted February) [#16]
how can you think that students that learn JAVA and C++ at school.. can use the blitzmax?

on next years blitzmax (a language that i like very much) is just destinated to disappear because old skilled developers where completely dazed from the age...

i see this every day... new generations (programmer by school) are nonexistent in BlitzMax .. there are just hobbyst.. that are not able to make something on Android or windows or MacOS...

a Fork mean:

new users from a new generation, that Maybe can keep this great programming language alive on 2020-2030

the fork is not working? nothing lost.. .the Bmax is still here.

skidracer(Posted February) [#17]
IMHO either you use the tools at your disposal to complete and publish your awesome project or you find some fault with said tool and never complete or publish anything.

Brucey(Posted February) [#18]
how can you think that students that learn JAVA and C++ at school.. can use the blitzmax?

It's just another programming language - which are all inherently similar in the things that they do.
Someone who can code in Java and C++ shouldn't have any trouble picking up BlitzMax. Other than the syntax, you'd write the code in much the same way.

grable(Posted February) [#19]
Lol, if you are offended by the term "snowflake" you just might be one ;)
And no, it didnt start with Trump supporters, it started long before that as a reaction to SJWs and self entitled offendmenots.
Calling it a racial slur is just simply lying.

No matter, i used it to signal the language's special leaning towards the silliness that is minor changes in syntax.
As skidracers last comment says, its not the tools, its you.

Fielder(Posted February) [#20]

It's just another programming language - which are all inherently similar in the things that they do.
Someone who can code in Java and C++ shouldn't have any trouble picking up BlitzMax. Other than the syntax, you'd write the code in much the same way.

i mean: why they can want to use Blitzmax? they don't need blitzmax.. because at they EYES .. blitzmax is just a programming language for newbies... for amateur... for hobbyst.. not a language that can be an evolution of Java coding

skidracer(Posted February) [#21]
I'm a huge snowflake.

grable(Posted February) [#22]
If I am incorrect about your usage why don't you correct me with the reason you chose the term.
I thought i just did?

Its a term that has been all over the internet for years now, i thought most of us dwellers already knew this?
Its never been a racial slur, never. How you made it into one i dont know.

It can be used derogatorily for sure, and that is part of the reason i chose it. Though not to denigrate the poster himself, but the goal behind the fork.
As in, minor syntax changes wont make the language any better, nor will it make the programmer any better.
As such i see it as silly, and thus the resulting language would be a "snowflake".

I am bending the term a bit here, but i still think it fits.

skidracer(Posted February) [#23]
I am brand new to the term. I hope you don't mind but I have co-opted it for my nic, it's starting to grow on me.

grable(Posted February) [#24]
Oh i noticed, real mature. Exactly what a snowflake would do :p

Naughty Alien(Posted February) [#25]
..side question...i do not understand what is offensive in term 'snowflake'..anyone care to explain?

Derron(Posted February) [#26]
https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=de&q=snowflake%20trump

bye
Ron

grable(Posted February) [#27]
I think this fits better, https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Special%20Snowflake%20Syndrome
The Trump supporters are just the latest appropriators of the term.
It was also heavily thrown around during the Gamer-Gate thing, though the term and its use is much older than that.

Steve Elliott(Posted February) [#28]
Anyway, back on topic, you might as well produce a program to translate between the 2 languages. BMax comes with more than just a logic language like C++ though!

Yan(Posted March) [#29]
Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?