great video hobby game making

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/great video hobby game making

Matty(Posted 2017) [#1]
Refreshing

dawlane(Posted 2017) [#2]
Reminds me of back in the 1980's when I used to knock up game and wowed my less than technically minded friends. And send the odd occasional one off to magazines just to see if the would get published. But in this day and age you have to be mindful of legalities so that you don't end up being accused by the big boys and bullies of stepping on their toes.

Neuro(Posted 2017) [#3]
Nice video. I really like the refreshing perspective.

taumel(Posted 2017) [#4]
Quite some years ago i made the first birthday game for a friend of mine. It felt special because i deleted the source, so she had the only copy. Two weeks ago i made a small game with the kids. You shout characters at the game, they appear and dance to the music based on their characteristics for a while. There is a difference between a short jam and making a game you get payed for.

But when you think further, it's less about making games. It's about using a tool, in this case a computer and some software, and to experiment with your curiosity within your abilities, trying things out, learning something specific and having fun in your spare time. Applying it on music, astronomy, visualising math, steering something physical, demoing ideas which fit to the computer, getting surprised from your stuff, ... it's like any other creative process, baking a cake, playing an instrument.

You should only focus on making a game if that's what you're really after. If you just want to fly through clouds of polygons, then stick with it. In some cases experiments lead to very enjoyable gaming experiences but more often it's a waste of resources trying to force a game into everything. Your instinct, experience, available resources can help you making good decisions.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#5]
@taumel, very eloquently put - now I realise what keeps dragging me back for a little more coding fun ;)

taumel(Posted February) [#6]
Hey, thanks.

A few hours tonight (the flu) got me this one. Flying through an endless stream of elevator systems and a soft tune helped me falling asleep again. So, i might have forgotten about the therapeutic aspect. ;O)