Latest Gen 4K tellys

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Latest Gen 4K tellys

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#1]
Finally upgraded my 10/11 year old telly to a 4K 3D SUHD thing. I'm gobsmacked how much technology has moved forwards. Watched the X2 movie with old Patrick Stewart doing his thing in Cerebro, amazing how much a new TV breathe's life into old films you'd consigned to the 'yep... seen that a few times now' list.

Web Browser, Netflix, plug in a keyboard simply via a USB port - same thing for screen sharing with my android mobile phone! Treating myself to a wireless keyboard next weekend.

Tellys like these will not be helping couch potatoes escape the living room ;)

Watching the Monte Carlo FIA World Rally championship was a treat to the eyes.

MadJack(Posted 2017) [#2]
4k you say?

Would that be as big as this picture then would it?

gpete(Posted 2017) [#3]
MadJack, your Mum should wipe your nose before you sit for new pictures... :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#4]
@MJ, yeah, bout that size. The 3D that it produces does kinda make a bit of an open mouthed marvel at the scenery in a lot of films - so much so it detracts from the storyline and some of the comedy timing gets lost in the scenery... which is kinda weird.

xlsior(Posted 2017) [#5]
4k you say?

Would that be as big as this picture then would it?

Quite a few more pixels than that, actually: That photo is 1920x1645 pixels, or about 1.5 times as many pixels as a normal 1920x1080 full HD screen.

4K displays have a native resolution of 3840x2160 (roughly 4K wide), which is exactly 4 times as many pixels as 1920x1080.

the biggest problem is that many of them do a bunch of temperal smoothing and such for standard definition content, so lots of things ends up looking like camcorder / daytime soap footage. The 4K showroom footage looks absolutely mindblowingly good, though.

Neuro(Posted 2017) [#6]
I may finally get a 4k tv this year...maybe....

coffeedotbean(Posted 2017) [#7]
I still make do with a 36" Hitachi from 2006 - 720p, no built in services or freeview, viewing angles are awful. You know when its bad when it needs 30 seconds to warmup.

I am still not convinced of this 4k thing but I do need a new TV, some day.

xlsior(Posted 2017) [#8]
Personally I don't really care about the whole 4K hype -- sure, they look amazing when you stand two feet away from them in a showroom, but I (and most others) already can't really tell the difference between 720P and 1080P from across the living room today, so why spend more money for a 4K panel?

Neuro(Posted 2017) [#9]
but I (and most others) already can't really tell the difference between 720P and 1080P from across the living room today

I know my mom can't (she just calls it all either blurry or very clear), and my uncle still marvels at LCD tvs. My wife doesn't quite understand the whole 720p vs 1080p tech but she will notice the degrade in quality if the video isn't 1080p. I on the other hand can actually see the difference. But thats because i look at this stuff a lot.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#10]
I think my 4k er upscales standard HD, even the old HD blu rayz have so much more depth of field. Was watching the first episode of stranger things, very impressive. Where the kids are milling about outside the school it looks like you're looking through a window, not at a TV screen. I'm not one for exaggerating, the picture is really that good.

I did purchase an online subscription to Which to make sure I didn't get a 'duffer' when spending nearly a grand. But our old telly was 10 year old, my daughter now has that in her bedroom which shes over the moon with. Better than watching netflix on her phone ;)