Wow, Raspberry just got very cheap indeed.

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Wow, Raspberry just got very cheap indeed.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2017) [#1]
Need I say more. Been a while since I looked but wow. That's really cheap.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero

Brucey(Posted 2017) [#2]
One cool thing about the Pi Zero is that you can plug it directly into your PC's USB port and use a virtual ethernet (over USB) connection to communicate with it (ssh, vpn, etc).
Useful if you are configuring one and don't want to go to the trouble of setting up a keyboard/mouse/screen for it.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#3]
The pi Zero is always out of stock. Good to see them back in-stock - especially at £4!

I ordered the Essential pack for £10 - but the converter shim is much neater than the USB to Micro USB Cable Converter.

https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-zero/products/raspberry-pi-zero?variant=14062725188

coffeedotbean(Posted 2017) [#4]
I bought one a few months ago, along with a cheap NES knock-off controller, planned to do one of those pi's inside a controller projects, just never had the motivation to get on with it.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#5]
My pi 3 runs for 8 hours off a battery pack, that doubles as a phone charger. I can't imagine how long this pi zero, Linux Computer would run on a battery...Crazy efficiency.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#6]
My pi 3 runs for 8 hours off a battery pack, that doubles as a phone charger. I can't imagine how long this pi zero, Linux Computer would run on a battery...Crazy efficiency.

Oh man, I'm so teetering on the brink of getting something that'll struggle to get round to using to its full potential... might put it on my birthday lisy ;)

Steve Elliott(Posted February) [#7]
Got my pi zero. Incredibly tiny, you have to get one to realise just how large the pi 1/2/3 are in comparison. I could pop it into my wallet...The pi 1/2/3 are credit card sized - but so much thicker than a credit card. The Zero isn't - and far smaller.

Added 4 USB slots for no increase in size - just thickness.

https://thepihut.com/products/zero4u-4-port-usb-hub-for-raspberry-pi-zero

Kryzon(Posted February) [#8]
For someone with zero experience in this, what exactly would be needed to turn a Pi Zero into a poor-man's HDMI media box for a TV?

xlsior(Posted February) [#9]
For someone with zero experience in this, what exactly would be needed to turn a Pi Zero into a poor-man's HDMI media box for a TV?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/kodi/

Kryzon(Posted February) [#10]
Thank you!

Blitzplotter(Posted February) [#11]
@Steve Elliot, ok, Pi Zero plus this expansion peripheral os in my shopping list. Wonder if you can use a Pi Zero and one of these four way ports as a HDMI port extender.

Steve Elliott(Posted February) [#12]

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/kodi/

plus this expansion peripheral os in my shopping list.

For a Media Box I would recommend a Raspberry pi 2 or 3 (still very cheap).

The Raspberry pi 2 and 3 already come with 4 full sized USB ports and full sized HDMI port.

https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi

Steve Elliott(Posted February) [#13]
The 4 port USB Hub arrived today for the zero. It's the same size board as the pi zero (only 65mmx30mm).

The green light on the left is for the pi power, the blue one below for the USB Hub power (only one power cable to power both) the white lights below are for the 2 connected USB Dongles - one for wireless keyboard/trackpad, the other for wifi (not that you would do much GUI Web Browsing). It's more for transferring files across the network. pi 3 is much better for browsing the web. The fourth USB Port is on the right, under the Micro-SD Card.

Still blown away by the size of this totally open source, Micro Computer (in the true sense of the word). 65mmx30mm, a USB Port as standard, mine now has 4 full size and one Micro USB Port, with a CPU, GPU, RAM, Micro HD (using a Micro SD Card) can run off a very small battery, you can add a tiny camera for stills or video, HDMI output to a TV or Monitor, produce your own mobile phone or tablet with off the shelf components and running Linux...Unlimited possibilities...

Jim Brown was talking about finding his true love, regards programming. Now I have found mine :)

Picture

Brucey(Posted February) [#14]
And then there were more!

Steve Elliott(Posted February) [#15]
They could have told me another zero was about to be released! lol.

Ordered one!

Derron(Posted February) [#16]
@ Brucey
Your announcement was faster than on the German IT-newsportals I read.

Would take one for <20€ (with box, AC - and if it had 4 usb ports for 4player retro games without an additional hub). Would allow me to keep the dust on my old consoles (or in other words: they are buried below other stuff not used for ages).

@ all the tinker-boys lurking around
Have fun with your toys.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott(Posted February) [#17]

Your announcement was faster than on the German IT-newsportals I read.

I don't know about Brucey, but The Pi Hut sent me an email at 9am this morning, regards the new pi.

Blitzplotter(Posted March) [#18]
Still blown away by the size of this totally open source, Micro Computer (in the true sense of the word). 65mmx30mm, a USB Port as standard, mine now has 4 full size and one Micro USB Port, with a CPU, GPU, RAM, Micro HD (using a Micro SD Card) can run off a very small battery, you can add a tiny camera for stills or video, HDMI output to a TV or Monitor, produce your own mobile phone or tablet with off the shelf components and running Linux...Unlimited possibilities...

Interesting times indeed ;) Jeez, that new Pi has the same memory as my first PC... and it has wireless to boot. I'd get one but I just blew £5.60 on a Windows 7 Professional laptop at an auction that has enough bells and whistles to be getting along with ;)

grindalf(Posted March) [#19]
I heard the raspberry pi uses Linux, is that right?

Steve Elliott(Posted March) [#20]

I heard the raspberry pi uses Linux, is that right?

Yes, a huge part of it's appeal - because it's open source and secure. Currently Jessie Raspbian, a version of Linux Debian.

grindalf(Posted March) [#21]
Does that mean blitzmax apps work on them

Steve Elliott(Posted March) [#22]
I think Blitzmax was broken on anything bar Windows a long time ago :/

No, because Blitzmax doesn't support ARM Based Processors.

grindalf(Posted March) [#23]
Well that's a shame

Brucey(Posted March) [#24]
Does that mean blitzmax apps work on them

Yes, BlitzMax NG runs well on the Pi. Runs best on the 3, but works okay on the zero too.

I think Blitzmax was broken on anything bar Windows a long time ago

What's with the trolling? BlitzMax runs fine here on my Mac, and in Linux.

Steve Elliott(Posted March) [#25]
Oh yes, I forgot Brucey rescued Blitzmax with his version - Blitzmax NG :)