2Dark

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/2Dark

Neuro(Posted 2017) [#1]
So was this game written in Blitz or MonkeyX? And also...cool!

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#2]
They forked monkey before it was monkey-x for the prototype.

Unsure if they switched to C++ for the final thing.

Fred use to post here and was commonly considered awesome due to his career to date (Little Big Adventure was a family favourite).

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#3]
Little Big adventure, and now this. Great work.

Neuro(Posted 2017) [#4]
I wonder if they used Blitworks like the folks who made Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#5]
Indeed , really great work ;)

Kryzon(Posted 2017) [#6]
Little Big adventure, and now this. Great work.

Indeed , really great work ;)

It's a game involving child murder (strong imagery).

Neuro(Posted 2017) [#7]
It's a game involving child murder (strong imagery).

I'm effectively intrigued now.

skidracer(Posted March) [#8]
2Dark was my first first ever crowd funding investment / experience back in October 2014 and only two and a half years later I just received a Steam key!

Hopefully this is an indication the game is on track to being released on the 17th.

steve_ancell(Posted March) [#9]
snowflake:
Hopefully this is an indication the game is on track to being released on the 17th.

March 10th according to the side description on the Steam client.

skidracer(Posted March) [#10]

Oh I like where this is going.

Grisu(Posted March) [#11]

Be warned as the game comes with DENUVO DRM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denuvo).

Going to skip the game for that.

steve_ancell(Posted March) [#12]
I bought it through Steam yesterday. A warning to anyone using onboard GFX, the framerate is donkey slow. I now need to upgrade to some sort of PCI-E GFX card.

xlsior(Posted March) [#13]
A warning to anyone using onboard GFX, the framerate is donkey slow. I now need to upgrade to some sort of PCI-E GFX card.

To be fair, Steam does mention the following cards as the minimum specs: Nvidia Geforce GT 9800 / ATi Radeon HD 4870, which is 4 times faster than the Intel HD 3000/4000. The recommended specs call for a card 10 times the speed of the Intel HD3000/4000.

steve_ancell(Posted March) [#14]
OK fair enough, but there may be people similar to me on here that have "I don't fully read the specs" syndrome. :D

Just don't make the same mistake that I did, although I'm sure I will fully enjoy the game once I get a GFX card.

Steve Elliott(Posted March) [#15]
The video I saw mentioned ray tracing. Even if it's pseudo ray tracing and in 2d, that can push a GPU.

steve_ancell(Posted March) [#16]
The system I have is a M5A78L-M USB3 motherboard with AMD FX8320 8-Core Bulldozer black edition processor. Would I be OK with a sort of budget PCI-E GFX card that's in the £50 - £100 range?, if so which one?. According to the dxdiag tool the onboard GFX is ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics with 3063MB memory.

Grisu(Posted March) [#17]
I would go for a Geforce 1050 Ti (4 GB) which costs around 140-150$. Not sure about AMD cards in this segment.

xlsior(Posted March) [#18]
I would go for a Geforce 1050 Ti (4 GB) which costs around 140-150$. Not sure about AMD cards in this segment.

The 4GB AMD RX480 starts around $169, and it's more or less equal to to the Geforce 1060.

However: Note that the RX 480 and the Geforce 1060 are both listed VR-Ready adapters, while the 1050 is NOT. If you have any inclination to try a Vive or Oculus at some point, I'd skip the 1050 especially since the price difference is so small.

steve_ancell(Posted March) [#19]
Thanks for the advice, this has really narrowed things down a bit.

xlsior(Posted March) [#20]
If you are looking for a videocard: check out http://videobenchmark.net

They have pretty much any videocard available in their database, and lets you compare apples to apples. check out the score of your existing video adapter first, and then see how potential replacements stack up to it. (To look for a particular card, you enter the model # in the search box in the upper right corner)

you can also see rankings by speed, and by value (speed-per-dollar)

steve_ancell(Posted March) [#21]
I forgot to mention that I'm in the UK, thanks for the link anyways. ;)

xlsior(Posted March) [#22]
I forgot to mention that I'm in the UK, thanks for the link anyways. ;)

That has surprisingly little impact on videocard speed comparisons. ;-)

Grisu(Posted March) [#23]
This site here is also good to check different cards against each other: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-RX-480-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti

Also not in the UK. :)

steve_ancell(Posted March) [#24]
@xlsior:
I was referring to the site being US based, I saw the price was in dollars. LOL

BlitzSupport(Posted March) [#25]
For what it's worth, the GTX 1060 is what I've recently decided upon for price v performance... hurry up, pay day!

therevills(Posted March) [#26]
https://youtu.be/8PfSyZmE7Hg?t=231

Looks like Jungle IDE ;)

Neuro(Posted March) [#27]
Yep...i recognize Jungle IDE from a mile away :). Even using the same exact MOSS theme that i use for it :).

grindalf(Posted March) [#28]
@Steve Elliot, Little Big Adventure? The 1994 game? was that written in a blitz language?

Steve Elliott(Posted March) [#29]

@Steve Elliot, Little Big Adventure? The 1994 game? was that written in a blitz language?

Yes - same guy, but no I don't think it was written in Blitz.

skidracer(Posted March) [#30]
I just downloaded the GloomyVoxelEditor reward.

1. The file format looks nice and simple (from first glance, run length encoding [n,d[0..n-1]] in which +n is repeat and -n is verbatim perhaps.

2. There are 308 games objects in the voxels folder!

3. It can export svg blueprints and 3mf models (oops, just crashed)

4. The download page says the voxel editor is crafted by Frédérick Raynal, and used to create all the characters in 2Dark, nice!

Neuro(Posted March) [#31]
Wait a minute...apparently this is the same dude who made Alone in the Dark from back in the day???

steve_ancell(Posted March) [#32]
Yep!, that's the guy!