Dynamic Virtual Channel

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Dynamic Virtual Channel

CodeGit(Posted 2017) [#1]
Hi this is a long shot, but I am at my wits end with something I am trying to write in C# (please not c++). Has anybody ever managed to re-direct a printer during a remote desktop session using a Dynamic Virtual Channel? I have a windows 2008 R2 server and my clients are all running Windows 10. I do not want to setup a printer driver on the server and go that route, that becomes a massive problem as I then have to install 100's of printer drivers on my server. If anybody has an example of something written in c#, I would be extremely grateful.

:(

gpete(Posted 2017) [#2]
the network we used at work had a similar issue...IT's solution was to host and upload printer drivers to each computer- it would check each pc's current print drivers against the users targeted printer for each output. However since this was a secured network- the number of unique printers was a known quantity. sorry I am of no help...I battled as IT coordinator for 5 years and was exhausted by the time I retired..

CodeGit(Posted 2017) [#3]
Thanks gpete, uploading printer drivers and hosting them on the server will solve the problem but it becomes a nightmare as there are literally 100's of different printers being used by our customers. Microsoft introduced the "Easy Print" driver which is suppose to be a generic print driver. But it mostly does NOT work. The best solution is to write a dynamic virtual channel server and client, with the printer extension that allows re-direction. Unfortunately, I am unable to find even a very basic example written in c#.

Just to make it clear, i am simply trying to re-direct my customers printer when they login using remote desktop and i fully understand how to set up group policies and all the other crap needed to make it work. LOL

P.S - Our company standard does not allow the use of C++ so it has to be written in C# which makes it more difficult, believe it or not.

Henri(Posted 2017) [#4]
Hi,

I though local printers were redirected by default if "Local Resources / Printers" -checkbox is true in Remote Desktop app ? Or do you want to access your clients printer ?

-Henri

CodeGit(Posted 2017) [#5]
@Henri if the checkbox is checked it will only re-direct the printer if it finds a valid printer driver for that printer. So the problem is that you have to load 100's of printer drivers on your server.

CodeGit(Posted 2017) [#6]
I found this, seems to be close to what i am looking for.

click here

Ian Thompson(Posted 2017) [#7]
Maybe I'm not getting it but why not simply set the customers driver to produce XPS files and then have a little client program to scan the disk and transfer the file to you?

CodeGit(Posted 2017) [#8]
Ian, it is a real time operation, they print labels and air way bills directly to a network printer that is situated in a ware house. funny you should suggest this way forward, I have thought of writing the reports to an XPS file and this might be a good way forward. tks

xlsior(Posted 2017) [#9]
Another alternative: something like CutePDF (free), which is a printer driver which saves your print job as a PDF file.

CodeGit(Posted 2017) [#10]
Thks will look at that as well.