Shutting down social media

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Shutting down social media

JoshK(Posted 2017) [#1]
Something that has been on my mind lately is whether Facebook and Twitter are even worth maintaining a company page for. My web stats say not really. In fact, I get more traffic from some weird Russian social network than I do from Facebook.

The point of these platforms is to attract new visitors and retain existing users, but there's so much noise I don't think anyone is listening. Why should every website have a Facebook and Twitter logo at the bottom of every page of their site, other than to prop up those company's stock? Are they actually providing any value? Why focus on those two companies and not reddit, Tumblr, 4chan, or any of the multitude of clickbait and link propagation sites that bring in as much or more traffic than the two social networks that happened to have an IPO 3-5 years ago?

Who's really doing who a favor here? I've turned off our social media feeds and removed these links from our site for now. Not sure if this will last, but Facebook and Twitter aren't meeting my expectations right now, so why am I advertising them? Why would I promote these jokers and not other websites that bring in twenty times the traffic instead?

grable(Posted 2017) [#2]
Good for you :) Facebook and Twitter is not anyone's friend except themselves.
And with all the censorship they do now, its become apparent that they cant be trusted, not that they ever could.
Same can be said for Reddit and Tumblr, both heavily invested in pushing agendas.

Reddit is even manipulating their own site nowadays too, im sure Aaron is spinning in his grave :(
I had been on Reddit for a long time, and last new years i quit because of the changes in their mission statement. And i was right to leave, its a shit hole now.

Heres hoping Voat lasts a few years before they as well turn sour. Enough time for some decentralized replacement to take off.

Even YouTube needs replacing with something like https://www.bitchute.com/ or similar.

Death to social media!

EOF(Posted 2017) [#3]

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#4]
I don't see any disadvantage to have a facebook page for your company where you can post news/thoughts/photos/screenshots/videos about your products...

However i agree that the small logos on your website are most likely useless.

degac(Posted 2017) [#5]
Well, consider that many (young) people believe that 'internet' is Facebook .
I still (after so many years) have not understood the reason of 'social network' like FB, Twitter etc for the users (for the company it's a gold mine of personal information of course + name & surname, wft privacy?!?!)

And the technology to support directly YOUR user (if you are a firm) is wide available and easy to use: no needs to 'share' your info or other to FB & Twitter.

ps: I consider (for the use I did) Twitter like a 'communication' device, a sort of blog/post. More useful than FB sure.

But surely, seen the numbers, I've no clear the real 'use' of FB (or other)!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2017) [#6]

Who's really doing who a favor here? I've turned off our social media feeds and removed these links from our site for now. Not sure if this will last, but Facebook and Twitter aren't meeting my expectations right now, so why am I advertising them? Why would I promote these jokers and not other websites that bring in twenty times the traffic instead?

+1

JoshK(Posted 2017) [#7]
I'm directing people towards our mailing list instead.

This gives me data that cannot be taken away or made useless by a third party.

This article reflects my feelings on this pretty well:
https://www.groovehq.com/blog/focus

xlsior(Posted 2017) [#8]
Be forewarned: lots of people who sign up for mailinglist don't bother unsubscribing when they decide at a later date that they are no longer interested, but just hit the 'mark as spam' button in gmail/hotmail/yahoo/whatever, without giving it any thought. The end result if that is that some of the large email providers may start treating All mail from your domain or server as spam, which can interfere with your business operations as well (e.g. Support & sales email reply may not make it through to other customers using those same email services)

There's a reason many companies use 3rd party mailing list services instead of doing them in-house

Kryzon(Posted 2017) [#9]
Interesting read, good luck on this.

but there's so much noise I don't think anyone is listening.

Make sure you have some metric to verify what you're feeling.

Matty(Posted 2017) [#10]
I'm not a big player but I found using facebook to promote a business complete waste of money. I promoted my page for some money and got about 200 fake profiles as users who like my page. It was absolute cr@p in terms of engaging real users.

Hotcakes(Posted 2017) [#11]
From a marketing standpoint, Facebook certainly has value, depending on your product.

Twitter is on its death bed because it prefers to censor social interaction. Kinda puts a halt on growth. They're looking for buyers, but who would?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2017) [#12]
Yes, I also totally agree. The insanity of the Internet freedom of information and what is going on with the main stream media, facebook and twitter. There's no point in expecting these services to help you any longer. Just a waste of time.

Bobysait(Posted 2017) [#13]
Depending on your product (but here, I highly suppose, it's about 2D/3D stuff) You can use facebook and twitter, not to promote your website and products directly, but to promote a youtube channel that links to your website/products.

So, it can filter the users as they won't go further on reading the video and the description if not interested, and at the same time, it allows to grow your youtube channel so that it's readable.
It's sometime easier to get a video viewed several times in a short time using facebook and using your facebook neighboors and the neighboors of your neighboors than just spreading the link on some development platforms (which is for me a big waste of time and a lack in community, as you can't answer all the topic you might have created to promote yourself)

So, don't link your website on the facebook account, you'll end with bots, fake users, spams and else instead of real users.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2017) [#14]
Never used them past having to test apps that needed them as a feature. The ludite in me hates the whole idea of "virtual" friends or allowing FB to spam my friends and family. It's wrong and many people chastise me for it, mainly from a business point of view but I do feel I enjoy a level of anonymity that is hard to attain otherwise.

Kryzon(Posted 2017) [#15]
Even if you take down your company's Facebook page you as a user should still keep one.
It's a really easy way to reach an acquaintance -- at least I get the feeling some (younger) people prefer to be contacted this way than with e-mail, as it's "too serious", like writing a letter.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#16]
Your stance to not have a facebook page is rather stupid...
There is no disadvantage to post the exact same news/thoughts/demos on a facebook page than on your blog/website (or a brief version + a link) and it may intrigue/attract some potential users...
(but i agree that removing the links/gadgets on your website will prevent people to get diverted from your website and go check news on facebook)