Do you ever play the games you've created?

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Do you ever play the games you've created?

Xaron(Posted 2017) [#1]
Seriously guys, out of curiosity but do you ever play the games by yourself you created? I don't mean while coding. Of course we all do testing but do you enjoy playing your own games?

I have to admit I never played my own games. I enjoyed creating them but not playing them...

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2017) [#2]
I really enjoyed playing two of my games. MY favourite being the first game I ever played. I think it was that I tweaked it so much, that it was to me, the perfect game I always wanted to exist.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2017) [#3]
I think if I made a score attack or a multiplayer game I'd play my own but I've really no interest, typically when I've finished a project I am done with it save for fixing game breaking bugs. I think when you know how a game works the magic is lost, you know how that AI work you know the story and the best order in which to do things etc.

Matty(Posted 2017) [#4]
The more time I spend developing a game the more time I spend playing it. I played Star Dancer for a year after finishing development almost exclusively. I still play Sunken Dwellers of Gorgoth from time to time. I used to play Lockdown Necrosis Zombies when it worked on my old phone.

I find I play my own games a heck of a lot more often than other peoples games.

I played Blood and Plunder (goblin head go squish squish) for a very long time.

EdzUp MkII(Posted 2017) [#5]
Some of my games I still play but mostly spend my time coding :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2017) [#6]
..since all of my games are point and click adventures, story driven, i couldn't see much joy in playing them, apart from messing with bugs/checking whole thing..

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#7]
if you add some randomly proceduraly generated environments/armors/weapons/artifacts/characters, it can become an addiction to explore these environments and fight/interactwith the characters, find the better armor/weapon... (diablo 2!)

RifRaf(Posted 2017) [#8]
yes I played Tiny Tanks Online a lot. Unfortunately just myself and a few others ever did ! :)

Panno(Posted 2017) [#9]
only my kula world clone but lost exe and source.
iam a maker because iam a bad player.

Stevie G(Posted 2017) [#10]
Yes, I have played 'Micro Sprint' religiously every week with friends since 2014.

I take great pleasure from putting in the odd obvious cheat - like doubling my acceleration and halving everyone elses or reducing everyone elses top speed etc... The benefits of coding the game yourself :) I also create a new track every other week which keeps things fresh. I think we have about 170 to choose from now. Very competitive but great fun!

The key is to make games you and your friends enjoy playing.

Neuro(Posted 2017) [#11]
I've played mine from time to time. But it's apparent that i'm no longer the best at it as other players have proven to be more skillful.

Tevada Trigger
Tesseract Hyper Gunner

Playniax(Posted 2017) [#12]
Yes, have to admit that I love and play Defenstar from time to time. Not as much as I used to though but still like it.

Xerra(Posted 2017) [#13]
I only ever play one of my games outside of testing. It's got too much of a random element to ever be something I'd release but I just really like it, even though it's really simple. I actually enjoy trying to beat my own high score. Something that hasn't interested me in any other games for years.

K(Posted 2017) [#14]
@RifRaf... I'm back so I'm down for a re-match.

cps(Posted 2017) [#15]
I put specific games together for the purpose of playing against friends/relatives who are to far away to play against otherwise. If we didn't play them nobody would. Have fun cps

andy_mc(Posted 2017) [#16]
No my games are rubbish.

But yeah, sometimes, I think I get tired of play testing them while writing them though. I think if I build a procedurally generated game then I might enjoy it more as I wouldn't know what was coming.

dna(Posted 2017) [#17]
I made a few, some of which were not completed, before the computer was stolen.

However, there was one that I made that I played every now and then but it also was on the computer that was stolen along with the source.

Very clever Q&A game

MadJack(Posted 2017) [#18]
I have played TU through several times just for fun.

Currently working on TU2 so it's all pretty much testing.

shaun freeman(Posted 2017) [#19]
My one and only finished invader clone was simply a collection of functions and used the Type for lists of invaders,bullets etc...
It still has me tweaking it after 8 years! - Its rewarding to get something playable even after such a long time...
At 51 im unable to remember new language syntax easily...C# is a bitch, I believe that Blitz is still the best.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#20]
@Shaun
At 51 im unable to remember new language syntax easily...C# is a bitch, I believe that Blitz is still the best.

I hear you there Shaun, I'm only 6 years behind you, new languages can be hard to cut your teeth on, I'm loving what I'm finally achieving with MonkeyX (in the HTML5 target) and am dipping my toe into the Monkey2 pond. Still get an immense pull from Blitz3D projects as well though, so much to pick from.

Tried c# briefly for work purposes with VB.Net... haven't had to go back to it, no plans too either ;) Happy coding.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2017) [#21]
What are you finding tricky about C#?
I guess depending on what you are doing, after using Blitzmax, I found the switch to C# pretty easy.

Yue(Posted 2017) [#22]
The game is no longer fun when you no longer have to encode.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#23]

What are you finding tricky about C#?

It's a half arsed bloated solution between C++ and BASIC?...Like Unity is a half arsed solution between an efficient 3D Engine and a bloated semi game maker program?

Matty(Posted 2017) [#24]
There's a game I made in blitz3d - well not a full game, it was a level or two with no documentation, not much of an interface, basically just a game loop with a core mechanic and some 3d graphics - it was good fun - I should have turned it into a full game but I could never work out how to make more than just the 2 or 3 levels I had for it.

What it was was this:

3d top down view (perspective not orthographic) of a sci fi installation with corridors and rooms. The player left clicked to issue move orders to a group of 3 sci fi soldiers. They right clicked to shoot at a location. Spawning from the edge of the view were aliens (bug like fast insectoid aliens). There were barrels that could explode and doors which could be locked/welded shut or opened..i'd made a handful of levels involving rescuing a civilian and locking the doors shut but could never really make a full game from it...but the actual game mechanic itself was quite fun - or i found it fun.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#25]
t's a half arsed bloated solution between C++ and BASIC?...
Succinct and to the point ;)

The player left clicked to issue move orders to a group of 3 sci fi soldiers. They right clicked to shoot at a location. Spawning from the edge of the view were aliens (bug like fast insectoid aliens).
Sounds intriguing Matty.

BlitzMan(Posted 2017) [#26]
If you are a coder you have to play your own games for debugging purposes.Right until the end credits.