French people here? I'd need a translation

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/French people here? I'd need a translation

Xaron(Posted 2017) [#1]
Dear all,

I'd need a translation of the app store description of on of my games into French. Do we have some people from France here who would do that?

Cheers Xaron

Naughty Alien(Posted 2017) [#2]
Filax, but im not sure is he lurking around or not :)
RemiD (Not sure) ?

steve_ancell(Posted 2017) [#3]
How about Bobysait, I think he's French, he seems to have a good way of describing stuff.

therevills(Posted 2017) [#4]
I can recommend Raphaël Rouby:

http://www.parallelwords.fr/en

On our last project (Santa's Christmas Solitaire) he quoted us around 500 euros for around 5000 words.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2017) [#5]

he quoted us around 500 euros for around 5000 words.

WOW! That's very generous indeed. For that price, if anyone ever needs 5000 words of Japanese translating give me a shout! :O

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#6]
french is my native language, but i don't need more money, i need more time ;) (=i let the work for others people who need money)
good luck!

Derron(Posted 2017) [#7]
> On our last project (Santa's Christmas Solitaire) he quoted us around 500 euros for around 5000 words.

Wow... you can get that way cheaper and still done by a one whose first language is the one you've choosen. Maybe you paid because of a given "deadline" - or because he does it "professionally" (means paying additional taxes, offers x-levels of review-correct-turns) ? Always assumed there are plenty of students lurking around for such jobs - willed to do, and skilled to cope with it (assumption that students are a bit better educated in grammar/spelling) - maybe I am wrong.

If you need a German translation for 10ct/word - feel free to ask me for help ;-)

Dunno how much I would need to pay then to get our game's database translated (>35.000 words per language - for now).

@ (tu) ENAY
D'Accord with 5.00euros for 5000 words?

@ remiD
If you had enough money, you could "buy" time (by paying for things you do on your own - for now). So if you eg. do 1 hour overtime each day and get more by translating a text in that hour, you should do the translation. So consider that. And no, you shouldn't pay someone to do the "family time" with your wife just to save time of the day.

I think the time we spend reading+replying here will soon have consumed more time than it would have needed for one "French" to translate the desired text.

bye
Ron

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#8]
@Derron>>you really have an opinion on everything isn't it ?
Let me ask you, what is your opinion on the glacial fog in the winter (in the Alps), and what are the strategies you suggest to prevent it ? (just trolling a little ahahah :P)

Seriously, outsourcing is easy in theory but not in practice, i have done it several times, and for some tasks/works it is worth it but for some tasks/works it is not, since you often have to correct the result yourself. (and it is not easy to find skilled available reliable honest people)
Also your suggestion is not that easy since you forget to talk about the cost/taxes of having an employee (some works are regulated, you can't do as you wish)

So yes but no

Derron(Posted 2017) [#9]
Yes I have an opinion on everything - isn't it why we exist? :-)
(as it makes us thinking about things we did not pay attention before - like "what is glacial fog").

@ taxes
As a "buyer" you are only interested in taxes if you can bring them "on your side" (in Germany there are so called "small-scale entrepreneurs", they cannot add taxes to their bills - so a company using their services cannot play with the taxes normally added to these kind of services).
Else you just look at what price you have to pay - and what services are included.

So this does not differ to a contract to a private person. You sign a contract consisting of:
- amount to translate
- time do to the work
- costs per "change" (if one reconsiders the text to translate) - including added payment of xx/word
- guaranteed time for free fixes (you cannot "check" if you do not know the language - so upcoming "notices" of endusers need to get redirected to the translator)
- penalty in case of not fulfilling the contract (for both sides - so eg. paying 50% even if you do not use their translation - or the translator paying the costs for an "equal translator" in case he misses to fulfill)

This is imho the only reason to go to a (local!) company - because chances a better to have the "law on your side" - in case of problems.
Having an translator in another country makes it very hard to get back the money etc. (you need a lawyer in that country to sue one).

So yes, you are right that "reliability" is something which could be worth these 500 Euros. I assume it depends on your experience with these kind of translation services and the companies offering them.
(And of course - if it is _your_ budget paying the service)

Think this suggestions and the discussion about it also fit to the threads about externalized/outsourced asset creation (think Matty brought that up some months ago - didn't he?). Sometimes it is "you get what you pay for" - and sometimes you luckily saved some Taler :-)

PS: Why should one prevent glacial fog?

bye
Ron

Matty(Posted 2017) [#10]
Personally if I can chime in with my two cents I'd say getting rid of glacial fog in the alps should be the primary concern of the EU at the moment. In my view using some strong heat lamps all over the alps would help with this issue significantly. Raise some extra taxes to pay for it and it's done!

Matty(Posted 2017) [#11]
Edit - more importantly - don't use the google play provided translators (they offer paid for services to translate) - as they are totally not versed in 'game language' and so you will get something that doesn't sound all that good.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#12]

I'd say getting rid of glacial fog in the alps should be the primary concern of the EU at the moment. In my view using some strong heat lamps all over the alps would help with this issue significantly.

i agree, but no politic people is talking about this issue at the moment, as if it does not exist ! ;)

Bobysait(Posted 2017) [#13]

How about Bobysait, I think he's French, he seems to have a good way of describing stuff.

Hey, that's actually very kind, I appreciate :)

Well ... if it's not a whole book to translate then, why not ?!
-> my email is in on my profile.

Xaron(Posted 2017) [#14]
Haha, awesome replies, thanks guys.

Derron, well ya, I made the German translation by myself being a native Kraut, this was easy. ;)

@Bobysait: Will send you an email. As I said it's just a store description which has 309 words. And I don't like what google creates out of the english one...

edit: Boby, I can't find your mail. There isn't one in your profile, and the one on your website is not valid - at least that's what google tells me: 550 5.1.1 user unknown (UserSearch)

Derron(Posted 2017) [#15]
@ Xaron
I knew - I was talking to "500 euros"-therevills ;-)

(Ich kann aber gerne auch Korrektur lesen - zumindest falls Bedarf besteht.)

@ EMail
Maybe bobysait should mail you (your mail is available in your profile).

Hope you get your translation done.

bye
Ron

Bobysait(Posted 2017) [#16]
My bad, I had checked the "hide email" in my profile ^_^
Yeah, that's really professional :p

therevills(Posted 2017) [#17]
you can get that way cheaper and still done by a one whose first language is the one you've choosen

Maybe, but Raphael is a professional translator. He has translated many games for Big Fish Games. Also he has a very fast turn around too.

We tried cheaper translators in the past and had to do a lot of rework as the translated text did not get past BFGs QA process.

Derron(Posted 2017) [#18]
Would you mind telling what "cheaper" means in this case? Just to read some numbers.

And how could the QA bot get passed if someone translated text into his first language... Assuming one finished school (successfully) before doing such jobs.
Did they use uncommon words or too informal phrases?

Bye
Ron