Biological Programming (Andrew Hessel/futorology)

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/Biological Programming (Andrew Hessel/futorology)

Pakz(Posted 2017) [#1]
Youtube suggested me to watch this. Quite interesting and hopegiving. Apearantly they are beginning to start programming virusses and biology ect.

In the video there is a part about new science that lets old cells die and be replaced with new cells. (Been tested on mouse and soon on pets - young again!)

This year they will also test new viral medicine against cancer on a dog.

Last week I also saw a video from another futorologist that works with google and he mentioned we would live forever at around 2030.

Career switch anyone?

Qube(Posted 2017) [#2]
This year they will also test new viral medicine against cancer on a dog.

They should ban animal testing completely unless the animal already has no hope of survival and they have nothing to lose.

Pakz(Posted 2017) [#3]
I think that they were testing it on a actual sick dog from what I could make up from it. The rodents i think were bred for the experiments.

If my dog was dying and they offered a experimental medicine then i probably would try it. There probably are a number of people who would do so.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#4]
the "hack/repair medicine" is controversed because for now, all there is, are hypothesis of what can be achieved, and requests for funding... Maybe this is a new era of startups but is it based on reality or dreams/ideals ? (is it achievable on the human body or only onpaper/invitro ?)

i have followed some talks of aubrey de grey and from what i know he forgets/disregards an important factor which can cause chronic damages/inflamation/weakenedimmunesystem/deficiencies/toxinsbuildup and then aging and which impacts almost all humans (maybe even more in modern countries)... (this demonstrates once again that your awareness is limited by what you have learned/experienced...)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2017) [#5]
Actually, was in the Dutch news in fall of 2016:

They already are testing a modified herpes-simplex virus against some form of a very aggressive melanoma (skin)cancer in The Netherlands and it works rather well apparently, above expectations. But there are probably side effects (for it's still herpes-simplex) and may or may not hold off the cancer permanently.

There was this woman shown on TV were her legs were terrible affected and for now at least it was a great improvement.

They said it holds potential for usage on different cancer types too.

New immunotherapy gets cold sore virus to tackle cancer

On January 5, start the Antoni van Leeuwenhoek with a new type of immune therapy (T-VEC), the herpes simplex virus (known to cause cold sores) is used to fight melanoma.

This makes the arsenal of treatments against these very aggressive form of skin cancer further expanded.

T-VEC's been through all test phases and has been approved by US and European drug authorities. Unique to the agent that is a virus for the first time, forms the base of the drug. To be precise, the herpes simplex virus, known as the cause of the cold sore. The virus is so adapted that it can not cause more this condition. But it is able to kill cancer cells. If the room is sprayed in a melanoma, the virus will multiply in the cancer cells. Once the cell is bursting viruses, splash it apart and spread the virus to surrounding cells. In healthy cells the virus can not multiply. Thus, it is, very selectively, only the cancer. Furthermore, there is a protein built in by the virus that attracts immune cells. The idea behind this is that a local immune reaction occurs in which the immune system attacks the cancer cells will also attack.

milder treatment

Surgeon Dr. Alexander Akkooi has, with his colleagues from the Antoni van Leeuwenhoek, the first new agent since early January, T-VEC, will apply in the Netherlands. From Akkooi: "As a surgeon, try cancer out as much as possible to treat locally, but it is not always possible to remove a melanoma surgically With T-VEC we now hold a new option to address the cancer locally.. before we move on to agents who work in the body, such as targeted therapies and other forms of immunotherapy. " Such local approach is milder. The risk of wide side effects is much smaller than with agents that act throughout the body.

Combination

The agent will be available for patients with local or regional metastasis of melanoma in the skin, subcutaneous or lymph nodes (stage IIIB, IIIC and IVA), but without metastases in organs. From Akkooi: "The agent is in about half of patients effect average, continues to work for six months, we expect to continue to increase the impact and duration by combining the drug with other forms of immunotherapy, which.. works in the body. For example, anti-PD-1 therapy. This combination we also want to try. "

very aggressive

Annually receive some 5,500 Dutch melanoma. This cancer is known to be very aggressive because it easily spreads. Once that happens is difficult to treat the disease. In 2015, 825 people died in the country from the effects of this cancer. Fortunately there are some entirely new treatment options in recent years been added that can prolong the lives of patients with metastatic melanoma, or even cure them. These are perzonalized medicines (also called targeted therapies) that very specifically targeting genetic defects in the tumor and immunotherapies, which spurred the immune system of the body to remove the cancer.

Source: News AVL

Translated from http://www.voorkomhuidkanker.nl/news/displaynewsitem.asp?SEARCH=&PAGE=1&NEWSID=%7BFEF392DA-4578-43B2-8DE0-251260983762%7D

Floyd(Posted 2017) [#6]
Antibiotics will be practically useless in a decade or two. Engineered bacteriophage viruses are probably our best hope for the near future.

Qube(Posted 2017) [#7]
If my dog was dying and they offered a experimental medicine then i probably would try it. There probably are a number of people who would do so.

Me too.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#8]
We can't have a blanket ban with testing on animals...Unless humans want to volunteer...Would you volunteer?...A dying animal is somewhat different.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#9]
Would you volunteer?...A dying animal is somewhat different.
My mother in law was given a prognosis of 3 months due to having 3 different types of cancer. She was a fighter, and opted for trialling new chemotherapy, she lasted nearly 2 years and was smiling and joking to the last.

So, yes, if my dog was very ill and there was a trial treatment that could make her better, I'd be inclined to give it a go.