MicroMart says farewell after 31 years....

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/MicroMart says farewell after 31 years....

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#1]
A UK computing mag that I've bought 1 or 2 copies of over the years (Just bought the last ever edition). Makes an interesting point about Linus Torvalds slant on how 'big' the latest Linux release was/is compared to previous revisions.

Sure, a lot of people like to view stuff 'for free' online these day. Personally I like to support the old journalists now and then. Yeah, I'm guilty of buying less mags these days, but there you go. Puts me in mind of the last edition of CUAmiga, that was a good read.

Floyd(Posted 2016) [#2]
I used to subscribe to many magazines and bought even more individual copies. There were several computer magazines, including Computer Shopper which was the about the size of a phone book. There was a time when it was over 800 large format pages. I also got non-computer magazines such as Scientific American.

About fifteen years ago my collection had reached crisis levels. Something had to go, me or the magazines. I actually weighed them before throwing them away. The total was about four times my body weight.

I'm down to one print magazine and that's only because I got a deal on a lifetime subscription.

dna(Posted 2016) [#3]
I used to buy computer magazines at the News Stand but the stand I went to, that had the most variety, they stopped carrying them.

The only other resource was the distant Frys electronics store in Burbank but when I got there they had removed them I was told. These might be somewhere but I decided to not go farther to just check for certain magazines.

Some of my favorites that were close to me, distance wise were, Linux Magazine, which had a distro on almost all their cover CDs / DVDs and, the magazine NIBBLE, that folder decades ago.
NIBBLE was good enough to make clear the approach to assembly language programming.

There is a used bookstore in Hollywood that might carry these to others but I have not recently traveled to that spot.

Some good magazines have folded though

TomToad(Posted 2016) [#4]
This has been posted before, but for those of you who haven't seen it yet, a bunch of old computer magazines posted online. https://archive.org/details/computermagazines&tab=about

Ian Thompson(Posted 2016) [#5]
Sad day indeed, Micromart was always a good read.