Community Forums/Technical Discourse/.

EOF(Posted 2016) [#1]

Yue(Posted 2016) [#2]
But poverty, social inequality, war, hunger, diseases, richer people and other poorer. What if I think is that I believe that at the end, I will make a video game.

And is that in the end regardless of technology, it seems that humanity is getting worse every day.

col(Posted 2016) [#3]
Hmm people will let technology turn them even more into mindless fuckwits.

On a brighter side... It looks as though good progress is being made with the avatar assault exoskeleton so that the military can round up all of the stupids.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#4]
@Yue
True but don't loose the faith. Go(o)d shows up in unexpected places.

dynaman(Posted 2016) [#5]
Self Driving cars (and maybe more importantly 18 wheelers) will make major strides - and threatening one of the last vestiges of good paying jobs for those without a college degree.

EOF(Posted 2016) [#6]

dynaman(Posted 2016) [#7]
I don't see lawyers going anywhere anytime soon. (they make the laws after all, yeah I know they are supposed to only argue the law but...)

Programmers - perhaps, but not developers who job is to turn the mish mash of requirements into an actual working program.

Those two answers apply to my lifetime, my kids may well have those job paths taken away too.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#8]
Concerning hunger and poverty: Finland to begin paying basic income to unemployed citizens

If AI/automation/robotics gain more and more terrain, then there will be very few routinely based and unskilled jobs left for people to do. In Holland the banking/financial industrie is hit hard by this for instance. Ten-thousands of jobs are rapidly disappearing in this field, leaving behind empty mega-huge office buildings. Same goes for quite a few retail chains that were unable to adapt to cheap internet alternatives. Add to this the future of automated transportation then you have a potentially very big issue.

But doesn't have to be negative, just leaving behind the previous structure, where our forefathers used to work 12hrs a day in a coalmine from age <12 for next to nothing until they died horrible deaths. We'd think these people were mad doing so, but this is how future generation may look back at us too.

It does require a recreation of society though, which has to work out positively otherwise the general public will revolt when pushed too far. This could go in form of taxing the automated companies while still at the same time not making this tax so high that it outweighs the benefits of automation or it will stagnate.

1 danger: this new society will be looking so utopia like(just as western is now) that the entire planet will try to get to it. Therefore it needs to be made possible anywhere else by using the incredibly huge profits that are being made to 'fix' the rest of the planet(there will be lots and lots of hurdles).

BTW if managed to program impartial and fair AI they it may be a better and faster justice system than what we have now e.g.:
In Holland if rich and speeding you'll get the same ticket as average Joe which makes no sense at all for imaginable reasons (I believe in Norway they do it according to income).

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#9]
But poverty, social inequality, war, hunger, diseases, richer people and other poorer.

Yeah, the situation in Aleppo sucks big time at the mo. I'd love to see technology used in some way to try and help alleviate the suffering of the innocent victims of circumstance - fat chance though.

Some nice positive hyperlinks though Jim ;)

Hmm people will let technology turn them even more into mindless fuckwits.

Yeah, I'm sure the whole letting kids use tablets at school en-masse isn't really a step forwards.

On a brighter side... It looks as though good progress is being made with the avatar assault exoskeleton so that the military can round up all of the stupids.

Yay ;)

Interesting Finland are to begin paying basic income to unemployed citizens.

I'd love to see VR becoming more reasonably priced, but my fear is that console games can already hold a lot of appeal over 'reality'.

I think the world is in danger of becoming like the human race depicted in Wall-ee, overweight and transported around on hovver scooters.

I'd like to see progress within one of the BRL products supporting VR development, I think there was one within B3D a while ago.

Mobile
Perhaps geo caching might be the only avenue where family spirits can still come together.

Geo Caching is a fantastic pastime that does a great job of getting young families out walking with their kids - using tech to advocate the use of geo caching would be a great way to encourage excercise again with our younger generation.

Yeah, I love video games and how immersive they can be - but more and more, I enjoy getting out and taking the dog for a walk somewhere new.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2017) [#10]
AI is going to be the thing that dominates this year, and Internet censorship. Mechanics are still quite far behind so we're not going to have any T800s for about another decade yet.

But this year, AI machine learning will get to the extent where it be making a lot of workers unelployed. Due to advances in voice recognition, AI can scan emails, audio and movies for data, I suspect in the near future market research and trends will be detected using AI since advertisements, youtube and the like already use AI to select their intended audience.

This year, AI will be tested first in the UK and monitor the Internet history of all UK citizens (since for insane reasons, your privacy is gone now)

I also believe this year worldwide Internet Censorship to take taking effect, or at the very least, the battle ground will surface when people start to notice.
The fact that the soon to be elected president of the United States voices his annoyances for the whole world to see. He calls the America news outlets liars, and there is nothing anyone can do to try and censor him.
I'm serious! Donald Trump's twitter, it's the most surreal event to happen in this technology age. The most powerful person in the world able to communicate with the entire world without restrictions from anyone, and from anywhere.
This level of power (or losing censorship power for the elites) is certainly not going to be allowed forever. The technology information wars arrived in 2016, and 2017, who knows what is going to happen.

Neuro(Posted 2017) [#11]
While VR is exiting it's starting to feel like a fad and the novelty is wearing off. So what else is there to look forward to? Perhaps we really need portable eye wear tech for VR to become more popular. It needs to be untethered from the PC/console though.

I'm looking forward to this : TPCast

Fielder(Posted 2017) [#12]
Jim, sorry for the OT... but i'm going crazy to add LINE FEED to the clipboard.. i'm using your code http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=58004
sorry again to all for the OT

[EDIT]adding news using EDIT to not increase OT on this topic... :) today i tried using CHR(13) unsuccessfully .. tomorrow i will retry using CHR(10)

EOF(Posted 2017) [#13]

Imperium(Posted 2017) [#14]
Just let me know when I can plug myself into the Matrix.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2017) [#15]

Not yet. :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#16]

You mean you've not been offered a blue or a red pill yet ?

It'd be nice to see VR drop in price by 50 percent by christmas - fat chance!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2017) [#17]
..my prediction is, same old crap, wrapped in new shiny outfit, to look good..

Rick Nasher(Posted 2017) [#18]
I can't believe <neural interface thing> to be possible. My best guess was that once nano tech would really take off, meaning: after AI computers building AI computers, so 2nd gen machines speeding up dev, this would actually be possible to achieve. So, this is too soon in my time table, but perhaps I'm wrong??

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#19]
What Naughty Alien said... Recently i listened to an interview of a guy who works in artificial intelligence and all the tech he was enthusiast about already exist but he just used new words to talk about already existing things/systems.

I like a sentence that a french guy said a while ago in a debate : "we don't need more researchers, we need finders"

John G(Posted 2017) [#20]
AMD Ryzen? This year or maybe later...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#21]
AI is dead, without some very intelligent person and suitable hardware. We have neither.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2017) [#22]
I somehow do not agree to all you naysayers staring into the dark void.
AI was and still is dead as it is not alive by definition and is of course massively hyped, but also it's actually working better and better all the time if you follow the advances on *all* fields deployed in.
Things are busy nevertheless, some examples:

Artificial intelligence can spot skin cancer as well as a trained doctor:
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/26/14396500/ai-skin-cancer-detection-stanford-university

FPGA-Based AI System Recognizes Faces at 1,000 Images per Second:
http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1331264

Google wants to add AI to Raspberry Pi gadgets
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3162051/internet-of-things/google-wants-to-add-ai-to-gadgets-made-using-raspberry-pi.html

The World’s First AI Supercomputer in a Box:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/deep-learning-system.html

It may seem slow for now, but things sometimes evolve/develop by small steps, sometimes they make huge leaps.

Matty(Posted 2017) [#23]
I think AI is definitely improving.

Building machines with better fine motor control is coming along - they are still very clumsy - but the ability of machines to behave as both expert systems and interpolating data is very, very good and getting better all the time.

I doubt we will ever get to a stage that we have machine consciousness - though maybe in the longer future we will develop that as well.

My grandparents lived until they were 90 plus. In their lifetime they saw the introduction of flight, space travel, computers shrinking from the size of a building to a mobile phone, television - technological change is not slowing down and I wonder what I will see in my lifetime and my nephews and nieces lifetime. People our age have already seen huge changes - our mobile phones are more powerful than anything that existed 30 years ago - and that's in our pocket.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2017) [#24]
..people getting deluded by comparing how things were and how they are now..once you remove all shiny bits, all one can say is, it gets smaller, but in its principle, concept, way it works, its identical...and thats exactly where problem is..there is NO real inventions anymore..same old stuff, repackaged..computers as we know, are literally, same as any existed decades ago, in terms of principle they operate, which is exactly fundamental flaw in any attempt to even mimic any kind of AI on some reasonable level..whole underlying tech is simply unable to deliver what AI requires..simple as it is..im not trying to inspire 'dark void', im just stating simple reality..thats all..

A computer is "a glorified, high-class, very fast but stupid filing system.” -- Richard Feynman

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2017) [#25]

it gets smaller, but in its principle, concept, way it works, its identical...and thats exactly where problem is..there is NO real inventions anymore..same old stuff, repackaged..computers as we know, are literally, same as any existed decades ago, in terms of principle they operate

Naughty Alien, you'll love this:- :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CROmsSyVVF4

Rick Nasher(Posted 2017) [#26]
In all respect, I don't want to say this is complete nonsense, but.. it is! ;-) Here's why:

When reasoning this way, even all inventions Da Vinci ever made were just things already there: wood? metal? parchment? glass? All that's stuff already existed. It was just combined to some configuration. And like this you can reason away anything towards insignificant.

Coding? Writing in Word? Nothing impressive: just moving bits of electricity around.

At low level it may not mean much, but it's not of what things are made, it's really all about the configuration, the order of things that makes it what it is. Just check molecules. Zoom in and there's apparently nothing new: just plain old atoms already around for ages, but still it leads to new properties/possibilities when zoomed out on the base material.

If not so. Please name 1 item that wasn't constructed from something that was already there before..

Rick Nasher(Posted 2017) [#27]
*And this YouTube propaganda:

Even though I agree it feels like that. It's also biased and nostalgic thinking that in the past all was better, which is just not true:

Lot's of stuff has always been based on stuff in the past and at a certain point in a field or topic, e.g. music, it will increasingly get more difficult to find something new for a lot has already been done before, so get saturated.

A painting can take only as much paint as it can hold in a lot of shear endless combinations, but at one point you will have covered them all or at least will start to look the same or worse than the once so unique creations. Then it's time to move onto something new.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#28]
@Rick>>what i meant was that some things/technologies/concepts already existed in the past but the new students/scientists just use new trendy words to describe old already existing things/technologies/concepts, or endlessly theorize about what probably could be done, but never achieve something worthy.

but of course there is a continuous progress in all fields but the "progress" is sometimes in the wrong direction ! (planned obsolescence)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2017) [#29]
Hmmm.. How about this:

IBM beefs up its powerful cognitive computers with Google's AI tools:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3161933/hardware/ibm-brings-googles-ai-tools-to-its-powerful-computers.html

Doesn't anybody really see a sure and sturdy progress in all of these area's?
- I remember talking to voice recognition on Windows in round year 2000 and it sucked even after training it for hours. Now I can talk to my Android phone and has very, very few misses, even in my own language. Hence I rather use it when searching for something as it's faster and easier than typing.
- Google Translate using AI pretty good and way better than Bing Translate.
- Picture recognition also getting there surprisingly good.

These are key ingredients into building a system that's 'aware' of it's surroundings/environment and can interact with them.
Sure it took a long time to get there, but it's not easy: the brain is a complex thing.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2017) [#30]
@ Rick

-examples you took are exactly what any filling system is designed to do, and exists for a decades..absolutely no progress there except, more of individual gates are packed at smaller surface, hence more 'power' and new applications you mentioned...all that is fine, but in order to achieve any form of 'self aware' AI, this technology of endless packing microswitches in to smaller and smaller place, is not way to go as its lacking several fundamental flaws and cant be used to solve few necessary tasks which are required for anything what should even mimic 'self awareness', such as:

-Unstructured problem solving, seen as situations in which the rules do not currently exist.
-Acquiring and processing new information, deciding what is relevant in a flood of undefined phenomena presented at given moment or extracted from several unconnected chains of events
-Nonroutine physical work, as complex tasks in 3-D space, from cleaning to driving to cooking to giving manicures, which is thought of as relatively low-skilled work for humans, but actually requires a combination of skill #1 and skill #2..skill #whatever, that is extremely difficult for computers to master and in use of current underlying tech is virtually impossible due principle its working on..

..list could go on and on..all im saying is, while many things coming out and does look attractive, in its essence is literally nothing new..and when i say, nothing new, i mean on time when ace such as Nikola Tesla came, and changed things upside down with work he did..all i see is theoretical blabbering with nothing new to deliver...typical scenario where you have so many 'smart scientists', payed like a rockstars, and all you have got is bunch of theories they do not understand themselves, which indicates that there is no fresh, new ideas and really new breaktroughs, just commercial mumbo jumbo and funding hunt for yet another one theory..

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#31]
it gets smaller, but in its principle, concept, way it works, its identical...and thats exactly where problem is..there is NO real inventions anymore..same old stuff, repackaged..computers as we know, are literally, same as any existed decades ago, in terms of principle they operate

I quite like the way this processing power is packaged:

https://www.parrot.com/fr/drones/parrot-ardrone-20-elite-%C3%A9dition#in-the-box

Rick Nasher(Posted 2017) [#32]
@Naughty Alien

Of course there are limitations to the hardware, but also very much so in the hardware of the flesh, which needed a loooooong time to evolve. Limitations of the hardware will not necessarily mean things can't be overcome. E.g: cars are basically our mechanical horses.

Quantum computers are being sold as we speak and processing power will be increasing immens when switching to light based circuitry. So will storage capacity I have no doubt.

So I think steps we have taken in the last centuries are quite rapid in comparison and still ever increasing even though hard to notice as developments may appear to be slow from day to day, over a lifetime lot's will have changed.

And yes: it's a filing system, but so is the universe if looked at it from a certain perspective, just as well as our brain. Difference is the fancy algorithms that are able to handle all the stored information and apply this to 'new' situations. 'New' is relative for our brains always compare the new situation to things stored in memory, that it came across before in order to make 'sound' decisions. Just like a robot vacuum cleaner does to find it's way round.

Added to this there's an algorithm that makes us able to look at our own actions and reflect, for this we need a massive and effective filing system of course. This in itself could be called self awareness.

But what makes self awareness is still very much open to debate. Are we really only biological machines or is there more than meets the eye. I personally think there's more and self aware AI's will always just be very cleverly mimicking ours, almost to an indistinguishable level, but still there will be an edge. Unless The Singularity's children will be able to find out what exactly is the difference and is able to replicate this.(frightening thought btw)

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#33]
@Rick>>with your quantum computer, soon you will be able to explore multi verses, probably faster than the speed of light and even maybe travel back in time, who knows ! (huge trolling, sorry)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2017) [#34]
No offence :-)

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#35]
this quantum bs reminds me of a dialogue in a french movie :
one guy says : i have big plans (money related), but this is not sure (->qbit)
the other guy says : i have small plans (money related), but this is sure (->bit)
;)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2017) [#36]
lol
Perhaps anyone cares for some more non-innovative stuff?

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-just-announced-a-brand-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals

EOF(Posted 2017) [#37]
What I find quite sad is how tech is being used to create the most pointless stuff aiming to solve a problem that's not really there in the first place. As if all of a sudden today's generation are unable to function without the aid of 50 gadgets. It's as if any form of manual effort has to be replaced by a helping gadget.

So, 2017 is going to be more useless junk solving non-existing problems.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#38]
As far as I can see CPU's have stagnated and GPU's are only incrementally improving. So I see software advancing to pick-up the slack. More efficient API's like DirectX 12 and Vulcan, Metal and others.

Matty(Posted 2017) [#39]
@Jim Brown - one of the tech gadgets I can't stand is the 'fitbit'.

When I was a young man, and quite fit, in order to get fit all I had to do was exercise by running around the block for 30 minutes and raise a sweat during that time 3 times a week. That was sufficient.

Nowadays people think that by knowing their heart rate, how many steps they make, and other metrics they will magically get fit.

Nothing beats going for a run around the block a few times either in the morning or after dinner regularly - with no measurements of heart rate, calorie estimates, or foot steps made.

EOF(Posted 2017) [#40]

MadJack(Posted 2017) [#41]
I think the only prediction I'd make is that Playstation VR is the area where VR will take off while VR on the PC will languish somewhat.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#42]
@Matty & Jim>>Yes but then, without the gadget, you can't post your stats on facebook !