BRL icon - suggestion for the website

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/BRL icon - suggestion for the website

degac(Posted 2016) [#1]
Ok, I'm not a designer, but the favicon is not the best thing I've seen.
So this is my attempt to represent the BlitzResearch legacy

http://www.graphio.net/Images/brl-logo2.svg

Derron(Posted 2016) [#2]
You should consider (means "try out") how it looks if the "\"-parts of the "B" get the same angles like the "flash".

At least for now you have different angles here and there, creating a "not really joint"-look.

BTW: this was my old suggestion for BMX-NG,

https://github.com/bmx-ng/bmx-ng/issues/1

Maybe it brings in another idea - at least it is "generic" enough for BRL, not just BlitzMax or BlitzBasic.

Nonetheless I do not like that "dull" look of todays logos, I prefered the more "glossy" ones of the early 2k era.

bye
Ron

degac(Posted 2016) [#3]
Mine was just an idea.
Consider that a favicon should be readable (it's very tiny) and I would join the 'B' of BlitzBasic-BlitzMax-Blitz3d-BRL with the idea of the 'blitz'... and honestly much better than the current 'B' (in pixel style) (personal opinion of course!).

I think that a plain style (or dull) for some things (like favicon or logo) is the best solution.

PS: this is not intended like a logo for BlitzMax or Monkey or any other product, just something for BRL (Blitz Research Ltd)
This site should be called 'Blitz Research' as it give the birth to many languages... quite sure nothing happens anyway :)

Derron(Posted 2016) [#4]
For such thigs the best is to contact skid in private...to get a response is more likely then.

Bye
Ron

Grisu(Posted 2016) [#5]
Both logos look fine to me.

Kryzon(Posted 2016) [#6]

Maybe something more like the original Blitz Basic software identity.

Font used is Dosis extra-bold.

Or something with that red rocket icon used for building\launching your program.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#7]
I've seen the "new" favicon somewhere before... its the "B" from some old logo or something for Blitz Basic...

GW(Posted 2016) [#8]
Is this change just for the sake of change?

Whats wrong with -->

or this --> minus the 'Max'

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#9]
For inspiration, I would regard blitz.fon as the fundamental Blitz Research look although Rod Smith's BlitzMax logo is mint.

I particularly like the idea of the red rocket for favicon.

degac(Posted 2016) [#10]
I like very much the BlitzMax logo (even without the MAX word) - it would be nice if a .svg (or other format) was available of that logo (not just for me, for all of course!)

Blitz Research original logo is still perfect, but very hard to transform in a favicon, and it still lacks of 'personality'... it's just a plain text.
Same for BlitzBasic... while the 'double B' is interesting.

About the red rocket: excluding the people who knows/had used the BRL ide, if you see a rocket (not so original in any case, just try to do a search in google and see - there's even a condom brand!) what do you think?
And what's the link between the word 'blitz' and the 'rocket'?
And to be honest the latest MX2 Ide doesn't even use the icon (well, there's no a toolbar at all!).

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#11]
Here's a link to a blitzmax SVG logo, made by TheHand:
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7w8KWMlJ2S-NTBjMGRhMjEtOWIyYi00NDZlLThhZjMtYjZiNDYzYThjZDNm&hl=en

(link from this thread: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=88846 )

degac(Posted 2016) [#12]
Ok, I just did a quick test to see the results of the images as a favicon

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

(1) it's a rework of BlitzMax logo (minus Max) on a black disk: you can't even read the word BLITZ.
(2) and (3) are based on mine work and on Kryzon logo
(4) it's the B from the BlitzMax logo enlarged - still a little difficult to read it.

edit: just see the link for the BRL SVG logo. Thanks!!!

edit: added #5

Kryzon(Posted 2016) [#13]
And what's the link between the word 'blitz' and the 'rocket'?

A cartoon\stylised rocket to me is associated with "movement, exploration, adventure".
The red colour of that rocket can have a cultural meaning of "excitement, youthful, bold".

to be honest the latest MX2 Ide doesn't even use the icon (well, there's no a toolbar at all!).

But this is a separate website (blitzbasic.com and blitzmax.com), legacy products, right?
The Monkey-x website already has a fav-icon: http://www.monkey-x.com/favicon.png

-----
edit: that's a cool preview list for the icons.

GW(Posted 2016) [#14]
Personally, I prefer something like #4. Although the icon from MaxIde is nearly identical and cleaner.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#15]
Btw this would be mine as favicon:

But it was proposed as BMX-NG logo and is just here to give additional "ideas".

@ #4
you cannot in all cases just scale a graphic down and still hope it looks good. The grayish part around the blue "B" in the logo just does not have enough contrast. So when scaling it down, it begins to look less crisp.
Imho you need to redo the graphics on a "smaller scale base" and use that for the favicon (so eg. design with 64x64).

bye
Ron

Hardcoal(Posted 2016) [#16]
Agree with Derro.. This is a Good Icon ^^

degac(Posted 2016) [#17]
Ok
I tried to make the favicon from the .svg file - but I edited it manually because the initial result was very blurry.

@GW I just realized that the icon (squared) is the same of the BlitzMax!

@Kryzon:

about the colours... I just believe that (personally, of course) I prefer the blue and violet colors: trust + creativity: Blitz products still works without problems (trust) and are used to express your creativity.

And finally Derron's creation has both of them, plus the 'blitz'.
At this point I could drop the 'B' letter from the favicon :)

My only concern is that my initial focus was on BRL (Blitz Research) than on its products.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#18]
@degac - 5 is my fav.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2016) [#19]

what's the link between the word 'blitz' and the 'rocket'?

There isn't one -- I created this one at Guildhall Leisure's request (I'm most definitely not a designer).

I'd been playing around with little rocket demos and a rocket was the first thing that came to mind for 'Launch', which I think the option might have been called at the time (or maybe I just thought of it as 'launching' the program).

Bit of a weird product logo, but hey-ho. It sort of set the tone!

The green background here was from the early web site.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#20]
#5 fits well enough. There is a remark to the IDE and the blitzB/M-Logos. For ones knowing the language already ...they will recognize it for sure...in their favorites list.

If there is desire I could try to redo the BlitzMax-Logo but replace "Max" with "community".

Bye
Ron

Kryzon(Posted 2016) [#21]
Bit of a weird product logo, but hey-ho. It sort of set the tone!

The green background here was from the early web site.

I love those cyan shades. To me that screen gives a feeling of "toy" (in the good sense, something that is friendly and fun).

An attempt at BRL's red B (32px and 16px):

--------------------------------
So, updating the list:

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#22]
can we also have a slogan? I vote for "Make Blitz Great Again"

BlitzSupport(Posted 2016) [#23]

that screen gives a feeling of "toy" (in the good sense, something that is friendly and fun)

Yeah, I think so too.

Like your 32x B there! The smaller one seems to have lost some of its vibrancy, maybe needs redenning-up a bit, but gets my vote so far...

"Make Blitz Great Again"

"lol"

MikeHart(Posted 2016) [#24]
My favorites

#5 and #7

Kryzon(Posted 2016) [#25]
The smaller one seems to have lost some of its vibrancy, maybe needs redenning-up a bit, but gets my vote so far...

Hmm, you're right. It looks a bit pillow-shaded too.

#7 —>

I also changed #5, I hope it's an improvement:

#5 —>

I think #5 is more elegant, so my vote is for that one.

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#26]
Due to the popular feedback, #5 is currently in use on a trial basis. Thanks Kryzon!

degac(Posted 2016) [#27]
Wow, nice!

Yue(Posted 2016) [#28]
Excellent choice of icon.

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#29]
The monkey sites now need some love I think.

If B was rotated 90 degrees clockwise perhaps a matching pink lower case m could be composed that complemented things?

I did a quick sketch of an m with the monkey2 tail but yeh nah...

Derron(Posted 2016) [#30]
> The monkey sites now need some love I think.

So you "take-over" monkey-x too ?

If that is _really_ the case, you should consider if joining things back together (one "brl community forum") would be a better option.

But then it would be a good idea to move the forums to a "3rd party forum" (takes off some burden from you when bugs are lurking around).

@ turned B to M
no tail please - it would look odd in 16x16. If you want to have it look similar to the bold B of "#5", then just use a bold M.
But of course this does not fit to the design of monkey-x.com then. The blitzmax.com/blitzbasic.com looks so 90s, that this 90s-game-"B" fits well ;-)

bye
Ron

bye
Ron

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#31]
I'm not taking over anything. I am simply a monkey2 fan / patreon who wants to see it succeed and think a nice shiny icon on the site would help attach a little class to the web-front of a product I hold in high regard.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#32]
Ah ok..

But For what is a "favicon" designed? Yes - exactly for "fav...orites".
Ok, meanwhile some search engines display favicons next to a website title, and also browsers use it in their tabs.

But as monkey has a favicon (currently the little monkey) I do not see any need to redo it (now).

Think task "BRL Icon" is solved for now.

Of course an official "red letter"-BRL-avatar on github would be nice, but that is "sugar".

PS: Your regex thread got my reply some time ago - do not hesitate to reply if ok.

bye
Ron

JoshK(Posted 2016) [#33]
It's got what plants crave.

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#34]

degac(Posted 2016) [#35]
@JoshK: well designed, I like it too (B+ blitz/thunder) - very good for a proper BRL logo.

degac(Posted 2016) [#36]
@Skidracer

Honestly I still have doubt about the name (Monkey X 2, Monkey2, Mx2)... and if MX2 should be considered as an evolution of MX1 or a new 'evolution branch'.
In the first case I think the MonkeyX1 favicon (maybe with a different background color) should be enough.

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#37]
I should have known better than to go all off topic dropping the m bomb so apologies.

degac(Posted 2016) [#38]
Well, the goal of this thread is accomplished, you could close it if you think so, and open another one more specific about a favicon for Monkey2.
I don't think it's completely 'off-topic'

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#39]
It must be a rocket, and I always compile my executables with this icon (but can't remember where I got it from).

16x16:
48x48:

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#40]
I like the idea of rocket over monkey.

"One day I aspire to be a professional rocket coder."

In regards to rocket logo, I think it makes more sense to fire them upwards, better than on an angle IMHO.

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#41]
The angle uses the available space much better than a vertical rocket IMHO.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#42]
I think the BRL icon in the favicon looks fine. keeping it simple.