PSVR will hit mass market before others, says GfK

Community Forums/Technical Discourse/PSVR will hit mass market before others, says GfK

Hotcakes(Posted 2016) [#1]
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/psvr-nearing-combined-install-base-of-oculus-rift-and-htc-vive-says-gfk/0176438

Oh yeah, what makes you such an expert? :p

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2016) [#2]
I thought we were talking about Dave GFK for a moment there.

I think a big plus point for PLaystation VR is that you don't need to buy a new PC or fiddle about massively with drivers and the like.

Sure it's probably the least impressive of the three technically, but if buying the camera and headset is about the same price as buying a new console, it's more sensibly affordable.

I wonder what will happen with VR once Resident Evil VII comes out.
Can it be the Final Fantasy VII of VR.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2016) [#3]
..oh..where is GFK by the way..i havent seen his post quite a while..i hope he is well? yes?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2016) [#4]
He got banned and very occassionally posts on the Unity forums. No idea how he is doing.

[edit]
We were following each other on twitter but that link seems to have gone. Even the private messages have been deleted, guess he deleted his account.
I hope he is ok.

EdzUp MkII(Posted 2016) [#5]
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1703638543

That's his facebuck profile ;)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#6]
Last I heard we was printing T Shirts for a living instead of making games. A waste of talent IMO, and his wit is missed here.

Neuro(Posted 2016) [#7]
I could be wrong but didn't the PSVR already outsold both the Rift and Vive?

Pakz(Posted 2016) [#8]
I see gfk reguraly on socoder.net. He is fine :)

therevills(Posted 2016) [#9]
I've got a brand new PS4 Pro and PSVR with all the other stuff waiting for me on Xmas day!!!!

Can't wait!

I've been following the latest VR phase since Oculus Kickstarter, had a DK1 too... but Oculus has gone strange and didnt have the touch controllers at the time, HTC Vive looks awesome... but I'm not keen on the external camera setup you need to do.

And for me in Oz, I need to build a new PC (my current is 7 years old) and buy the HMD... which will cost around $3000 AUD....

We got the PS4 Pro/PSVR/Camera/Move controllers + games etc for less than $1200 AUD.

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#10]
I've been following the latest VR phase since Oculus Kickstarter, had a DK1 too... but Oculus has gone strange and didnt have the touch controllers at the time, HTC Vive looks awesome... but I'm not keen on the external camera setup you need to do.

The big advantage of the vive's two base stations is that it covers your entire play area regardless of which way you are facing, unlike the Playstation VR where your body can obscure the controllers from the camera.

I have a Vive waiting for christmas, after previously having borrowed one from a friend for a couple of days to try it out -- amazingly immersive. It's interesting how much your body tells you not to take that step forward when you're standing on the edge of a virtual cliff. :-)

Neuro(Posted 2016) [#11]
Currently have the DK2....been able to try all the CV1 stuff so far and I'm looking to get the actual version soon being that the Oculus touch are now available. But i agree, room scale VR is definitely the way to go. I tried out the light saber demo on the HTC Vive at the Microsoft store.....didn't want to stop but had to give someone else a go :).

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2016) [#12]
I heard (ironically) that the PS4Pro works worse with VR, due to some issues with darkness. Hope everything is ok with it for you.

Hotcakes(Posted 2016) [#13]
He got banned

Oh, great. There goes my joke thread. :p

I wonder what will happen with VR once Resident Evil VII comes out.

I got no sickness from the demo, so I'm now eagerly anticipating my pre-ordered copy to arrive in Jan :)

For those that don't know, the RE7 demo supports both regular and VR play. Some people don't seem to know it exists, so here's a heads up.

I could be wrong but didn't the PSVR already outsold both the Rift and Vive?

Yup, almost as many as the two put together. Which means the install base for PS4 VR units is approximately the same as the install base for PC VR units, so my fears about lack of content shouldn't be a problem. Huzzah.

I've got a brand new PS4 Pro and PSVR with all the other stuff waiting for me on Xmas day!!!!

Be sure to download the ~32GB demo disc available from the PS Store; it's a lot more content complete than the physical disc.

It's interesting how much your body tells you not to take that step forward when you're standing on the edge of a virtual cliff. :-)

Yup I had that with the Ocean Descent (PSVR) demo. Exact same feeling as when my fear of heights kicks in.

Being exposed to Until Dawn Rush of Blood has almost nullified the feeling I get from (at least VR) rollercoasters. I seriously wonder how much benefit these technologies could have for getting people over certain fears and phobias.

I heard (ironically) that the PS4Pro works worse with VR, due to some issues with darkness.

Can't say I can confirm anything along those lines; I would surmise that any problems to be had would be game specific (case in point, the broken Depth of field effect in the World of Final Fantasy 1.01 patch).

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2016) [#14]
2016, the day that a demo is 32GB?

Hotcakes(Posted 2016) [#15]
Lol it's almost the American demo disc - a compilation of 16 or so demos. So ~2GB per demo :p

Neuro(Posted 2016) [#16]
Maybe i should just get the PSVR instead....i already have the PS4 camera (original one) and the two PS3 move controllers from by light gun - Time Crisis Razing Storm days...

Hotcakes(Posted 2016) [#17]
Well, you already have about 5/8ths of the investment needed :p

Hey therevills, the number of PSVR users in Aus has got to be pretty small. Add me if you want, my PSN is 'Hotcakes' (surprise!).

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2016) [#18]
5 completed games out of 70?

Poor showing there Hotcakes ;)

https://psnprofiles.com/Hotcakes

Ian Thompson(Posted 2016) [#19]
Tried the PSVR in store, wasn't too impressed TBH, fuzzy low res and much simplified rendering when compared to the PC alternatives. Much cheaper though for a complete setup.

Hotcakes(Posted 2016) [#20]
Lol because Trophies are the ultimate mark of whether you've finished a game or not :p And not a complete waste of time at all!

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2016) [#21]

And not a complete waste of time at all!

So why did you go for Platinum on Dartk Souls and Bloodborne then? ;)

Hotcakes(Posted 2016) [#22]
Cuz those games are stupidly fun. I should have Until Dawn in that list too, but I've been lazy.