Wave V2

Community Forums/Showcase/Wave V2

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#1]
Here's a pic of version 2 of Wave. Version 1 was posted before with it's mono green screen ui, this is the new version based on completely new code.

Wave uses a new audio core (a heavily modified blitz one) that allows envelopes, pan, LFO, PPG wavetable, true loops, crossfades and matrix routing.

it loads and converts 8-bit, 16-bit, & 24-bit waveforms (wav and aiff) and loads raw sample formats from most synth manufactures including fairlight, emu, kwai, kurzweil, yamaha, roland, akai, ppg, korg

You can view waveforms in 2d, 3d, and true 3d (where you can rotate the sound in 3d).

Complex editing includes sample mixing, pitch and volume control.

Complete wave synthesis is possible using 48 harmonics in realtime with different input parameters, so you can actually create sound from nothing.

Currently Full MIDI learn is being added to the UI with two-way communication allowing automated (motorised) faders.

Full sequencing both audio and MIDI is also being added.

Currently no release date.

Last edited 2013

Dabhand(Posted 2013) [#2]
Warner Bros... First thing I thought of when I looked at the screenie! :D

Looks nice mind! :)

Dabz

GfK(Posted 2013) [#3]
Looks great but might be wise to change that logo! Warner still use it.

[edit] Just checked - it was used in the 70's/80's for Warner Bros - it's now the shield one with "WB" in it.

The one you've got is the logo of Warner Music (which makes is doubly bad!)

Last edited 2013

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#4]
no problem, I'll get onto something else for the logo :)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2013) [#5]
Wow, impressive!

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#6]
Thanks for that - To please BlitzSupport is indeed a compliment.

Here's a bit more info:
- My initially intention was to allow me to modify sample data, loop points for Roland .wav format.

- It became apparent that I could do a bit more and Wave 1 development was started - this was really a proof of concept and dev project to see what I could achieve and what was possible.

- Although blitz sound support is good, I wanted deeper access to loop points. So I rewrote the openAL C++ to support this and also a lot more synth based stuff.

- wave 1 was meant to be a homage to the fairlight series IIx (hence its dos-like UI). Wave 2 is both a homage to Fairlight series III, plus a more up-to-date UI

- The custom written UI which is page based. You give the UI a list of pages and the controls for that page. The UI is size agnostic - it will resize itself, and has numerous primitive controls, with each application adding there own custom controls. The UI handles all screen drawing (including an opengl window if needed), message support, osx lion fullscreen, and touchpad support for things like magnify, swipe, etc.

- wave 1 had preliminary support for fairlight harmonic sound creation. Wave 2 has this but with much more control, plus additional PPG wavetable synthesis.

I wanted a Fairlight CMI, so I created Wave 2 as a modern equivalent!

- Internally Wave has 32 voices, and each voice can be made up from 32 sub voices. These subvoices can be allocated across a keyboard or stacked together in whatever way you want.

- MIDI is also implemented directly into the UI. I'm going to support up to four different MIDI devices, each being Mackie compliant, custom surface, or keyboard compliant. Full MIDI learn is also in the UI, so you can pick an onscreen control, play with MIDI, and the UI learns.

- I'm currently working on the sequencer.

More to come

Last edited 2013

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2013) [#7]
Wow, looking forward to trying this one out. I assume with all the work it will be a paid app, so hopefully a demo will be available.

slenkar(Posted 2013) [#8]
whenever i mess with sound programs they dont explain what the different filters do, so Im pressing random buttons not knowing what will happen.

Ross C(Posted 2013) [#9]
Looks great!

_PJ_(Posted 2013) [#10]
That looks excellent, A very professional interface and seems like an extremely useful program too!

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#11]
Here's the latest version of wave with the new icon that in no way looks like the Warner Music one ;)

Shown are some different pages:
- top left is the about page which gives details about Waves heritage, etc
- mid left is the combinator where you can create a new sound from two others (you can just see the curve in the middle that decides which sound to use)
- bottom left is the song/pattern page where you have up to 32 sub voices (think tracks)
- bottom middle is the pattern page with the mixer visible. Each sub voice has it's own volume, pan, mute/solo, colour, grouping and delay
- top middle is the main page menu
- top right is the terminal page. think of this as a sort of DOS box/terminal. Like the Fairlight you can operate Wave with just the keyboard and directly enter commands. E.G. to create a voice, you could type CREATE VOICE, VOICE CREATE, CV... and more. Wave is intelligent enough to decide the correct thing to do
- middle left is a close up of the submix faders. 8 has been coloured green, 9 is grouped/linked to 8 so it is also green and pushed back in the ui to make it easy to see different groupings.
A group/linked track does not have any note information, but uses the parent tracks notes.
A simple way to think of this is a track is a single voice, tracks that are linked are played together, so (in the case of 8+9) both 8 and 9 play together, so the sound is made from two voices. In synthesiser terms it would be a 2 oscillators. You have up to 32 sub voice, so in effect you could have a single sound made up from 32 oscillators... (I haven't actually tried it though)