New remake: Arcadia

Community Forums/Showcase/New remake: Arcadia

Sokurah(Posted 2012) [#1]
Arcadia is not only a pretty traditional shoot ‘em up, but this remake is also a remake of one of the earliest big-selling action games on the ZX Spectrum. There are only two rules; shoot…and survive!

My projects tend to grow bigger and bigger with each game, so with this game the idea was to remake something simple – something that could be done in no more than two weeks – just for fun, and it shouldn’t be a vector game…but I was going to make it as one (helps development along when you don't have to draw a bunch of pixelart) ;-). I asked for suggestions on a forum about what to do and I chose this game from the answers.

Made in BlitzMax as usual. :-)

Read more and get the download links for Windows and OSX here: http://tardis.dk/wordpress/?page_id=937

A couple of screenshots. Click for larger versions

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#2]
Aww I remember Arcadia fondly. Downloading...

[edit]
Very nice version, even if you did cheat a little by avoiding pixel art lol. No, I like the glowing vector graphics.

Last edited 2012

ervin(Posted 2012) [#3]
Love it. Fantastic stuff.

Arcadia was one of the first c64 games I ever played, something like 28 years ago (or thereabouts).

Just letting you know - "current" is spelt incorrectly on the redefine keys screen.

Sokurah(Posted 2012) [#4]
Just letting you know - "current" is spelt incorrectly on the redefine keys screen.

Haha, so it is. Oops. :-) ...I'll change that next time I update it. ;-)
Thanks. :-)

KronosUK(Posted 2012) [#5]
Seems a little hard at first. My ships only last about 5 seconds.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#6]
Love the cool neon glowing look. :)

Wiebo(Posted 2012) [#7]
Love it!!! Again, a nice one, Sokurah! I've put it in my 'to keep' remakes folder. :)

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#8]
Love the cool neon glowing look. :)

Me, too. I need to figure out how to do this.

Corum(Posted 2012) [#9]
Me, too. I need to figure out how to do this.

Search for Indiepath's texturedpoly mod.

_PJ_(Posted 2012) [#10]
Lovely!!!

Arcadia was a big hit on the speccy and this version looks to be a very well polished remake!