New remake: Black Widow

Community Forums/Showcase/New remake: Black Widow

Sokurah(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi guys,

I've remade the vector graphics game, Black Widow. It's done in BlitzMax.
The original arcade game was originally released by Atari in 1982.

Here's a short description;
Black Widow is an arena-shooter, where the object is to defeat the insects and get as far as you can. As a spider in the center of the web, you must defend it and yourself from invading bugs. These foes will try to run into you, blow you up if shoot them, or fire rockets at you if you do not kill the other enemies! It has been described as a cross between Robotron: 2084 due to one joystick being used for movement and another one for firing. Does not have as many objects on the screen as Robotron but gets quite intense anyway.

I hope you like it. :-)

Download it from my site here: http://tardis.dk/wordpress/?page_id=445

...a couple of screenshots;

...it will also do pure lines if you're not into glowing graphics.

Last edited 2012

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#2]
ok sorta nice - but you've got some issues with the mac version - you can't quit!

ctrl+q and the red close button is the usual method for osx quitting

so this means your menu items for quit are also kaput

here's the code you'll need to jigger and add somewhere into you main loop:

select EventID()
Case EVENT_APPTERMINATE, EVENT_WINDOWCLOSE
AppQuit = True

Your loop will be different to mine, but you get the gist :)

Last edited 2012

Midimaster(Posted 2012) [#3]
this glowing is so nice!!! Is it an ai algo or a lot of handmae images?

Sokurah(Posted 2012) [#4]

Rubbish, the menu item works just fine. Of course you can quit that way - that's the primary (and obviously only) way of quitting.
...the other ways may not work, but exiting through the menu absolutely does. :-)

You do get an error if you run the game directly from the DMG file (I guess it can't save the settings into the DMG file), which is why the readme file says you should drag the files from the DMG file to where you want them and run the game from there.

In my previous games I've written the settings file to the Document folder, but for some reason I didn't do that this time, and now I know what can happen. Oops. Still, it's not serious and avoiding the error is an easy fix - just follow the instructions. ;-)
...I'll include this fix the next time I update the game.

But I'm, sorry - I'm not usually a Mac user, so I've never given any thought to Ctrl-Q (in any application), and since I prefer fullscreen mode the game isn't really meant to run in a window and the red close button won't be visible. I didn't really occur to me that anyone would run it in a window.
...but like with the save-thing, I'll see if I can get this working the next time I update it. :-)

(Edit: I've tested the game on three versions of OSX and exiting from the menu option worked on all three of them. The "newest" OS was 10.6.8 though, but I can't imagine any of the later versions behave differently).

this glowing is so nice!!! Is it an ai algo or a lot of handmae images?

Sounds like you're mixing two things up, so I'll answer both. ;-)

It's not based on images - it uses Indiepath's "Textured Poly" to draw the glowing lines and everything is stored as vector coordinates.

Every enemy has it's own AI depending on what it needs to do. I think the enemy that has the most complex is the "BugSlayer", and its AI is 215 lines.

Last edited 2012

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#5]
Looks great, I really love the style!

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#6]
if you're using fullscreen I take it that ctrl+cmd+f will flip between osx fullscreen and window mode? ;)

Sokurah(Posted 2012) [#7]
if you're using fullscreen I take it that ctrl+cmd+f will flip between osx fullscreen and window mode? ;)

Haha...ehrm... :-)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#8]
Looks like one of those old atari games. NICE :D

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#9]
Looks good, will check it out :)

Boy you've written a load of games. Be good if you can finish the Oids remake though :D

Sokurah(Posted 2012) [#10]
Well Steve, just between the two os us (and possibly the rest of the Internet) :-), I've already decided that I won't be finishing Oids (I just haven't updated my site to reflect it yet).

Too bad really, since I've done a truckload of work on it, but there's still SO much left to do, and I think I'd rather start from scratch and work the elements of Oids into another "original" game...sometime.

I was great to finally finish this game though (after 2½ years - although actual development has "only" taken about 4 months), so now I'll be concentrating on some of my other WIP's that has fallen by the wayside.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#11]
lol, noo. Oids remake could well be your best game yet. I too started something based on oids, which I might re-visit :D

2 1/2 years, wow I assumed you were banging out the games at a rate of knots based on the fact you're written so many. Haha too many projects. I see ;)

Sokurah(Posted 2012) [#12]
2 1/2 years, wow I assumed you were banging out the games at a rate of knots based on the fact you're written so many. Haha too many projects. I see ;)

Well, actual development is only about 4 months. I've made 4 other games (+2 almost complete WIP's) in those two years between beginning and actually completing it. ;)

Wiebo(Posted 2012) [#13]
I will play this for sure once I get back from a weekend break with the missus... Thanks man!

col(Posted 2012) [#14]
Looks good, plays good, IS good.

Thanks.

Sokurah(Posted 2012) [#15]
ok sorta nice - but you've got some issues with the mac version - you can't quit!
ctrl+q and the red close button is the usual method for osx quitting

You do get an error if you run the game directly from the DMG file (I guess it can't save the settings into the DMG file), which is why the readme file says you should drag the files from the DMG file to where you want them and run the game from there.
...I'll include this fix the next time I update the game.

I've updated the OSX version of the game now. Better late than never, eh? :-)

There are three changes in the latest version (v1.1).

* It'll now save the settings directly to the Documents folder, so it'll now run directly from the dmg file without throwing up an error as before.

* I've also added a check for closing the game using ctrl-q and the red close button. It should work most places in the game (but not in the "instructions" menu...I think I forgot that). :)

* I've also fixed the automatic "search for updates" function that is run when scores are synced. Unfortunately I hadn't expected as many entries in the sql table that holds the version numbers, so the game would hang when scores were synced, but that works now.
(...however, I think that problem is affecting all my older (osx) versions too, so I'll be going through them sometime in 2013.) :-/

But for now, enjoy an updated version that works (slightly) better then the first release. ;-)

http://tardis.dk/wordpress/?page_id=445

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2012) [#16]
I've noticed that on this site, a lot of retro remakes are using vector graphics.
I'm not complaining as they look good, but my question is

Is that a natural feature of BlitzMax, or do a person need a framework for it?

Otherwise, the graphics are due to the programmer's labor!!

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#17]
yep, I like it :)

I likes the Depeche Mode 'Sun and the Rainfall' soundtrack too ;) Is it a mod (soundtracker) file, what did you use to write it?

Wiebo(Posted 2012) [#18]
Amanda,

He is using the same module I used for my vector games. Look at post #4.

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#19]
He is using the same module I used for my vector games. Look at post #4.

People reference this module, but through searching on the forums back when post #4 was made, all links encountered for the module are dead. Still awesome results, though.