SpaceCrackers!

Community Forums/Showcase/SpaceCrackers!

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]

Download (Mac): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/74068453/SpaceCrackers.zip
Download (Win): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56193888/SpaceCrackers.zip
I did not make nor do i own these images. I downloaded them for free here: Space Sprites
This is far from being complete, but I wanted to go ahead and let everyone see how it is going so far. Please comment! :)

Last edited 2012

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#2]
it looks like something someone would put together 5 minutes.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hi, Jesse!

I was thinking about redoing the collisions with some 2d physics. Do you or anyone else know of a good *capable* 2d physics module?

It was actually put together in about ten. :)

Last edited 2012

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#4]
Lol. That would probably take a couple of hours to do.

2d Modules for Blitzmax.
there is this:
http://farseerphysics.codeplex.com/

and Brucey's:
chipmunk
box2d

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thanks. I will start reading the documentation for the "chipmunk" and the other two. :D

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#6]

I was thinking about redoing the collisions with some 2d physics.

Why use physics collisions for a game like this? It will be slower.

col(Posted 2012) [#7]
Yeah,
Nice one. Got to level 30 by just holding down the space bar while waiting for a download :P

The download took 55 seconds.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#8]
It is supposed to get faster each level and then eventually slow down, but it doesn't want to slow down. :(
Here is a mac version without the speed boost: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/74068453/new/SpaceCrackers.zip

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#9]
I also don't think using a physics engine for this game is a good idea.
what you should do is learn Trigonometry and vector math. it will help you a lot for a game like yours and other types.
Sin, Cos, Tan and Vectors are best friends of a game programmer.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#10]
i will try to learn those things again. I thought physics would have been a good idea for the missiles because it would look better when they would fall back down. i think this can be done in BlitzMax without a physics engine now that I think about it.

Matty(Posted 2012) [#11]
A little basic math is easier and more fun to implement than importing an entire physics library just for a few simple effects....

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#12]

A little basic math is easier and more fun to implement than importing an entire physics library just for a few simple effects....

Agreed.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#13]
Please comment! :)
OK...

If this was somebody's first dabble with Blitz then I probably wouldn't even comment. It's horrible. But you've been here years and you should be better than this by now.

First off, the big thing at the top has a solid black square around it. You could fix that in 30 seconds if you had a mind to.

Second, there is absolutely no gameplay whatsoever. I appreciate that it might be a work-in-progress but you should never EVER show something at this stage. There were no instructions or anything so I just held down the spacebar until it said "End of Level: 1" (which wasn't even horizontally centered). I figured level 2 would then start but instead, "End of Level: 2". This continued right the way up to level 14 before I had any more involvement. Level 14 was just the same ship whizzing across the top of the screen, and at that point, I closed it and wrote this.

Physics? Forget it. The least of the problems here, is lack of physics.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#14]
It is so horrible and no wonder it took 10 mins to make them

1)...You need sort the guns which will be middle of player spaceship to make look better

2) - Scrolling Background(that go down) making your spaceship look like going up

3) Sort out your player and Enemys Sprites(using setmaskcolor should do the trick I think)

4) Make the Enemys Sprites smaller unless if you going make end of levels boss with big sprites

5) how about making Enemys going left and right like space invaders

GOOD LUCK

Last edited 2012