Rameses low poly editor

Community Forums/Showcase/Rameses low poly editor

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#1]
I thought I'd move from the programming to here so people can add their thoughts.

This is the low poly editor I am working on.
It is currently vertex coloured (not image mapped), openGL 3d display, custom ui

Feel free to add suggestions, etc :)

matibee(Posted 2012) [#2]
Feel free to add suggestions, etc :)

Just one.... add a download link! :D

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#3]
This looks functional. I am curious to see if it is easy to create a low polys model with your program.

Some suggestions :
->Add the possibility to have the same lighting than in Blitz3d (light color, light range, light position, light orientation)
->Add the possibility to create/move a vertex either freely or on a grid (each 1unit, each 0.1 unit, each 0.01 unit, each 0.001 unit)
->Add the possibility to export a custom format with several groups of vertex colors so that it is possible to import the mesh in Blitz3d and to change the color of some vertices depending on their group.

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#4]
I'm just dealing with group objects at the moment and will release something soon so you can play.

It's BlitzMax - so I have no experience with blitz3d, file formats, etc, So...

Also working on shaders, got the base code all sorted :) (I wanted real-time shadows) hehe

Last edited 2012

Ian Thompson(Posted 2012) [#5]
I think this looks great, it's not the easiest type of program to write.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2012) [#6]
Damn double post, website freezes for about 10 secs after you press post!

Last edited 2012

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#7]
Looking forward to it to have go on it :)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#8]
Looking forward to it to have go on it :)

sorry for the double post :(

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
add a download link

+1 ;)

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#10]
arg! (micro rant)
Each view (top, front, side) has to be handled separately.
3d view has to be handled separately and with completely different code as it's OpenGL
OpenGL view and UI like to argue especially when processing user input.

All I wanted was a nice simple 3d editor...

*(Posted 2012) [#11]
Dont give up it looks cool, there is a command in max thst sorts some of this out iirc its something to do with shared contexts opengl dont like it so you have to use this command to smooth its ruffled feathers

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#12]
I'll check it out - thanks :)

I think the issue is with my UI code - it's a big beast that has got GL grafted into it. Got to be careful as there are other programs that depend on it

Cracked it - who missed out a setgraphics pointing to the gl display? I did :)

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#13]
Holy Axis Batman!

Just Fought with the euler dragons and quaternion imps!

I've been trying to implement grouping of object each with their own rotate/scale/transform. First it was software vs gl. Then I hit the gimble lock dragon. After that it was the Quaternion imps which meant researching and ditching my code.

It worked, only the software did one thing and gl did something else, so... I had to rewrite some of the vertex to run on matrix, then get all of them to run on the same (but different) code. and now...

It works :) Yay!!

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#14]
Just working on the file browsers and some other ui bits before I release something soonish :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#15]
Lordy, Who would have thought that subdivision would get so convoluted?

OK, I'm just writing the load/save routines so something should appear for testing beginning of next week :)

It will be interesting to see what people make of it, especially as there is no help file as such - but every gui item has a good help description of its functions, plus I updated lots of the icons as well + nice main icon.

Also been adding lots of nice trackpad and multi-gesture stuff as well as proper lion full-screen support (Ctrl+cmd+f or use the menu)

And off to the land of file IO we go...

Corum(Posted 2012) [#16]
/me can't wait to hit a download link as soon as it shows up! :-)

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#17]
here's the download link for you:
http://www.visualjockey.com/demos/Rameses.app.zip

it's osx only - let me know how you get on with it, also any suggestions, etc.

Also feedback on ui would be great too ;)

Corum(Posted 2012) [#18]
Woohoo! :)
Tonight I'm going to download it, and during this wednesday train travel, I'll give it a go. :-)
Thanks for sharing.

Corum(Posted 2012) [#19]
I had a test drive with your editor.
I'm using an old Macbook with Core2Duo, 4GB of ram and Snow Leopard.
Your editor opens but the user interface is only partially displayed, preventing me from doing anything at all.
I clicked around, and got to open the file selection gui. I could not exit from there without opening a file, which I hadn't.
These are the problems of every non-standard gui, I presume.
I hadn't the chance to unleash the potential of your editor. A bit disappointed. :)
But please don't give up and keep up the good work.

AdamStrange(Posted 2012) [#20]
when you say partially displayed ui, which bits are displayed?

(I havent tested it on snow leopard, so can't say if it works or not - developed under lion/mountain lion)

I'm still working on it, deep into OpenGL at the moment dealing with lights and other things

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#21]
Keep going man and old saying goes "Those will wait, good things will come" :)

Ringo(Posted 2012) [#22]
Any chance of a windows version coming out.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#23]
Same above :) I would love try your 3D Modeling software :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#24]
Your editor opens but the user interface is only partially displayed, preventing me from doing anything at all.

Yep, confirmed and sorted :) was due to default screen resolutions, retina issues and me thinking that MBP screen resolutions were higher. I've got it fixed now

I clicked around, and got to open the file selection gui. I could not exit from there without opening a file, which I hadn't.
These are the problems of every non-standard gui, I presume.

Although an older version, The UI is very non-standard. The Top-Right icons are the heart of Rameses they are (Currently) displayed as:
load, Save, Object, ObjectList, ?, ?
The Last 2 are now set at bones and texture mapping

These 6 icons switch the program modes and you can do this at any time. E.G. if you are in the load mode, you can click to save, or object at any time.
I've added the basic object list to both the load and save UI so you can see when objects have been loaded, or which object you are saving.

The three core modifiers (move, scale and rotate) have been duplicated on the top bar.
Flip Normals is also available in object list mode along with assign colour, modify colour, and assign texture mapping (which has also been added to the colour dialog)
Bones and skeleton are prototypes and not functioning, as is the particle cloud tools

This brings the Version to 1.09 and can be downloaded here:
http://www.visualjockey.com/demos/Rameses.app.zip

This is Mac OSX only

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#25]
Update news...
Currently working on base shaders. These work in conjunction with the vertex colour and (if any is present) textures. So you can actually have lots of different textures without any associated bitmaps!

Some shaders are UV based, so you will need to apply the desired UV (which is simple).
Some are flat based - they will get their internal coordinates from the xz (flat) plane. These are made for things like water, fluid, oil.

Each shader has a fade parameter which fades from the shader created colour to the initial input colour. The bump mapping that the shader creates is preserved, so you can use shaders to affect just bump normals preserving the input diffuse colour.

Some are also animated (water, oil, noise)

Each shader has three different inputs (faders that go from 0 to 100) allowing for very flexible effects.

The current list of shaders is:
"UV Default"
"Flat Water (animated)"
"UV Checker"
"Velvet"
"Flat Oil (animated)"
"UV Caustic (animated)"
"UV Lava (animated)"
"UV Distress"
"UV Metal"
"UV Fabric"
"UV Marble"
"UV Diagonals"
"UV Damage"
"UV Glow"
"Cloth"
"UV Ripple (animated)"
"Celular"

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#26]
Hi, still looking for a low poly editor that can do buildings as quick and easy as Google Sketchup, but then actually low poly indeed(cos in it's current form is bit sloppy).

Would be a killer application if you could make it into something like that(you could earn yourself a decent living).

If unfamiliar with the usage then please check out these vids:

Workings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfH_cyXa1o
http://www.sketchup.com/learn/videos?playlist=58

To see what can be done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3_3K4hVLCc

Download link:
http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make

Of course I was using a different version that was able to export to 3ds, not sure if this new version can do that.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#27]
Sketchup is a wonderful creation - I've come across it before.

Rameses is a different creature in that it doesn't hide anything from you. A vertex is a vertex, face is a face. Sketchup hide all this complexity from you.

But... It doesn't mean you couldn't do all that - you just need a different thought process, thats all

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#28]
@ Rick
I've implemented a very basic .obj import. what exports would you prefer?