Enigma revisited

Community Forums/Showcase/Enigma revisited

Krischan(Posted 2012) [#1]
Just enjoy the show - I tried something with miniB3D and it became a whole demo at last.

Download: Enigma revisited (3.7MB Executable)

You can download the music at www.moonove.com (go to Release > Demovibes). If you don't know the original demo then watch this:

Damn! This is already 20 YEARS AGO!

Last edited 2012

mv333(Posted 2012) [#2]
How come you left out the reflection?

Taron(Posted 2012) [#3]
Holy crap... I remember it, when it was brand new and was such a stunner. I feel like a grandfather now... lol.

Cute revisitation there, hehehe, but, yeah, the "raytraced" reflections where actually the kicker of it, aside from the rendered fractal, of course. But I like what you've done to the logo for sure, hehehe... very stylish! ;)

Thanks for the eery moment of nostalgia, of course! That'll stick with me for a moment.

Krischan(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thanks, grandfathers! Yes it's been quite a while since this cool demo appeared. I still remember sitting in front of my Amiga 500 watching the 3D cube spinning around and around and I had absolutely no clue how they did it - today this is so easy in Blitz.

For the reflection I need CreateMirror which isn't available in miniB3D and I couldn't find a -simple- replacement for that so I left it out. I forgot - if you're interested in the "source" - well it's very short - and media get it here: Download (2.9MB ZIP). In general it's only a simple demo about sinus and cosinus, even the background color changes use them :-D

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#5]
Well Done Krischan :)

You know begin Starfield effect is great as I can do 2D Starfield going left and right or up and down.

I cant do 3D Starfield Alien Breed effect(that you see in Alien Breed Title Screen!) thought :(

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2012) [#6]
I remember that one! I got a whole crap load of demo disks for a birthday once. THOSE were the days. Wasn't that scene raytraced originally or something?

Krischan(Posted 2012) [#7]
According to the original demo scroller it showed the result of a raytracer called "Perfect View" by Azatoth. Remember, this demo is from 1991 and they are talking about Shadows, Reflection, Refraction, Phong Shading, Texture Mapping. Back in these days I didn't knew about all this stuff. Today, I think this has been precalculated as a packed lowres animation sequence but it is still stunning how they put all of this on a single 880KB floppy disk together with the cool music. I still love watching this old demo, yeah.