cOrrOda - shmup

Community Forums/Showcase/cOrrOda - shmup

Taron(Posted 2012) [#1]
I just dug up my old BlitzMax experiments and remembered my last set of them, writing a sorting tree and a wild procedural image creator all rolled into a little shooter I called "cOrrOda".

Here are some snapshots, but they don't make great stills, I think.

corroda_v0.2.exe

The navigation is a bit old-school, but I like this stuff.
ASDW...
W - move forward
S - move backward
A - strafe left
D - strafe right

Mouse controls direction for movement and fire.

Collect tokens before the nasty corroda nest around them. You can always shoot them off and collect it then, but they'll grow back!

Your shot improves with amounts of tokens collected, but gets damaged quickly back down.

Don't get stuck in the corroda.. it'll cost'cha!

Well, it's just been a little fun experiment and much less about the game than about the routines inside. On my machine it's blazing, but I can imagine that older machines will have a hard time with it.

Remember, all sounds and gfx (except font) are generated, which keeps the exe quite tiny.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#2]
Hey this is really cool shooter, taron! I like how the images are procedurally generated! Really tough to play too. At first i thought the wasd controls were standard but didn't realize they were a bit different! It took a while but i finally got use to them, but did found myself mostly pressing the w key and navigating with the mouse :).

The game has a very "microscopic" feel to it...as if i'm looking through a microscope and firing away a bacteria or something, even though its the game is based corrosion :)! I somehow managed to get to wave 16 before i was overtaken by corrosison, but ironically - I pressed the space bar hoping for a bomb type weapon (ala Tevada Trigger) to save myself but ended up getting nailed with corrosion all over HA :)!!

Plays great on my machine, but then again i'm running a little beast here :).

Taron(Posted 2012) [#3]
WAHAHAHA, Woooops, I forgot to mention the space key, haha. I did mention it was experimental, right? So the space key was for testing out my binary tree (actually rather quad tree), haha. Totally forgot about that... sorry.

Hmmmm...a bomb...release detergent, hahaha, yeah, I can try that. Great idea! Thanks! 8)

The cool thing about this navigation is, that it can turn this game into almost a racing game with sliding from token to token, picking perfect anchor positions for the mouse to rotate through them.

Well, yes, it's absolutely microscopic. Corrosion fantasy, of course, but imagined on such scale. That makes it also a bit more acceptable, that the ship is so simple without details. But that's the beauty of little definition; imagination wanted! And you absolutely have it anyway! 8)))

THANKS again, I'm thrilled you gave it a try! I'm thinking I might continue with it at some point. It's weird but so wide open.

And, yes, your machine is a little beasty. Cool! 8}

Last edited 2012

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#4]
Yah the space key did give me quite a surprise! Oh yeah, release detergent to wipe out all those nasty corrosions! But make it really bubbly with slowly disintegrating suds and stuff :). And what to do with all those money gained :)?? Buy stronger anti-corrosive weaponary of course :)!

Yah i'd say you definitely have lots of room to expand on this one :)!

Taron(Posted 2012) [#5]
Maybe buy a better microscope, hahahahaha....

This may well be more fun to talk about than actually going at it again, pfffhehe. :oP