Fly DC3

Community Forums/Showcase/Fly DC3

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#1]

Hello all…

Just in case any of you have a thing for flight sims like I do, I thought I’d put up a couple of screenshots...

I’m attempting a seat-of-the-pants style flight sim- going more for playability than hyper-reality- (in the spirit of minecraft)- randomly generated exaggerated worlds with tricky runways, bush pilot type missions – earning cash to keep an old DC3 flying.

Everything is scaled so that a flight from take off to landing takes just a few minutes, without a lot of straight-flight down time (lots of deadly squalls to avoid)

I’d much appreciate any feedback with suggestions, compatibility problems etc. so far... so I’d like to put something up for download if anyone wants to take 'er for a spin. Any recommendations on the best way to set up a download?- (probably around 50Mb)

Thanks very much to all who’ve helped me get it this far!- Steve

ervin(Posted 2012) [#2]
That looks fabulous - I'd like to give it a try.

As for distributing it, do you have a Dropbox account?

Last edited 2012

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thanks-I do now, the free 2 Gb is plenty

I'm just going to add some graphics options to give it a better chance of running- but othwerwise it's still going to have rough edges, I'll post back here in a few days...

MadJack(Posted 2012) [#4]
I'd be keen to give this a whirl as well.

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#5]
Can anybody recommend a convenient/free installer I can use to package this? Thanks...

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#6]
Use 7-Zip.

Create a ZIP of your game installation folder so that people can extract wherever they want. You can make it a Self-Extracting archive if you want the automation.

This is a minimalistic approach [no registry tampering etc.] that you should prefer; it lets people install and delete your game with absolutely no residue left (something that cannot be said of all install shells).

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#7]
excuse my ignorance... by 'installation folder' do you mean the main folder which contains all the game files/folders including the .exe?

In which case doesn't that cause security hassles for others downloading & extracting it?

Lava89(Posted 2012) [#8]
This definitely looks great! I love the interior and the bobble hula dancer is a nice touch. Are you able to walk around inside the plane?

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#9]
Thanks- I need to make her bobble at some point!

You can't walk around but it is a 3D cockpit- so you can look around- out the side windows, and the camera reacts to the movement of the plane/turbulence etc.

Lava89(Posted 2012) [#10]
Oh ok, nice! Yeah walking around would be sweet.

I would recommend dropbox and 7-zip too. It works great for posting games and I get a good speed when I download stuff to test it out.

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#11]
excuse my ignorance... by 'installation folder' do you mean the main folder which contains all the game files/folders including the .exe?

In which case doesn't that cause security hassles for others downloading & extracting it?

Precisely.
It's the folder containing all the data necessary to run the game (including the binary), organized as sub-directories.
This way it's easy to unpack as it is to delete later on.

I'm not familiar with the security issues you're talking about. Could you elaborate?

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#12]
I thought that the .exe files got blocked to prevent viruses etc. but maybe that's just when emailing. It seems to work fine with others' dowloads here, so I'll get it going. Thanks

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#13]
Hey Slomas,

I have to admit that I was drooling at the screenshots. You have invested quite a lot of work and design into that - this one can go far. I am yet to test it myself but from I can see, this is a joy for flight sim people.

Keep it up

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#14]
Encouragement like that really helps a lot!

It's been a labor of love, at the expense of a lot of sleep and marital harmony! So I'd love nothing more than if other flight sim fans could get something out of this...

I'll have something testable by the middle of next week, so I can get some valuable feedback from all the folks here before completion.

Here's a little vid you can check out meanwhile if you like... mostly from earlier stages of development

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbO-gYhdg4&feature=youtu.be

ervin(Posted 2012) [#15]
I hear you bro! I reckon several of us understand the bit about the loss of sleep and marital harmony!
:o)

Anyway, the video looks excellent. I'm really looking forward to giving this a test flight! The zoom-out from your plane to a long distance shot is very impressive (from around the 8 second mark).

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#16]
Yes so harmony takes priority today, it's all mowing, trimming and deck fixing
messing with a real two stroke 1hp engine is not nearly as fun as virtual
14-cyl. 1,200 hp radial piston ones... but that's life!

thanks- I'm hoping it will not disappoint! I should have something ready to test this Wednesday.

Foppy(Posted 2012) [#17]
Wow, nice video!

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#18]
I apologize for not uploading the flight sim as promised - I've had a bit of a situation to deal with this week

It is playable as is, but there are still a couple of features I'd like to get working properly first which will require a free day or two, so it's going to have to wait till next week unfortunately- Steve

ervin(Posted 2012) [#19]
No need to apologise.
It's your project - only release it when you are ready.
:o)

Lava89(Posted 2012) [#20]
Yeah, I too can wait for a proper release. Just as long as I do get to play it eventually :D

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#21]
Getting close...

I'm stuck right now on a problem I posted in Blitz 3D programming;

changing the graphics options/resolution works fine from the IDE, but causes 'memory access error' in the .exe version, no matter where the folder is installed seemingly....

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2012) [#22]
impressive gfx.