Legends of Solitaire: The Lost Cards

Community Forums/Showcase/Legends of Solitaire: The Lost Cards

therevills(Posted 2012) [#1]
We are pleased to announce that our latest game has been released on Big Fish Games: Legends of Solitaire: The Lost Cards

And its doing pretty well over there too, its currently Number 10 in the Top 100.

Available for PC and Mac.

(Yes, its a Solitaire game again, but it helps pay the bills :P)

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#2]
Looks very nice! :D
Is very strange that there are more solitaire games than any other genre on the blitz site. :(

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#3]
People buy them and that's the reason you make games and sell them (if you want to make money) :)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#4]
I wish I could make something like that. :(

Aymes(Posted 2012) [#5]
Game looks awesome! I'll try it out when I get home.

Also special congrats for getting into the top 10 on BFG, that's brilliant :) Hope it does really well for you.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#6]
Looks very nice - congrats. Now pay those bills and something new would be good lol.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#7]
I will let the wife know tonight and I am sure she will pick it up!

Was this written in Monkey? Exported with MonkeyMax?

Wiebo(Posted 2012) [#8]
Sollitaire and lost cards? Sounds like unbeatable to me.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#9]
Wow looks excellent! And no.10 too, congrats, should do very well for you.

Thought I'd better let you know I've had a game very similar to this designed on paper for quite a while and I'm going to be making it with another Blitzer, so please don't be shocked when you see it come out. Meanwhile, GOGOGO! :-)

Framework game? Or Monkey? [EDIT] Just played it and can see it's a framework game. Anyway, great job!

Last edited 2012

therevills(Posted 2012) [#10]
Thanks guys :)

Yep, this is a pure BlitzMax game using a modified/updated version of the Grey Alien Framework (one of the best 30 quid I ever spent ;))

so please don't be shocked when you see it come out

Well I know at least one other "Blitzer" who's doing a game designed like this too... more the merrier, eh!? :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#11]
Probably the same blitzer I'm working with...maybe...(if it's got a similar theme)

anawiki(Posted 2012) [#12]
While I know Jake is speaking about me, I don't know about therevills.

Congrats on your game success. I haven't played that many levels, but the name and meta game sound very very similar to Avalon Legends Solitaire. I don't blame you if you borrowed ideas from us, since we all borrow from each other :D

And I warmly welcome you in the club of "2 stars" rated games by GameZebo. It's great to get 2 stars just for being "solitaire game" or in case of Arizona Rose (our game) for being picross game (and not hidden object puzzle adventure).

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#13]
Wow gamezebo is being really mean recently!

GfK(Posted 2012) [#14]
Yeah i saw, for me it harks back to the bitchy review styles of the likes of Amiga Power, where it was the reviewers objectve to detest everything. Gamezebo as i recall branded my game Crime Solitaire as 'completely ridiculous', but the sales speak for themselves so I don't much care what they think.

col(Posted 2012) [#15]
Congrats for getting this released!

I'm sure it will do well. It does look very nice indeed!

Where DO you guys get your graphics?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#16]
While I know Jake is speaking about me, I don't know about therevills.

Nope, not talking about you Anawiki :)

Congrats on your game success.

but the name .... Avalon Legends Solitaire.

I actually thought your game was just called Avalon Solitaire - LOL!

meta game sound

Well its based off Golf Solitaire so of course its going to be very similar ;)

It took me awhile to decide what theme I wanted to do, and I finally decided after watching The Lord of the Rings :D

I warmly welcome you in the club of "2 stars" rated games by GameZebo

Haha - LOL! I really don't read reviews from "reviewer", I'm more interested in the user's comments.

Where DO you guys get your graphics?

Geoff Hassing did most of the graphics for LoS: http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?28035-Cartoonist-somewhat-new-to-gaming-looking-for-gigs

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#17]
Nope, not talking about you Anawiki :)
Maybe me, then? :)

I just bought this from BFG. Not a big gamer, myself, but my missus will play it.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#18]
Maybe me, then?

Maybe, just maybe ;)

I just bought this from BFG. Not a big gamer, myself, but my missus will play it.

Cheers Dave :)

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#19]
Forgot to say congratulations!

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#20]
therevills, is this going to be on the mac app store?

WERDNA(Posted 2012) [#21]
Congrats therevills!

Very solid looking game :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#22]
Hmm it wouldn't surprise me if GfK made another one based on the fact Crime Solitaire was successful, and now with The Lost Cards I can imagine therevills making another. The real question is why I didn't make one since Fairway Solitaire in 2007? Well it seems like we are all in race then to make another. See you at the finish line.

Last edited 2012

anawiki(Posted 2012) [#23]
therevills: So you don't have to "collect" lost cards in your game? Is that just subtitle? That was my reference when I said your meta game is similar to ALS, since in our game you need to "collect" Deck of the Nature (magic cards) through all the levels, and magic cards replace one by one standard cards.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#24]
Hmm it wouldn't surprise me if GfK made another one based on the fact Crime Solitaire was successful
No, I am! I'm doing an idea that I had since before Magicville (so, five years ago) but I wanted to do magic and crime-themed games first (Magicville was almost a crime-based match three if not for a toss-of-a-coin decision going in favour of magic).

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#25]
My wife bought it last night and played for a good while. She liked it! She was a huge Fairway fan and played Avalon too.

I said we have to support my fellow Blitzer. All the work on Diddy is more than worth it alone!

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#26]
Glad to hear it Why0Why. I think if I didn't make Fairway Solitaire, and my early match-3 games back in 2006, there wouldn't be so many similar titles made by other Blitzers. I'm glad to have perhaps been a positive influence to some people and helped them find success in casual games and I'm looking forward to see what will be made next.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#27]
@therevills up to no.9 today, well done! Hope it goes higher too and you many not need to work for a year ;-p Damn if only I'd charged a % of revenue for my framework haha. Did you know that BFG removed "my" Fairway Solitaire game in April for internal reasons? I was sad about that especially as it had almost hit a significant milestone in terms of sales.

Last edited 2012

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#28]
Me and my Dad love Fairway fan as it was best card game ever and I nearly finish it until I accidently delete the files and I cant get it back :(

GOOD Fun Card game and It is pleasing to see someone like therevills or GFK making Cool Card games in Blitz Max

Last edited 2012

therevills(Posted 2012) [#29]
@Why0Why - Thanks for the support :)

@Grey - As I said, GAF was one of the best 30 quid I ever spent :P

That's really strange and sucky that they removed "Fairway Solitaire", and I just went to your site to click on the link for "Fairway Solitaire" and it takes me to "Fairway" (FS2)...

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#30]
My wife and I were discussing the card games tonight and she said nothing can beat Fairway :) It definitely spawned a genre. John Cutter is also a design genius so that doesn't hurt either.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#31]
and I just went to your site to click on the link for "Fairway Solitaire" and it takes me to "Fairway" (FS2)...
Yep. Annoying. There's no public version that can be played now :-(

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#32]
They shouldn't have right to remove your game because end of the day...it is Your game that you have made!

I going try your game and see if I like it :)

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#33]
Very Enjoyable game, like the music and also sound effect when slash with swords

Good game but it get you very hooked on that game thought! :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#34]
@hotshot2005: They hired me to make it so it's their game which means they can do what they want unfortunately.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#35]
Still at #10 in the PC Top 100 (although we did get to #9 for a day), and we are up to #8 on the Mac Top 100 \o/

Last edited 2012

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#36]
Good going! I think it's hard for *any* non-HOG/Adventure to get higher than no.9/10 to be honest except for the occasional time management game. Match-3s never make it in the top 10 any more.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2012) [#37]
Grey what would be the ramifications of you creating your own independent `fairway-like` game, using your own code/visuals?

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#38]
I can totally do that. I wasn't allowed for a certain period of time after coding Fairway but that was a long time ago. Hopefully BFG wouldn't be funny about promoting it. I'd have to code it from scratch and not use any of the old code, but that's fine. Anyway, don't want to hijack therevills thread too much.

Last edited 2012

therevills(Posted 2012) [#39]
LOL! C'mon now... who posted the Blitz Research Community News link???

Thanks to who ever did it, I've been meaning to do it, but just been too busy :P

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#40]
Lol...I was like why did he wait so long? And then it turns out you didn't even do it! That is funny!

simonh(Posted 2012) [#41]
I post news stories on behalf of people who don't get around to doing them :)

GfK(Posted 2012) [#42]
I have the forum page bookmarked, so I forget the news page exists unless somebody mentions it.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#43]
Cheers Si :)

Looks like our Top 10 (in the Top 100) run has come to an end, it was fun while it lasted. We peaked at #9 in the PC Top 100 and #8 in the Mac Top 100.

Last edited 2012

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#44]
So it freefalls that fast? Do sales pretty much die at that point?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#45]
Oops, I added too many zeros... I've edited the previous post. We are currently at #14 in PC and #15 in Mac.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#46]
That's good. I was thinking: "Man, you have to hit a lick quick if it drops out that fast!"

anawiki(Posted 2012) [#47]
Surely sales for initial period are the highest, but it doesn't mean, that they die completely after some time. At least not for those better games. Even after a year since release I see some nice royalties from Avalon Legends Solitaire.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#48]
Even after a year since release I see some nice royalties from Avalon Legends Solitaire.
Same with Crime Solitaire. Sales for the last few months have been fairly level (only 4.3% difference between last month and the previous one) so hopefully it'll continue like that.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#49]
Yep I've found that all my games hit a steady level and stay like that for years, which is cool

mkg(Posted 2012) [#50]
Just played the demo. Not really my kind of game but very nicely done. Hope it continues being a success for you.

Russell(Posted 2012) [#51]
Grey Alien: I understand that your framework is no longer available. Do you know where I can find something similar, by you or someone else? It seems many people have benefited greatly from not having to start 'from the ground up'.

Thanks!
Russell

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#52]
Playniax has a nice framework called Ignition for Max.

www.playniax.com

therevills(Posted 2012) [#53]
Also check outs Matt's framework:
http://www.matibee.co.uk/wpsite/code/mbm-framework/

And DWLabs:
http://code.google.com/p/dwlab/

Both are free.

And On topic... LoS has just dropped out of the Top 50, so cant wait to see the monthly report :D

therevills(Posted 2012) [#54]
After 10 weeks in BFG's Top 100 we have finally dropped out of it :(

But on happier note, LoS has been released on GameHouse and MacGameStore:

http://www.gamehouse.com/download-games/the-legends-of-solitaire-the-lost-cards

http://www.macgamestore.com/product/2421/Legends-of-Solitaire/

And the royality report was very nice ;)

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#55]
What did you get out of Gamehouse in the end?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#56]
I managed to get their standard normal rate: 30% rate for the first 90 days and then 25% thereafter :)

Also it looks like BFG has delivered it to iWin, ShockWave and Oberon:

http://www.iwin.com/games/legends-of-solitaire-the-lost-cards

http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/legends-solitaire-lost-cards.jsp

http://www.iplay.com/game/LegendsofSolitaire/prod740021/sku720032

:D

Last edited 2012

therevills(Posted 2012) [#57]
Wow! Legends got voted number 3 in the best card games of 2012 for BFG :D

http://www.bigfishgames.com/daily/best-of-2012-pc/

Last edited 2012

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#58]
Nice one Steve! :)

Dabz

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#59]
Impressive achievement :)

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#60]
Do you think it will lead to more downloads?

joncom2000(Posted 2012) [#61]
Well its currently no.6 on the card game chart, not sure it was that high before they posted there best of list. Either way it cant be bad for sales.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#62]
Thanks guys... Yeah hopefully it'll help with Sales too :)

Oh and that was for the PC games, for Mac games it was number 2 :D

http://www.bigfishgames.com/daily/best-of-2012-mac/

Last edited 2012

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#63]
Yeah I saw it on the best game list, congrats!!

GfK(Posted 2013) [#64]
'Grats!