Dying To Live - game jam version (Monkey)

Community Forums/Showcase/Dying To Live - game jam version (Monkey)

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all, I made Dying To Live at the Full Indie June 2012 48-hour game jam.

Because I was one of the organisers I spent about half the game jam just talking to people. Then on the second evening I began work on the level editor for the game and ran in to trouble loading and saving files in Monday, so I stayed up coding until 5am until that was sorted. Then next (and final day) I spent about 5 hours putting this small 4-level game together with the help of an artist, Ola Rogula (www.dolldivine.com)

I had a GREAT time using monkey. I'm really loving it. Since the jam I began updating my mini-game framework and tweaked the game a little bit but it's still essentially the same as the game jam version.

I may spend more time improving this with more mechanics that I didn't get time to implement and then release it on some Flash portals, we'll see.

Anyway, have a play!

[EDIT]OK I've now made an extended version with lava, more levels, fixes:
http://www.greyaliengames.pjio.com/flash/dyingtolive/index.php

Original 4 level game jam version:
http://www.greyaliengames.pjio.com/flash/dyingtolive_gamejam/index.php

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
Interesting game mechanic there Jake... to compete the levels you have to actually die in them ;)

shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#3]
Nice one. I have actually never seen a game using death as building blocks.
Great idea :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thanks! I've added some more content tonight and hopefully will add more in the next few weeks and release a bigger version.

simonh(Posted 2012) [#5]
Yes, very clever idea. Good work!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#6]
Interesting idea and enjoyed completing the levels. :)

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#7]
I like the concept :)! The purposeful use of death in order to complete the stage :).

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#8]
Thanks all! The concept is well received and I'm pleased with how the platforming side turned out as I haven't made a proper platformer since 2005.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#9]

I'm pleased with how the platforming side turned out as I haven't made a proper platformer since 2005.

I like platformers :)

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#10]
Nice idea! Congrats on the game :)

But I found a bug: I got stuck on level 4, so I hit reset... and couldn't move anymore (the bunny was stuck at the start door)

Regular K(Posted 2012) [#11]
Hehe, clever little game.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2012) [#12]
Yeah this is a cool original concept. With some more time spent on this I think you could have a sellable game with the kind of popularity of VVVVVVVV.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#13]
Thanks for the bug report Slotman. I've made 6 levels now and made some of the first ones a bit easier and fixed a collision bug. I'll upload soon.

I'd love to spend lots more time on it now but I'm really supposed to be working on another game, so this'll have to be a little hobby for me for now.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#14]
OK new extended version is here: http://www.greyaliengames.pjio.com/flash/dyingtolive/index.php

therevills(Posted 2012) [#15]
Cool!

To make it more challenging you could make it so that the player has only a limited number of deaths per level so they then have to plan out their deaths to complete the level.

Last edited 2012

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#16]
Yeah I was thinking about stuff like that. There's a lot more I can do if I can find the time. Diddy was partly used to make this too.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#17]
Nice extended version - but it's too easy now.

Grey Alien(Posted 2012) [#18]
True. Problem is I saw people get stuck on the previous version. This one will get harder though.

Aymes(Posted 2012) [#19]
Very clever idea - will give this a good play at lunchtime :D