Coming soon... BMax UIRibbon Interface

Community Forums/Showcase/Coming soon... BMax UIRibbon Interface

col(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hiya all,

Coming soon...

The BMaxUIRibbon interface.

I've sure you've all heard of and seen the Ribbon GUI interfaces. They work well for some applications and not so well for others. There are several available and this is the native interface thats built into Vista/SP2, Win7 and Win8. The ribbon interface code is pretty much complete although the example and pics dont show it due to my lack of a creative talent! There's quite a tool chain involved in authoring the ribbon. Once into BMax its quite straight forward to interact with it, so I'm making an editor to simplify the whole process, and it'll be released as a complete package.

Due to my severe lack of creative talent, I've duplicated a part of the interface thats in the MS wordpad editor, as a basic demonstration, but its capable of so much more. The source of the demo is included - not the Ribbon module however :P

Full features and capabilities of this ribbon can be found Here

BMaxUIRibbon Alpha Demo

Some pics of this demo:-

Last edited 2012

Zeke(Posted 2012) [#2]
Awesome, i want it!

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#3]
Wow this is serious stuff! Let us know when it's ready for mass consumption.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#4]
That's nice! Are youi using any system built-in component or you've developed the whole thing from sractch? It looks very nice!

skn3(Posted 2012) [#5]
Very nice indeed!

Chalky(Posted 2012) [#6]
Me want! Me want!

col(Posted 2012) [#7]
Thanks guys!

All credit for the looks go to Microsoft, including the icons :P

Its the system ribbon that comes with Win7 and its pretty much everywhere in Win8, and was added to Vista/SP2 with the platform update installed, so its Windows only. Its not the Office/Fluent ribbon, but the native one that comes built in to the system. If you look through the MSDN docs for 'UIRibbon Framework' and have a heart-attack at the C++ examples - that'll be the one :D

It has plenty of optional nifty little features and styles that are often overlooked - right clicking any control or the group name allows you to put them up in to the Quick Access Toolbar - the top left of the title-bar basically. Automatic dynamic resizing of the controls as the windows width is resized - there is some degree of control over how that happens too. Adding of categories/headings/icons/checkboxes with major and minor text looks to anything that has a drop down to it :- in-ribbon galleries, drop-down buttons, comboboxes, splitbuttons etc. The old style drop-down list is replaced by a rich drop-down gallery that also has an optional drag handle to resize the drop-down itself during use. Galleries also allow you to Preview what any changes would look like before you commit them.

I'll post more updates soon :-)

Last edited 2012

Zeke(Posted 2012) [#8]
pls, some examples that show how to put custom widgets(gadgets) to ribbon. and paypal link so i can $$$ to you.. :D

JoshK(Posted 2012) [#9]
I'm simultaneously disgusted and intrigued.

Lobby(Posted 2012) [#10]
Are there any news yet? This project looks really nice so I can't wait to download this module ;)

col(Posted 2012) [#11]
Hiya,

I'm writing an editor and making the Ribbon interface code more stable. I've restarted the editor several times, each time rewriting it at a lower and lower level to get it working exactly how I wanted. The editor is being made as a code editing MaxGui gadget with similar features, functionality and feel that MS Visual Studio code editor has ( I hope they haven't patented the 'feel' yet, lol ).

General news is that it's still very much an active on going project and not forgotten :-)

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#12]
That is very cool. )