Objecty - maxgui timeline gadget test

Community Forums/Showcase/Objecty - maxgui timeline gadget test

skn3(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hey hey,

I have been working on a timeline gadget for maxgui and I would like to get some feedback. The timeline will be for the keyframe animation aspect of Objecty.

http://www.skn3.com/junk/objecty/junk/timeline.zip

The gadget runs in a gl or dx canvas and is cross platform. Currently the following features are coded:
- resizing the column on the left
- moving the time scrubber (blue at top)
- moving the onion skin scrubbers (red and green at top)
- multiple tracks with keys
- selecting key frames via clicks
- selecting key frames via selection rect
- moving key frames
- flingable canvas pan (right click drag)

Its nowhere near finished but Id like to get feedback on its general feel. What would you improve and what needs tweaking?

Thanks

Derron(Posted 2012) [#2]
I don't know wether it is planned...
- what about resizing the whole content - I see there is enough place between the "X"/labels and the top/bottom part of the container-rects.
I ask this because I sometimes wish to get a better overview of the layout of key frames.

- add the same gradient-style to the scrubbers (they look remind me to the codeblocks-icon :D)

- add font-smoothing to the "button"-labels (saves place with correct kerning

- more text fits into the spot of the label-box)

- why is the bar of each row (i thought col[o]umns are from ground to top not left to right) stopping before "30" - are they having a duration of 29,7 frames like in cinematics? - think it should snap to integers.

- maybe provide a selectbox only containing parent-elements - so you can work on them in more detail (this is only needed for really complex objects with dozens of items/arms/legs/styles)

For additional ideas - check the keyframe editor of blender as they provide some nifty things.

bye
Ron

skn3(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hey,

Wow thanks very useful feedback! I will definitely implement some of these immediately and put the rest on the todo list :D

- why is the bar of each row (i thought col[o]umns are from ground to top not left to right) stopping before "30" - are they having a duration of 29,7 frames like in cinematics? - think it should snap to integers.

So you reckon the keys should overlap instead of the bar? I will give this a try today :)

jsp(Posted 2012) [#4]
Nice gadget!

One thing I found a bit confusing is the scrolling. When dragging it could happen to be completely out of the normal view. Wouldn't it be better to stop top left and don't scroll further than to the right and bottom as the items in the timeline are present?

skn3(Posted 2012) [#5]
Hey jsp,

Thanks!

Ah yeah ok I'll make it snap back into position once you let go. You can currently pick it up and fling it if that kind of thing floats your boat haha!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2012) [#6]
good looking gadget

skn3(Posted 2012) [#7]
Thanks! I just spent two days ripping out the native scroll bars from my "flingable canvas base class" (which have been in there for 6months) and making a module to replicate/render native looking scroll bars on a canvas! Crazy probably, but had to be done to keep all rendering within 1 canvas... Instead on 1 for gutter, 1 for ruler and 1 for tracks area!

It was a pain to get right though!

Last edited 2012