Smart Image + Smart DBO Available Now!

Community Forums/Showcase/Smart Image + Smart DBO Available Now!

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]

Smart Image is an image conversion utility with the ability to import and then export images to many different formats. Supported images are Mac icons, Windows icons, Bitmaps, Windows cursors and more! The best part is that with Smart Image, you don't need to scale your image for different icon sizes as everything is handled behind the scenes and images are saved as actual size with less effort and no hassle. With this great application, creating icons, cursors and image conversions has never been as simple, effective or as easy!

Smart DBO is a conversion utility for Dark Basic and DarkGDK programmers (also works with the BlitzGDK module). Smart DBO supports importing of DBO, X, and 3DS Mesh file formats and will convert them to DBO (Dark Basic Object) format with the click of a button! There is more, Smart DBO also provides a preview window to preview your objects before and after converting them. Smart DBO supports animated meshes and textured meshes too! You may turn and rotate the object as you wish before and after converting it. With this wonderful application, you can convert your rigged or static models for your DarkBASIC games with ease. The mesh in the image above is the Mic.3DS file from MDickie's Booking Encore.

Products Page: http://www.captainwicker.com/products.htm
All orders securely processed by BMTmicro. Kudos to GfK for that suggestion! ;)

Last edited 2012

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#2]
Smart DBO supports importing of DBO, X, and 3DS Mesh file formats and will convert them to DBO
Why would I want to import a DBO file and convert it to a DBO file? Isn't that a tad redundant?

Derron(Posted 2012) [#3]

Why would I want to import a DBO file and convert it to a DBO file? Isn't that a tad redundant?

Maybe the used code provides: "loading of dbo, x, 3ds" and "saving as dbo" :D.

With this great application, creating icons, cursors and image conversions has never been as simple, effective or as easy!

I won't backpack that...

Come back with clever algorithms in your conversion app - which keep certain details of bigger images when lowering res to 16x16, 32x32 ... (as this is the most common problem for really good icons which are not just for desktop-usage) - and that's not that common for that kind of software.

bye
Ron

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#4]
which are not just for desktop-usage

You can compile the icons into your software or games or use resource hacker to embed them into a blitzbasic exe. :)

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#5]
If you can beat this list -

MilkShape 3D model import/export compatibility

- and beat the price of 35 Euro, I'll buy yours.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#6]
@SystemError51:
I will have to begin working on another product then. SmartDBO is for DarkGDK, Dark Basic Pro or BlitzGDK users only. I'll see what I can do. :)
I can honestly say that *.X and *.DTS will be easy as pie! ;) By the end of this year, I hope to have completed an entire catalog of software. :)
Why would I want to import a DBO file and convert it to a DBO file?

That is for viewing shaded and animated DBO files after they are converted. SmartDBO makes a great animation viewer! :D
which keep certain details of bigger images when lowering res to 16x16, 32x32p

It is recommended to scale images when you create them in PaintShop Pro or whatever it is that you are using. SmartImage is only for converting to different image formats and also supports cursors. :)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#7]
Good luck with this Captain Wicker.

I think though, this will be your first step into the 'real world'.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#8]
Smart Image is now $3.99
Smart DBO is now $5.99

Last edited 2012

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#9]
Price cut after 1st day?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#10]
Price cut after 1st day?

I figured that they were priced too high anyway. :)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#11]
UPDATE: SmartImage's QuickBlitz (*.blim) exporter now supports BlitzPlus/Blitz3D and BlitzMax for slightly faster image loading. Note: file size is slightly increased when exporting to my *.blim format.

BladeRunner(Posted 2012) [#12]
You offer an image manipulation program in the world wide web and advertise it with .bmp-screenshots. Sorry, won't buy ;(

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#13]
BladeRunner, I have a youtube clip of an older version of my app and probably should post another updated one soon then right?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#14]

I figured that they were priced too high anyway. :)

That is an interesting way of looking at it.
In my opinion, the modern world has 3 big issues.

1. There is so much awesome stuff out there for FREE.
2. Even if it is free, people are very busy and might not even have the time to look at it.
3. Even if it is awesome, unless you shove it in people's faces through ads or a big company etc, they might not even know it exists. (eg Tetris)

(4). Listen to your potential customers:- (ie Make your software better)

If you can beat this list - (Milkshape)

Come back with clever algorithms in your conversion app - which keep certain details of bigger images when lowering res to 16x16, 32x32 ... (as this is the most common problem for really good icons which are not just for desktop-usage) - and that's not that common for that kind of software.

You offer an image manipulation program in the world wide web and advertise it with .bmp-screenshots. Sorry, won't buy ;(

To save an .ICO file would make more sense if you could stack several different icon sizes into the file, I think.

You could add some drag and drop support, that would be handy.

I also see no reason not using MaxGUI. You say drag and drop is hard to implement?
In MaxGui it's basically 2 lines of code. (just use the right flag for window creation and then later in your loop catch EVENT_WINDOWACCEPT)

So your program converts an image to an icon without shrinking it? I couldn't really get that from the description or the video.

As it stands, it converts, not to sound nasty, but it not exactly "smart" the way it sounds, and there are better online tools available for this sort of work.

EDIT: Like this, first one on Google: http://www.coolutils.com/online/image-converter/

Putting features that people are asking for and improving your software like people have suggested will help make your product awesome, and these people gave you their advice for free. Add stuff that your customers want, not just what you want to see or find useful yourself.

Last edited 2012

BladeRunner(Posted 2012) [#15]
I think you may have misunderstood me. My problem with the .bmp is this:
.bmp ist large and uncompressed. With a shortview on the site loading i could tell those pics in your first posting are .bmp, as they gegt loaded bottom up.
Even though many people have broadband internet today, some don't, and they will be very annoyed when they have to load 400k to see a picture they could have get in 35k (as a .png, which would be perfect for that).
Now, your program allows me to convert images from one format to another. My first thought as I have seen those images loading was: if this Pal don't even uses his tool to make the gfx he uses for advertisement in the proper format and uses the worst possible instead, what good can this program be? I mean, you ignore the basic elements, and that leaves a bad taste.
I may have to add that I therefor didn't even load the program, and I think many people will do this the same way. If you want people to get their stuff, you have to convince them on first sight.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#16]
Thank you my peers for the creative/constructive criticism. I will continue to work with SmartImage until I get it absolutely the way it should be. I am finished with SmartDBO though for a while and it will most likely remain the same. If I am to create another model export tool, it will have to be done completely in something different. If you purchased SmartImage/SmartDBO before I release any updates for the products, send me an email so that I can verify your purchase information and send you the updated versions of SmartImage.
I don't believe in failure. It is not failure if you enjoyed the process.
~ Oprah Winfrey

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#17]
Can you describe the ".blim" format to us, in terms of compression, file structure, and how it differs (read: makes it better) from JPG and PNG? Will you also release the BlitzMax module for it?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#18]
Can you describe the ".blim" format to us

Yes, blim format is based on Bitmap (bmp) but is for BlitzBasic/BlitzMax only and loads very fast for me in Blitz3D, BlitzMax and the monkey demo version. (I haven't bought it yet.)
, in terms of compression, file structure, and how it differs

much like bmp. you can use an image packer to compress the image.
Will you also release the BlitzMax module for it?

No module needed.
Global blim:TImage = LoadImage("myimage.blim")

Very simple. :)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#19]
How fast is loading very fast? I mean if we're talking about milliseconds, is that really even a big difference?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#20]
is that really even a big difference?

loading and drawing the image are two different things. I didn't say it draws to the screen faster. The format is more like a cross between DDS and BMP. I like making my own formats for models, images etc. This way my application is different from anybody else's because these formats are likely to not exist elsewhere. My model format for DarkBasic Pro is *.CWO (Captain Wicker Object) which are based on X and DBO. My format for Blitz3D is basically a modified version of MD2 (quake II mesh.) and loads the same as an MD2 mesh.

Would a simple Texture to Mesh Applying app be worth creating?

Last edited 2012

Amon(Posted 2012) [#21]
Greetings Mr Wicker.

I would, if I were you, keep on progressing with your software. Think of it this way; the foundations for your software are settling. Keep studying, googling for techniques, source code etc. Check out open source projects and see how they do what they do. Trial and error will get you far.

Keep adding to, redefining, recoding, tweaking your software and try to organize yourself with the necessary software that will help you plan your programming i.e. ToDo Software, code archive software etc. Heck why not code your own management software which is specifically tailored to you.

Not going to blabber on except to say, keep going, improving and don't worry if you make a mistake.

Happy coding and in a years time I expect to see a nice utility/tools/software catalgue programmed entirely by you. If you quit, the bunny gets it. ^^ :)

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#22]
[...] much like bmp. you can use an image packer to compress the image.

So it's essentially .bmp renamed to .blim - since you don't need a module. I'm pretty sure that, the way you describe it, I can load the image in any image editor. Sorry, won't buy.

Also, .bmp is uncompressed image data. I'll stick with PNG and JPG.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#23]

No module needed.

Hmpf...
- no module - no changes/adds to "LoadImage" done
- no additional code - no custom "LoadImage"
- result is a normal TImage - one pixmap

Think you are not using a custom fileformat and each better image-viewer will alert on loading "trying to load 'blim' but found 'imageformatXY', should I rename for you?".

That loading time of BMP is that fast, lies in the way it is compressed (RLE-encoding ...). Most time it's called "uncompressed" if no RLE is done.
Same for TGA/TIFF (also loading fast but capable of things like alpha or addititonal meta data).

Maybe I'm wrong with my assumptions - but it isn't the perfect way to just rename "formatA" to "formatB" for saying "have a custom format" or to hide some files (like older games done it to avoid cheating :D).

bye
Ron

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#24]

loading and drawing the image are two different things. I didn't say it draws to the screen faster.

Neither did I. Infact if you really did think that file formats made any difference to how fast the data was drawn to the screen I would be very worried indeed. The difference between loading a .bmp and .png in Blitz. We are talking about millisecs worth of difference. But I can't help feeling that a .bmp will load faster than yours.

The format is more like a cross between DDS and BMP. I like making my own formats for models, images etc. This way my application is different from anybody else's because these formats are likely to not exist elsewhere. My model format for DarkBasic Pro is *.CWO (Captain Wicker Object) which are based on X and DBO. My format for Blitz3D is basically a modified version of MD2 (quake II mesh.) and loads the same as an MD2 mesh.

It is true your file formats won't exist elsewhere but not sure how that is going to be a good thing. To me it seems like you have used an existing format, put a few more decorations on it with a Captain Wicker sticker and then tried to pass it off as something new.
Making a new file format that is similiar to .bmp. A file format that has been around for several decades. And your modified version of MD2, why would someone use yours instead?

I wrote a new .bmp file format as a form of really simple encryption on my images for a couple of my games, that would fool most people. That doesn't mean that it is anything special.

No. I would just use the Blitz command that allows me to do it.

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#25]

Here's my opinion on that

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#26]
As others have said, why would I want to buy a program that creates a new file format? And from a person who uses bmp files to display images on their own website. It makes me wonder if the person even knows how file formats work. Correct if I'm wrong but when I first starting working with the Internet about 15 years ago I tried to use .bmp in html and it didn't work.

Clearly browsers now can display bitmaps, or maybe I just screwed up trying to get one appear. But wow, even a small bitmap would take up more bandwidth than the entire page's to load. In dial up days that would be entire minutes to load.

I am actually surprised someone thought it would be a good idea to use .bmp on the Internet, have to give you a bit of credit for trying some new and outragous.

After all, the quality of a .png is exactly the same as .bmp and infinitely smaller. And even after multiple members telling you this glaring fact over a week ago, you are STILL using .bmp on your site....

Surely it would have been better to use a .blim file?

Last edited 2012

BladeRunner(Posted 2012) [#27]
No module needed.

Very simple. :)

Yeah, you indeed renamed .bmp.
Creating a file format needs a little more than renaming files.

EDIT: Oh god, i looked the video and the .ico file your program creates is 3.00 MB in size?! What the F***! An Icon of 3 Megs, sorry got to laugh out loud.
A standard icon has a max of 256²Px size, would make a max. of 256KB raw data. If it is 64² just 16K space qould be needed. You get the point?

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#28]
Seriously Captain... once more.

I saved that screenshot, used GIMP (not your software, sorry), saved as .jpg with a quality of 90, and got the exact same image to 36.7 KB in size.

// EDIT :

I just noticed you use the background image of BlitzMax.com and use DropBox for your images? U mad? You have captainwicker.com... I'm sure you can upload files there?! Mark Sibly could ask you stop stealing bandwidth from his domain. Just sayin'.

It seems you're "stealing" images from some places. If people find out about that ... Well, good luck.

--

Have fun and please enjoy our software because we have worked very hard to create it.

Uhm... Not to brag around or anything, really I don't want to, but I think I worked my braincells out (some may even have died in the process) to create my engine and to kind of get shadow mapping. I'm not claiming I understand the math behind it completely, but I have an idea. It took me a while to implement that in the engine, and frankly it doesn't look so great in the moment. The point is, that it somewhat works. I worked days and nights on it - not to mention the GUI that I'm implementing.

Not to belittle your efforts, and you said you're 15... honestly, you're yet to experience hard work.

Be careful with how you advertise your "products" and how you word certain things.

// EDIT

I also like to mention that my work altogether (even if it has been 2 years for the game) has not been hard.

I'm not the greatest fan of Apple right now, but when they say that they worked hard on the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display, and to achieve all that engineering, I think I believe them. More than you, anyways.

If SpaceX says it took them years of hard work to get to the point of becoming the first private enterprise to deliver goods to the ISS, I think I believe them, too.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#29]
you're yet to experience hard work.

yea i have. i have chopped lumber in massive amounts with no breaks, carried media centers from room to room with no help at all. (almost 400lbs) and that was hard work. I took the High School equivalency exam a year ago and passed it. (didn't get anything for it though).
how you word certain things.

I think the same can be said for you. ;)

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#30]
yea i have. i have chopped lumber in massive amounts with no breaks, carried media centers from room to room with no help at all. (almost 400lbs) and that was hard work. I took the High School equivalency exam a year ago and passed it. (didn't get anything for it though).

Turn 18, work for 10 years, and come back to me - a'ight?

--

I think the same can be said for you. ;)

Aha? Got any example to back that up?

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#31]
Got any example to back that up?

Nah, I was just messing! :D

BladeRunner(Posted 2012) [#32]
Maybe you should realize that we want to help you by showing that you have quite a lot to do here if you want to get what you are saying you already have.
If getting offending is your only answer, I'll stop any further tries after this post.

Just anwer yourself some question:
- Do you need a program to change gfx file formats if it expects users to get the size of the images done in another program (which already can save in all wanted formats)?
- Is creating an .ico-file that is bigger in Filesize than the standard .exe-file it would be sticked to a useful thing? (knowing the fact that the standard .ico will be lots smaller)
- is a format like .blim which obviously consists of a renamed .bmp from any use for anyone? If protecting your work from others ist one of your goals: Obfuscating was never a good way to hide information, if you want to encrypt data there are a lot of other means to achieve that. Also, .bmp is a very inefficient file format. If you want your own, first invest some thoughts on what you could improve on the existing ones. This involves a lot of theory on things like packing/crunching and the like. But I forecast it will be very hard to find sth. absolutely new and better than the existing formats.

It's no fault to be proud of what one has managed to do, but keep realistic in what impact it haves on others. Enjoy your program but don't try to declare it to an uber-thingie. It ins't.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#33]
Captain Wicker, I think what I find perhaps a tad bewildering if your inability to read what people are saying.

A 'potential' customer comes along and tells you about the bmp problem. Instead of thinking to yourself (Hmm, that's a bit embarrassing, no worry though I can quickly change it whilst noone is looking) you give him a link to a movie file instead... Perhaps you honestly thought that due to the bitmaps loading slowly, a potential customer couldn't visualise your program so instead you thought it a better idea to show him it via a movie instead?

In reality of course, a task as trivial as changing the icon doesn't warrant a youtube movie, all that does instead is reveal to people here your amateurish skills, it also highlights some disturbing facts such as your desktop arrangement and a 3MB ico file...

Here is a quick question for you, do you actually know what the difference is between *.bmp and .bmp? You have been misquoting that for a while, just wondered if you actually knew why the star was needed. (or not needed) Unless your program can support batching over multiple files? (I gave you a hint there)

And work requires manual labour for it to be considered hard work? Surely, I mean surely you are joking. Carrying around media servers is the equivalent of hard work? I nearly spat my drink out when I read that.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#34]
is a format like .blim which obviously consists of a renamed .bmp from any use for anyone?

blim is cross of dds + bmp.
Carrying around media servers is the equivalent of hard work? I nearly spat my drink out when I read that.

Enay, Have you ever even tried to lift one of these? They aren't servers. It is something you put a TV in.

Last edited 2012

BladeRunner(Posted 2012) [#35]
So, would you be so kind and show the .blim file specs. If you can load it without any changes to the Blitzmax Image loaders, there can't bew a difference to existing file formats.
Second on that you say yourself that they are similar in size to bmp. DDS are compressed files, so i could expect the images to be smaller than BMP.
Mind giving a link to a .blim-image for us to investigate?
If it is a cross between DDS and BMP you can shurely explain to the interested listener which abilities it takes from which side and how it is realized.
So, not only blalba from your side, get to the facts.

Hummelpups(Posted 2012) [#36]
$100 he's scamming us

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#37]
blim is cross of dds + bmp.

... which brings us back to wording certain things.

You have not provided any proof whatsoever to show us what this file format exactly is. You have been asked at least twice now to show us what exactly it is - yet you got evasive or offensive.

At this point it is becoming critical that you show us exactly what modifications have been done, how the BMP file format was modified, and why it is possible to use it without any additional BlitzMax module. If you have nothing to hide there should be no problem in providing what we ask for.

Failure to do so will leave you as a scammer in our heads. You really want that? And then put a price tag on your "products"? No one is going to take you seriously - regardless what you say, about anything.

Eyes are on you.

Oh and the other thing you posted, is a shelf of some sorts. A media server would be a PC tailored for media-playing capabilities.

Ah yes, and also, you're yet to experience hard work.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#38]
Mark Sibly could ask you stop stealing bandwidth from his domain. Just sayin'.

Better now? Oh my, slap on the handcuffs and take me away for swiping 120B of colorful pixels. xP
You have not provided any proof whatsoever to show us what this file format exactly is. You have been asked at least twice now to show us what exactly it is.

What do you want me to do? Make a video of me loading up a blim in BlitzMax or what??? You cant actually expect me to give you the translation code do you?
$100 he's scamming us

I haven't charged $100 for anything and do not plan to do so and am not scamming anybody. :p

Last edited 2012

BladeRunner(Posted 2012) [#39]
Load up a .blim here. let us see your marvelous format.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#40]

I haven't charged $100 ...

Hmm, my mother tongue isn't English - but I think one bet $100 that you are "scamming us"

You cant actually expect me to give you the translation code do you?

Just summarize what makes the difference of blim to the formats it is using as basement.
Additionally - place a .blim-file here - think we want to have a look on the magic identifier bytes in the file's header.

To make people being able to use your file format - you should make the format in such a way understandable, that people can write their importers for the game engine they use (c++ and so on).

Ah and as it gets my favorite thread here on blitzmax.com... a bit of flaming

Oh my, slap on the handcuffs and take me away for swiping 120B of colorful pixels. xP

"Hey, I just killed Kevin" ... "Don't worry, there are enough Kevins, nobody will care".
It does not matter wether you steal 120Bytes or 120TBytes. Both times you do the same: use something which others did not provide you to use for your intention.
But to give you something to learn: if you request a file from a different server:
1) Hey Server, I want something ... file XYZ
2) Server: Hey I have a file XYZ, do you have it already?
3) Hey Server, no I don't pls send it to me
4) Server: Here you have .... your 120B of that file
4.1) FileLock for reading (as it may be a file which can be written to) (although most servers handle it a bit more clever :D)
4.2) FileData gets send to you
4.3) FileLock removed
5) TCP-Connection to you is closed (if not in persistent-mode)

- can be more complicated if datasize is bigger than packetsize

So your 120 Byte request makes the server do more ... eg. it blocks access to write over that file ... although servers have restrictions of concurrent request amounts ... but anyways... you don't seem to care.

but the most important thing of using remote resources...
if they remove the file... you will end up with missing style-elements.

Or what if BRL decides to replace that img with a stinky-finger-smiley? You then would present it to your visitors. ... same for other copyright infringements - it then gets YOUR problem as YOU use that media file as if it was yours ...

But like said ... you don't seem to care - and I think you didn't had nice contacts to lawyers trying to sue you for some bucks more than $1-2.000.

Hmpf... I just wanted to add: to advertise your app - make a normal/light-version and a "plus"-version with added functions... but then I recognized... the light app would then only be an app-window with [x] and a "open and save is only possible in the plus-version"-message.
^-- take that serious (light, plus-versions) or give it away for free and try to build up other apps wich build on that free base apps.

bye
Ron

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#41]
Or what if BRL decides to replace that img with a stinky-finger-smiley? You then would present it to your visitors

It isn't on brl's servers now therefor it would not be presented to my visitors.
see here
now everybody is happy. :)

EDIT: Maybe you cant 'see here'. I dont see anything myself until i open the image in paint.

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#42]
Wow dude, I don't think you're actually reading the important bits of the replies, or you deliberately choose to ignore our requests.

This is your last chance to redeem yourself and show us your glorious file format. Upload a .blim file and we'll check the file headers. That alone can determine if you're telling the truth.

If you don't do that, I don't think anyone around here will trust you anymore, or listen to you.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#43]
file headers

um, do you get my code? How to check 'headers'?

EDIT: oh well here you are. before you accuse me of lying I will once again say that qdb and blim are based on bmp and dds. that is all. icns may or may not work as it is experimental only.

Last edited 2012

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#44]
Thanks for the upload.

Well, after 30 seconds of looking at your files. My results are as follows.

If I rename your .blim file to a .bmp and drag it into MSPaint it opens, because quite simply it IS A 100% .bmp
It is exactly the same number of bytes and opening up both files and checking the bytes, they are identical. Because quite simply, a blim file is just a bitmap.
Hell, dragging your blim will open up in MSPaint because Windows looks at the header and thinks, yep this is a bmp. Opening as bitmap.
This is why Blitzmax etc will so easily load your file. It doesn't even check the file extension, it just looks at the header and sees that it is a bitmap and then loads of as a bitmap. Do you honestly think that Blitzmax would be able to magically understand a new blim file format without having support adding for it in by Mark Sibly? Doing it yourself you would need some sort of .dll or external library. In Blitz3D too, you can rename a file to .jpg and .png, or even the word .gay
Blitz3D an Blitzmax won't even look at the file name, it will open it as the file described in the header.

You did know that of course don't you Captain Wicker?

So basically your .ico files are simply just bitmaps with an .ico extension. Have you even tried using them with resource hacker? Then you will see what is in there. Your software isn't adding a single new byte of information into the file...

Well, I guess that just leaves me to say, good luck with your bmp to bmp opener and saver software. You have indeed created a new niche of software in the image wibbling market place.

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#45]
Enay, I will admit that blim/qdb are in fact bitmap files. tga, ico, cur, png, jpeg etc are not. :P

@BlitzSupport: Do your duty! XD

Last edited 2012

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#46]
Awesome.

So you actually admit that your file format is actually a bitmap and that icons may not work, that is a pretty interesting product summary.
Icons won't work because they're bitmaps. Unless the program you're inserting them into realises that they're bitmaps and automatically imports then as icon files for you.

So what reason is there in buying your product at all?

Of course .png, .jpg files etc are not bitmaps.....

I'm starting to think that typing away on my keyboard is a waste of finger energy.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#47]
oh well here you are. before you accuse me of lying I will once again say that qdb and blim are based on bmp and dds. that is all. icns may or may not work as it is experimental only.

That's because, well, you are lying.

I think you have lost pretty much the respect of all forum members, old and new ones, by trying to convince us that you created a magical new file format. However, you, IN FACT, put a Captain Wicker badge on the BMP format and attempted to sell it as your own.

I'm at a loss of words. Kudos for trying something completely outrageous though. Too bad you got caught.

Maybe you should rename yourself "Captain Scammer". At least that would be some truth coming from you.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#48]
Have you even tried using them with resource hacker?

yes because they are actually icons first off. Second, everything in my app is 100% accurate set aside blim/qdb. the icons are icons, the tgas are tgas, and so on. :P

BladeRunner(Posted 2012) [#49]
Another Time i got to say that your .ico is 3mb in size which is far beyond the size of a properly created .ico-file. See the .ico-specs, they can easily be found with google.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#50]

yes because they are actually icons first off. Second, everything in my app is 100% accurate set aside blim/qdb

Dare you post one of your .ico files?
I dare say most people here are keen to see what's in your 3mb .ico files.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#51]
I will be posting a converted icon scaled at 128x128 and show you that I mean what I say. :P
Wait a few minutes as I am on a very slow network at the moment. (HughesNet)

Ah foil me now: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56193888/icons.ico (64.0KB)

Perhaps you may want to look at my 32x32 icon. @4.05KB
Here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56193888/headers.ico

DISCLAIMER: icons were scaled in ms paint before converting.

Confession (.BLIM): Worked on the format, took too much time, renamed to bmp. There!

Last edited 2012

ford escort(Posted 2012) [#52]
i don't want to be harsh but do you make some advertising somewhere else ?
did you sell any copy of your tools ?
do you have some feedback about them from another comunity or website ? forum ? blog?
you'd better to put them for free and work hard on another software that will be much better than this "converter".

look at this, this is free....
http://www.irfanview.com/

be sure that everyone on this forum will know at least 1 free software that can do the job your pay software do. be sure that also everyone here can code this kind of tool in 5 minutes.... or maybe 15...
so advertising on this forum is useless, BUT. i have to admit that you got guts to sell your works.

i respect this.

please work hard on something big and nice and polished and awesome, and then try to sell it for real :)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#53]
do you make some advertising somewhere else ?

I dont really know how and do not have the money to do that. Sorry :(
you got guts to sell your works.

If I release something for free it will be really really really crappy or would contain your average 'creative commons' in the project. ;) i.e.: copyrighted sounds, images, etc. (things that I could not sell.)
i respect this.

Thanks, you are probably the only person here that does. :)
work hard on something big and nice and polished and awesome, and then try to sell it for real

Actually, I am attempting to do a racing game (cartoon based but in 3d) with Irrlicht and BlitzMax. :)

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#54]
If I release something for free it will be really really really crappy or would contain your average 'creative commons' in the project. ;)

shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#55]
Hello, for a fifteen year old I think what you have done is actually pretty impressive.
You have created a standalone program, build a dot com website around it and even try to sell it now.
The thing is however as pointed out, that your software hasn't got a unique selling point, something that sets it apart from other (free) programs. You don't have to trump other software in functionality, just provide something really special and polish that bit.

Also, if I may, a little tip with costumer support: Generally people hate to be wrong. If you consider this simple fact, you can see that a (possible) customer is never wrong. Always respond in a positive manner. Criticism is toxic.

So, good luck with you future projects.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#56]
Thank you for that bit of advice shinkiro1 :)

BladeRunner(Posted 2012) [#57]

If I release something for free it will be really really really crappy

Sorry to be that harsh: make this free (or even better: take it off the net). In fact, it is Crap.
It has absolelutely no functionality in this form as it depends on other programs that can do all tasks this program can do´, too.
At least it should automagically resize the images for .ico-conversion to be of any use.
When i use gimp to resize, i use gimp to save it as .ico.
No need ever for this prog.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#58]
linux terminal:
$ file icons.ico
icons.ico: PC bitmap, Windows 3.x format, 128 x 128 x 32

$ file icons_SavedWithGimp.ico
icons_SavedWithGimp.ico: MS Windows icon resource - 1 icon

Unbelievable? Open it with your favorite hexeditor ... first bytes of the file are for determination of filetype... hey and there it is ... our beloved BM.
Thats the obvious reason why icon-sets wont work most times is my assumption of you just writing the bitmap streams to one file ... but I haven't seen an example file - and no I am not willed to have one.

so just to remind yourself:

Enay, I will admit that blim/qdb are in fact bitmap files. tga, ico, cur, png, jpeg etc are not. :P

I have now to admit: stop producing dump. Keep carrying shelfs/desks/whatever ... enjoy the natural wood textures on that furniture but keep away from trying to sell tools you also could call "BMP-Renamer v0.1".
Else you just end up trying to sell a cool "Pong Remake" with the USP (unique selling point) of "Ball AI" which just means - sometimes the ball goes through the paddles or moves awkward.

Oh... before missing that

Confession (.BLIM): Worked on the format, took too much time, renamed to bmp. There!

the to change back the fileending is NOT "working on the format" - and it does not take "too much time" ...

bye
Ron

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#59]
Whilst we can all have a subtle chuckle at Captain Wicker for thinking he has created a new file format and bizarrely not reading any of our comments for giving him advice on anything.

My only concern really is that he is promoting and trying to sell fraudulent software on the blitz forums.

Else you just end up trying to sell a cool "Pong Remake" with the USP (unique selling point) of "Ball AI" which just means - sometimes the ball goes through the paddles or moves awkward.

You might want to examine the ball physics at about 10 seconds in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8B5sfCUjBQ
A bat but no need to hit the ball.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#60]

You might want to examine the ball physics at about 10 seconds...

Oh... (sorry for kidnapping the thread :D) ... thought he is aged 15 or older?
If so he should be able to "calculate" the angles (or he missed it in school as he has had to work as furniture-transporter :p) ...
... wait ... have to add before a new app arises: NO, nobody needs a "calculate angles"-tool (because you won't take object-spin and other things into consideration).

bye
Ron

shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#61]

Oh... (sorry for kidnapping the thread :D) ... thought he is aged 15 or older?
If so he should be able to "calculate" the angles (or he missed it in school as he has had to work as furniture-transporter :p) ...
... wait ... have to add before a new app arises: NO, nobody needs a "calculate angles"-tool (because you won't take object-spin and other things into consideration).

In what ways might this comment help Captain Wicker or any other forum user?
I don't want to offend you, just saying that imo using insults is not really needed.

Last edited 2012

Derron(Posted 2012) [#62]
Also not offending but your post wont make me think differently about my post and the thread starter.
And as he was many times kind enough to swear lies/not-the-truth ... it's not a flamewar-style of replying.

But a way this comment can help Mr. Wicker: his pong video is showing problems with mathematics. As he is willed to make unexclusive functions (eg. conversion) into non-fully-working applications I also added the hint he should avoid using that function within a future tool out of his prodcution-line. Say - he needs some basic knowledge - or more time searching for bugs like exchanged variables or added minus-signs.

bye
Ron

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#63]
Well, my take on it is, it's ok to make mistakes, so as long as you learn from them.

There's going to be little progress if conveniently ignoring the wisdom from other members is the way to go. I think Captain Wicker needs to learn how to read first.

And then there is asking questions before even trying yourself. If you're selling software in one thread and then asking how the AppTitle command works in another. How is that going to help one's skills improve?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#64]
fraudulent software on the blitz forums

Captain Scammer

It is still fraudulent

Read the FINE PRINT
Smart Image is a standard image conversion utility with the ability to import and then export images to many different formats. Supported images are Mac icons, Windows icons, Bitmaps, Windows cursors and more! The best part is that with Smart Image, you don't need to scale your image for different icon sizes as everything is handled behind the scenes and images are saved as actual size with less effort and no hassle. With this great application, creating icons, cursors and image conversions has never been as simple, effective or as easy! Note: SmartImage Pro is not officially supported by Windows 7 and is unknown to work properly on x64 based Operating Systems. The BLIM file format is a color optimized bitmap only. You must have Microsoft DirectX9.0c installed to run this software.

src: http://www.captainwicker.com/products.htm
f you're selling software in one thread and then asking how the AppTitle command works in another

AppTitle() doesn't work with the Irrlicht engine. Look at that post again and see what the solution was and still is.
How is that going to help one's skills improve?

I am very occupied writing my book. :P

Last edited 2012

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#65]
I read your fine (BOLD) print.
Despite the fact that most of is just a false statement or blatant lying, it contradicts your earlier statements.

The BLIM file format is a color optimized bitmap only.

Enay, I will admit that blim/qdb are in fact bitmap files.

It is a bitmap. It is not a colour optimised bitmap, it is a RENAMED .bmp file. It is a bitmap. You've sent us your file, we've checked it. It is a bitmap. You admitted you renamed it to bmp on several occasions. IT IS A BMP!

Graphics 1280,1024

Repeat
	Print "IT'S A BITMAP! IT'S A BITMAP! IT'S A BITMAP! IT'S A BITMAP! IT'S A BITMAP! IT'S A BITMAP!"
Forever

I remember being 15 years old. I can only presume you are being this stupid on purpose. It is an insult to the common sense of other 15 year olds to be honest.

I am very occupied writing my book. :P

Last edited 2012

BladeRunner(Posted 2012) [#66]
'nuff said. Let him play on his own.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#67]
Trial and error

That is how I learn, adapt, and survive
linux terminal:
$ file icons.ico
icons.ico: PC bitmap, Windows 3.x format, 128 x 128 x 32
$ file icons_SavedWithGimp.ico
icons_SavedWithGimp.ico: MS Windows icon resource - 1 icon

MINE DOESN'T SAY THAT
Let him play on his own.

THIS IS MY FINAL COMMENT AND FINAL VISIT TO BLITZBASIC.COM
REPLYING TO THIS COMMENT WILL DO YOU NO GOOD AS I WILL NOT REPLY BACK

Hummelpups(Posted 2012) [#68]
win \o/ hooray

steve_ancell(Posted 2012) [#69]
win \o/ hooray

With non-constructive comments such as that, it's no surprise why the membership count on here is so low.

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#70]
With non-constructive comments such as that, it's no surprise why the membership count on here is so low.

Then how about you post something constructive and do something for the community? :)

steve_ancell(Posted 2012) [#71]
Then how about you post something constructive and do something for the community? :)

I have though, I've been trying to persuade you lot to get along with each other. ;)

steve_ancell(Posted 2012) [#72]
If you're talking about in a programming kind of sense though, I don't post much because I don't think my coding is any better than what others on here have done already.

JustLuke(Posted 2012) [#73]

... she said, swishing her hair and flouncing out of the room.

If you don't check to see who replies to your drama-queen hissy fit, I'll eat my hat, and if you never post on this forum again, I'll regurgitate said hat and eat it again. :P

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#74]
Looks like I just saved you a bad stomach ache then doesn't it Luke! :P

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#75]

Welcome back Captain ItsABitmap. I was thinking the other day, what are you up too these days after your final comment and final visit to blitzbasic.com

And now, you're back, it almost seems like it was yesterday.

Oh wait, it was yesterday.

Just enough time for you to go to bed and then wake up again.

steve_ancell(Posted 2012) [#76]
Oh bloomin' hell, not again!, do I really have to come over there and glue your paws to your desks?. LOL

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#77]
Okay Now I am done for real. (not kidding)
I will not be coming back here for a while. :P
Now I just need to change my sig and im gone. :D

Raven67854(Posted 2012) [#78]
Uhhh???? Maybe a moderator should lock/remove this thread..

InvisibleKid(Posted 2012) [#79]
Ode to Eric

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#80]
Oh bloomin' hell, not again!, do I really have to come over there and glue your paws to your desks?. LOL

steve_ancell - Flower Power Police

steve_ancell(Posted 2012) [#81]
LOL

I'm not a hippy though... Honest!.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#82]
WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!!!
I finally figured out that the files were all saving to bmp because of this small piece of code.
   	  if (right$(open_file$,3)="bmp")=0
   	     save image "_temp.bmp",1
   	     file$="_temp.bmp"
   	  endif

I took this out and all is converting properly. I will be rebranding the product soon. Sorry bout before! Will fix! :D

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#83]
Wow, that's twice you've left the community, all within a few days. Might be a new world record.

I took this out and all is converting properly. I will be rebranding the product soon. Sorry bout before! Will fix! :D

We're already tired of your childish games and are hardly likely to believe you now. Or care about your useless software, to be honest.

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#84]
[...] I took this out and all is converting properly.

Probably into .blim .

JustLuke(Posted 2012) [#85]
This discussion thread is a steaming pile of blim.

Last edited 2012

Hummelpups(Posted 2012) [#86]
don't feed the troll

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#87]
I've got sweets. Haribo ones.

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#88]
Bit of a train wreck and you haven't done your credibility any good really. I thought you would have pulled this application from sale (what is a distorted bitmap?). I like using XnView for image format converting. I like Haribo. Alot. You have made me hungry.

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Ginger Tea(Posted 2012) [#89]
I bought 5 packs of spearmint chews from poundland
and a lot of cd's one had the wrong bleeding disc in it, not that I mind it was only a quid and probably better than Nelly Furturd anyway

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#90]
captainwicker.com/products.htm

Note: SmartImage Pro is not officially supported by Windows 7 and is known not to work properly on x64 based Operating Systems. The BLIM file format is a format based on bitmap (bmp). Please note that files converted with SmartImage Pro are not compressed and are large in size. You must have Microsoft DirectX9.0c installed to run this software.

I'm sure he doesn't give a .blim about what we say, but anyways - here goes:

1) 32-bit applications work just fine on 64-bit Windows. The mechanism is called WoW (Windows on Windows). They all do, unless you messed up bad in your code.

2) I highly suggest you scratch the bold sections. We know blim is not based on anything and is just a bitmap.

If someone ever figures this out (and I'm sure that it'll come to that), people could sue you for selling fraudulent software.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#91]
I thought a "blim" was a unit of time on the planet Ork, where Mork came from. Or was that a "bleem"?

*(Posted 2012) [#92]
I could see M$ sueing for using the bmp file format and passing it as his own creation

Amon(Posted 2012) [#93]
Please let this thread die. It's begging you to let it go. Let it go guys!..let it go...

Derron(Posted 2012) [#94]

It's begging you to let it go. Let it go guys!..let it go...

thanks a lot for my ears pretending to hear the famous celine dion song...

bye
Ron

PS: this thread is keeping me reloading the forum more than on the days before :D

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#95]
32-bit applications work just fine on 64-bit Windows.

First, This one doesn't. Second, I give it the exact same installation on Win7 or Win7 x64 as Vista x86 but still doesn't work at all and gives missing dll errors when the dll files used are right there. Third, It is not capable of running on Windows Seven or x64.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#96]
Come on mods. Either ban this guy for selling fraudulent software, or quite simply just restrict his access here until he's grown up into an adult.

It is not capable of running on Windows Seven or x64.

In that case, you could label it as a feature of your software.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#97]
First, This one doesn't. Second, I give it the exact same installation on Win7 or Win7 x64 as Vista x86 but still doesn't work at all and gives missing dll errors when the dll files used are right there. Third, It is not capable of running on Windows Seven or x64.

I'm not sure how you compile your stuff - but I can assure you that Windows 7 x64 runs 32-bit apps quite well - in fact, it runs them perfectly. Unless, like I said, you messed up something.

Also, Windows 7 runs apps compiled for Vista just fine. It's called backward compatibility. Now in some rare cases it is true that Vista apps don't run well on Win7 - but you can always enable the compatibility options in the properties tab of your .exe file. I think, after a time longer than your entire lifetime in IT, I know what I'm saying.

Install Visual Studio Express (or something) on your Vista, create a small Hello-World-Application with a window, and throw that on a Windows 7 x64 machine. I think you'll find that I'm right.

Or - reinstall your Windows. Because it sounds to me something is messed up in your OS, rather than your code - or so I'd like to believe.

One last thing I'd like to add, is, that after all this satire we have seen here, the initial post still has BM... oh sorry, .blim images.

Last edited 2012

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#98]
Or was that a "bleem"?

Wasn't bleem an PS1 emulator for the PC or something?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#99]
on your Vista, create a small Hello-World-Application with a window, and throw that on a Windows 7 x64 machine.

Any other application I make works fine but anything I create with the BBB GUI doesn't work on Win7 for some odd reason. Will work on 2000, XP, Vista but not Seven.
Wasn't bleem an PS1 emulator for the PC or something?

Here: http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/bleem.html
I like ePSXe better: http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/epsxe.html
[EDITED ROMS LINK -- Please don't link to illegal software downloads here! --BlitzSupport]
Very Addicting!!!!

Last edited 2012

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#100]
Good morning Captain 'ItsABitMap&IgnoreAllUsefulFeedBack' Wicker,

You do know it is illegal to post links to illegal ROM sites don't you?

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#101]
There is no such thing as a legal rom download. No matter what they say about "backups" or "delete within 24 hours" or "out of print" or whatever, nope, all of it is illegal. Which jurisdiction you live in isn't going to make much difference.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#102]
I can quite easily see now why you got yourself a virus, by visiting rom sites and downloading illegal roms.

Linking to illegal roms, selling fraudulent software.

Very Addicting for a 15 year old.

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#103]
Alright Captain Bitmap, enjoy your time before you get banned for posting links to illegal ROM downloads.

If I may say so - good riddance when that happens.

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#104]
Simply amazing...

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#105]
This is a pretty nasty thread all round.