Smart Image Pro image and icon conversion software

Community Forums/Showcase/Smart Image Pro image and icon conversion software

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
I have been working on this project for about two days now and I call it Smart Image. Smart image was part coded in BlitzMax, DarkBasic Pro and Visual C++ 2008 Express. The objective is to create a high quality image conversion software. Currently supported image formats are TGA, PNG, JPEG, BMP, ICO. All icons and images created with this software are actual size! Simply create an image in your favorite program, import the image and then export it to the format you do so desire! After importing an image, it is automatically loaded up for preview. Image resolution varies on the size of the original imported image. The higher the resolution is on your image, the better quality it will appear to be after it is then exported. Most icon conversion applications limit the resolution to 28x28, 64x64, 128x128. This special app can exceed the native windows icon size limit ensuring high quality icons produced that can be used in any application. Transparency is automatically added to images with the color hue is set to 160, Sat is set to 0, Lum is set to 0, and RGB = 0, 0, 0

I hope to add more features in soon and thank you for your interest! :)
This is a preview only. Download is not available

UPDATE:
Added support for MacOS Icons (*.icns)(experimental), DirectDraw Image format (*.dds) and two new image formats called QuickBlitz (*.blim) and QuickDB (*.qdb). These new formats are exclusive to BlitzMax and DarkBasic Pro's image loaders. It will be advised to create and scale the image before conversion. The converter scales all images at acutual size

More Updates soon! If anyone can suggest any other image formats, I will be happy to add support for them! :)

UPDATE:
SmartImage is just about ready to be released. I am attempting to have it published soon. Stand by! :D

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#2]
Can anyone tell me of some more image formats that I could add support for?
I have listed the supported formats in my first post. :)

EDIT: And sorry for my system's lag, It does this when it gets hot and when I have my screen recorder running. :)

Last edited 2012

jsp(Posted 2012) [#3]
part coded in BlitzMax, DarkBasic Pro and Visual C++ 2008 Express.

Is there a special reason you needed other languages than BlitzMax??

To save an .ICO file would make more sense if you could stack several different icon sizes into the file, I think.

You could add some drag and drop support, that would be handy.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#4]
drag and drop support

I had thought of that before when I first tried Imagicon. I didn't like it that much and find it very difficult to create and if I did do this, it would be very hard to save the new image to a different directory besides the one in which the imported image is already placed in. I actually prefer to keep it's interface the way it is without drag and drop because I like the idea of having an image preview before exporting it to the specified image format.
Is there a special reason you needed other languages

Yes, DBPro for the wonderful BBB GUI which is available from the community forums and C++ to make my own modifications to the USkin.DLL file which is used to manipulate the native windows appearance to the gui. I used BlitzMax to create a non visible output for each file being processed during conversion.
To save an .ICO file would make more sense if you could stack several different icon sizes into the file

You may scale the image in any paint like program before converting it. I have already added icon support for import and export. I am now trying to add *.icns support for OSX app icons. Although there will be no Macintosh or Linux release, it is an advantage for it be exclusive to windows as it uses DirectX to apply filters to the image so that I do not have garbled images returned after the conversion. Since Linux and MacOS does not support Microsoft's DirectX and since the app is part coded in DBP and CPP, The application cannot be ported. The goal is to create an image conversion application for windows that will product high resolution images and icons for use in games and other applications. The application itself is very near completion. All I am doing now is adding support for different image formats. I do hope to add more abilities to the program but it will take a lot longer to do this.

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#5]
... to make my own modifications to the USkin.DLL file which is used to manipulate the native windows appearance to the gui.

I'm not sure why you'd want to go into those lengths - MaxGUI does the job perfectly well and has access to pretty much all Windows GUI elements. People can change appearances on their own by patching the UXTheme.dll and install their own Windows skins - no?

shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#6]
I also see no reason not using MaxGUI. You say drag and drop is hard to implement?
In MaxGui it's basically 2 lines of code. (just use the right flag for window creation and then later in your loop catch EVENT_WINDOWACCEPT)

So your program converts an image to an icon without shrinking it? I couldn't really get that from the description or the video.

Athos(Posted 2012) [#7]
Just an idea:
Support for create/edit Icon libraries

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#8]
So your program converts an image to an icon without shrinking it?

Yes, The image remains the same size throughout the conversion process! If you would like the icon or image a specific size, all you will need to do is scale the image before importing it. In ms paint, Click edit and then attributes and then enter the size you would like the image to be scaled to.
I also see no reason not using MaxGUI

The program itself is complete. All I am doing now is adding support for other import and export formats. :)

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#9]

Yes, The image remains the same size throughout the conversion process! If you would like the icon or image a specific size, all you will need to do is scale the image before importing it. In ms paint, Click edit and then attributes and then enter the size you would like the image to be scaled to.

As it stands, it converts, not to sound nasty, but it not exactly "smart" the way it sounds, and there are better online tools available for this sort of work.

EDIT: Like this, first one on Google: http://www.coolutils.com/online/image-converter/

Dabz

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#10]
Dabz, That page only converts to certain formats. My software (when complete) will support a wide range of image formats. There will be nothing like mine.

LineOf7s(Posted 2012) [#11]
Irfanview feature list
Irfanview formats

Best of luck in your endeavours.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#12]
Pausing the movie file in the 1st second in 1080HD gave me an interesting view of your desktop. I like the way you have put pretty much every file you are working on straight onto the desktop.

I suppose in one way, at least you don't have to go around searching in all those cumbersome directory structures on your harddisk to find all your files.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2012) [#13]
my old desktiop was a mess too
hell my pysical one is worse

how did that phrase go, "you cant arrange by penis"

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#14]

"you cant arrange by penis"

That sounds more like a dare or an invite rather than a crux. :)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#15]
I like the way you have put pretty much every file you are working on straight onto the desktop.

It saves time. 2 words, Quick Access. Whenever I fill up the desktop, I make a new folder and name it to Desktop with the month and day next to it. My last folder was titled 'Desktop June 5th'. It helps me to keep track of where my files all are. :)

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#16]
[bbcode]MMCK_DATA:
/Anime
/Developer
/Documents
/Downloads
/InstallMeHere
/Music
/Pictures
/Videos[/bbcode]

I have nothing on my desktop and Windows finds files just as quick in those folders.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#17]
takes more navigation to get to all those folders though

Ginger Tea(Posted 2012) [#18]
what if you forget which month you saved those files to?

myself I have a zip folder for any and all downloads even if they get saved to the desktop or some other folder first same for pdf files, I then subfolder them where needed.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#19]
takes more navigation to get to all those folders though

Of course, most people do it like you and keep insurance papers, bank papers, medical papers, and other files, all in one huge folder. And if it all gets too much, they just put a folder inside the folder with the old stuff.

Who needs labels and many folders anyways? That's so 20th century.