Virtual-Sketch Etch-A-Sketch for PC

Community Forums/Showcase/Virtual-Sketch Etch-A-Sketch for PC

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]

Captain Wicker Interactive has released his second BlitzMax application! Virtual-Sketch is a virtual version of Etch-A-Sketch for Microsoft Windows based computers. The demo is available to download now! The demo is fully functional with the exception of not being able to save images. The full version will allow the saving of images. Creating this was nowhere near as simple as it's appearance! The full version will be feature packed! A MacOS demo will make it's appearance soon! ;)

Minimum System Requirements:
Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7
OpenGL accelerated video card
800MHz+ Processor
DirectX 7.0a

Recommended System Requirements:
Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7
DirectX supported 2D accelerated video card
1.6GHz+ Processor
DirectX 9.0c

Demo Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56193888/VirtuaSketch_Demo091_Setup.exe

I would appreciate any feedback on how well it runs on your system and if you find any major bugs! :)

Thanks for trying! :D

Last edited 2012

steve_ancell(Posted 2012) [#2]
Works fine on my PC.

Specs:
Pentium-4 @ 3 GHZ.
2 GB RAM.
128 MB Geforce FX5200 GFX card.

TaskMaster(Posted 2012) [#3]
Are you actually going to sell this?

What makes you think Hasbro (or whatever toy company actually owns the rights) isn't going to come banging on your door? Did you license it or something?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2012) [#4]
..what does this proggy do ?..

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
i'm actually thinking of turning this into a full featured paint program! :D
THAT WOULD SELL TO MILLIONS

JustLuke(Posted 2012) [#6]
THAT WOULD SELL TO MILLIONS

My crystal ball says "NO, IT WON'T."

Normally I don't place much stock in the supernatural but in this case, I think I can believe it.

What is so unique and special about your commercial paint software that will persuade people to choose it over other commercial (or free) alternatives?

steve_ancell(Posted 2012) [#7]
My crystal ball says "NO, IT WON'T."

No harm in trying though, things have to start somewhere.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#8]
I can't help but feel uneasy when I see that a 1.6GHz PC is recommended for this. DirectX 9.0c is really being put to the test on this one.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
I can't help but feel uneasy when I see that a 1.6GHz PC is recommended for this. DirectX 9.0c is really being put to the test on this one.

I've got three Windows PCs that I use to test applications on, My slowest machine runs at 800MHz and has many graphical errors and is very slow which is why I recommend at least 1.6GHz. I am basically starting over with the application and think it could take some time to finish. :(

Derron(Posted 2012) [#10]
This kind of application does not need 60fps. Lower the requirements by using wxwidgets and some events.

things have to start somewhere.

Hmm I think I would not have the balls to publish something in that "early demo stage" of development - because the knowledge of getting some "what the ..."-posts would frighten me.

As a hint:
Polish the interface (gfx-knobs, shiny-plastics-box). For saving: savepixmap and so on will help.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#11]
Polish the interface (gfx-knobs, shiny-plastics-box). For saving: savepixmap and so on will help.

I plan to 'polish' the graphics later and the full version already features saving of images. I will link to the full product when it has been published instead of being turned down by publishers. :)

EDIT:
I have a good mind to take a shot of an actual etch-a-sketch's front side and then edit it for good measure. Also, I am not that great of a graphics designer so making polished images will be very difficult for me.

Last edited 2012

LineOf7s(Posted 2012) [#12]
I have a good mind to take a shot of an actual etch-a-sketch's front side and then edit it for good measure

What could possibli go wrong with that idea?

I will link to the full product when it has been published

Like this one was?

Or maybe this free one? How about this one? I'm sure yours is officially licensed to use the name "Etch-A-Sketch", of course.

Now don't get me wrong: I think this is an excellent project you're working on and a great way to start small and slowly build up to Le Grande MMO that I'm sure you have hidden away deep down inside. Keep going, and more power to you. If you need help, these forums are here to help you to learn, and learn you have. Good work.

But to be thinking of SELLING it? Madness, in so many ways.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#13]
But to be thinking of SELLING it? Madness, in so many ways.

Would you recommend selling a model viewer then?

LineOf7s(Posted 2012) [#14]
Well think about this: if you had a need for a model viewer, were prepared to pay for one if you needed to, and after a Google search you came up with some alternatives (free, paid-for or even no alternatives at all), would you buy YOURS?

If yes, then win! It's quite possible there's a bunch of people out there thinking similarly. Make a list of the things that made you want to use your model viewer over anything else out there and spruik those features to all and sundry.

If no, then why not? Were the alternatives cheaper? Free? Open-source? Did they have features yours didn't? Were they faster, more polished? Did they present themselves more professionally? Did they look more like "one you'd pay money for" than yours did?

In a world full of the free, one's product needs to have something else to prise cash out of people's clenched fists. Even if people are convinced to pay, then you're competing with other products out there that also cost money. Give yourself a point of difference - as many as you sensibly can - and make sure people hear about your shiny new product, and yeah, it sounds like a good opportunity to make some sales.

If you don't have anything to offer, however, then perhaps the better long-term plan is to keep bashing away at things until you do. Bear in mind that everything you code that teaches you something - however small - is A Good Thing, and is one step closer.

Don't be afraid to suck for a long time. :o)

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#15]

Etch-A-Sketch

Ditch that pronto.... HASBRO are renowned for C&D letters, and will more then likely tell you to off hire that anyway.

Think I'm kidding, the creator of GLBasic had an app that resembled the board game Operation (The "Your the doctor" game), he had the word 'operation' in his search tags and voila, a notice to remove the word winged it's way to him.

Overall, I personally dont see this as a bad attempt for someone who has just come from another language, so, all in all, well done IMO!

Don't be afraid to suck for a long time. :o)

Yep, keep going though, you never know, if you dont shoot, you dont score! :)

Dabz

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#16]
would you buy YOURS?

Because it would be unique in it's own way. I have began working on a model viewer/converter software just last night and have finished the main converting part about 3:00AM this morning! LineOf7s, I'LL SHOW YOU!!!! ILL MAKE THE BEST MODEL CONVERTER AVAILABLE!!!!!!! AND I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!!!!!!! MY SOFTWARE, MY RULES!!!!!

I don't mean to be horribly rude but this is true and I plan to succeed and I have already succeeded because I have the ability to do what I have been doing by making my own software.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#17]
double post

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#18]
I'd be interested in that model converter then, I guess. If it's really as good as you say it'll be, I'd have no problem shelling out money for it.

But it has to be unique. That's a hint I'd like to give you.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#19]
just wait and see.....

LineOf7s(Posted 2012) [#20]
LineOf7s, I'LL SHOW YOU!!!! ILL MAKE THE BEST MODEL CONVERTER AVAILABLE!!!!!!! AND I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!!!!!!! MY SOFTWARE, MY RULES!!!!!

Oh I'm sorry. There seems to have been some sort of misunderstanding. I neglected to take into account that you're a fuxing infant.

My bad. Carry on.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#21]

I'LL SHOW YOU!!!! ILL MAKE THE BEST MODEL CONVERTER AVAILABLE!!!!!!! AND I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!!!!!!! MY SOFTWARE, MY RULES!!!!!

I don't mean to be horribly rude but this is true and I plan to succeed and I have already succeeded because I have the ability to do what I have been doing by making my own software.

Captain Wicker, I know you have been on these boards for a while but seriously I think you need a bit of a reality check.

Whilst what you have done (to my knowledge) is finish two projects, that is a really great achievement. There are some really talented people on these forums who have yet to start and finish any projects. So well done to you.

However that is where my praise for you immediately stops.

To say you have succeeded because of your ability. I am pleased you are confident in your skills, however may I remind you that your Pong game was basically cobbled together by you asking for help on this forum at every single turn. Are you really that good?

I once made a 2 player coop and 8 player battle mode pong/arkanoid style clone. Whilst I did get paid for making it, sales wise it probably didn't do so well because it was an old skool style of game. However without meaning to be too critical, graphically and gameplay wise it is incomparable to yours and I made that over a decade ago. To honestly think that you could sell a non web browser game of that quality in this day and age which was mostly not created by yourself is just madness.

To put things in perspective as others have done, there are free versions better than yours. Without belittling your efforts. I could create a better pong game and better etch a sketch program in probably a few hours, most people here could, and I could even cobble together some better graphics in MSPaint since I am a 'fairly' decent artist as well. To think that you can expect people to buy your product when most people here could that for free. It really is madness, and seeing a post you made just now in block capitals. I can't help but shake my head at you.
A quick look at your profile and I see you changed your profile names about 20 times, a look at your website reveals a blog with 0 posts and a forum with 0 posts and members. It was like that when I looked at it a few months ago. Make a free website links and uploading your games to mediashare etc, everything just screams amateur.

Whilst I am not trying to put you down or anything, it is plainly obvious to see that you are a novice programmer who doesn't understand the real world yet. I think you need a bit of a reality check. By all means have fun programming, but don't think you are something special because you are not, and pissing off the very people who helped you with your projects is not the way to go about things.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#22]
sales wise it probably didn't do so well because it was an old skool style of game.

I can see how that would play out. :(
may I remind you that your Pong game was basically cobbled together by you asking for help on this forum at every single turn.

I am a fast learner at things like this when I want to be. ;) That was one of my first 2d games ever. I will admit that it still has a minor collision bug somewhere only with the images that I have for paddles. I wouldn't say every single turn. It took hard effort for me to pull something like that off for the first time. Retro games are some of the easiest to create however, they are not as popular. I knew this when I was making that game and also knew that it would not sell as many copies as a modern high end PC game. End of story.
it is plainly obvious to see that you are a novice programmer

I stay inside all day long and have nothing else to do. :P
who doesn't understand the real world yet.

lol, i'm only 15.
pissing off the very people who helped you with your projects

Project and that was not intentional. I had no help whatsoever with my image converter nor am I asking for help with my model converter/viewer on this forum. You and I both know that a model converter/viewer and image converter tools are not easy to create and not once have I posted on this forum for help with it.
I think you need a bit of a reality check.

It's not just me, I'm sure a few of the other people on this forum may need one as well. ;)
By all means have fun programming

I have :)
0 posts and members

3 members and 1 banned member.
Make a free website links and uploading your games to mediashare etc

There isn't anything wrong about advertising the people who made my site possible and my website isn't free, I recently registered a domain name. There is nothing wrong with uploading free version, demo, and trial software/games to mediafire, dropbox or anything else as long as it requires activation and that is all I can afford. :(

EDIT: To make you all satisfied, I have abandoned this project. :P

Last edited 2012

Ginger Tea(Posted 2012) [#23]
Retro games are some of the easiest to create however, they are not as popular. I knew this when I was making that game and also knew that it would not sell as many copies as a modern high end PC game. End of story.

I have long stated that remaking the gazillionth pong break out space invaders gauntlet etc are very good stepping stones in the world of coding especialy 2D game coding, they allow numerous ideas to be realised as you have already laid down the ground work for future games.

EG, what is break out but pong against a wall and what is space invaders but breakout where the bricks shoot back.

Selling however, feh, who would buy a vanilla pong when you can mame it for 'free' same goes for a Gauntlet style game, coding a gauntlet game helps you as a programmer, but not as a money earner.
Levels? 2D arrays
2D arrays begat desire to work on a level editor etc.

EDIT: To make you all satisfied, I have abandoned this project. :P

At first I thought you meant the image converter and thought "surely you jest." [don't call me shirley] and yes I did see the smilie, but I forgot that was the other thread I just posted in.

again iir it was line of 7 who posted a "Can I find what I want already?" post
again coding it to learn how it works, bitmaps in this case, you never know if/when this code could come in handy later on in the day, but to us the end users, what can we get now that your's cannot for the same, less or free?
know your competition is there a need for a jpg to archaich file format converter?

but also know that a file converter is a handy piece of code to have in a basic paint program, hell most are all for the photo retouching that to get one set up for basic pixel art is a pain, afaik graphics gale is the one to look to when wanting retro pixel art.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#24]
At first I thought you meant the image converter and thought "surely you jest."

No i'm never going to abandon Smart Image. It will be alive until the day I die! In fact, I am trying to somehow find a way to publish it with Share-it! I do see what ENAY was trying to tell me. Great advice! :)
Nobody in their right mind would pay money for a virtual etch a sketch or pong remake. I will highly consider releasing them for free soon. :D

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#25]
No i'm never going to abandon Smart Image. It will be alive until the day I die!

It'd better become the industry standard in this field, or else there's little reason to keep that project alive.

I personally think it's better to create something that is truly saying something about you, in whatever way that may be. "Orion's Gate" is not just a game that I'm trying to pull together. To me it holds special meaning because it contains a lot of my own research into a lot of subjects, built into the storyline. It's my very own vision of a possible future not too far away (if only in a metaphorical way).

To me, this is enough reason to keep the project alive, to make it something unique. I already know I'll never be among the bigshots, neither will it make me one of the richest persons in the world. That's not the intention. The intention is to get a story out there. A vision. A sandbox to allow other like-minded people to take part in the story.

If people pay for that, great. If not, that's cool too. In the end of the day I can say that I did something, had a vision, and pulled it together. What people make of it is entirely up to them.

I'm not sure if an image converter can hold the same meaning to you, but if it does, then by all means, keep going and make it something. Not to sound too bad or anything, it is true that there are quite some converters out there. Be careful when you say that you keep it alive "until the day you die".

That's quite some time frame - I'm not sure you want to work on the tool still when you're 65 (unless you built a massive empire around image conversion and blew all others out of the water - scenario: unlikely).

It depends on what you believe in.

My personal belief and appeal to us as a whole is to invest into the exploration of space (because, in the end of the day, it is what we SHOULD be doing). So I'm creating something around the truest of my beliefs. Again, what people make of it, is their own cup of tea.

Find something that you'd stand for in 10 years, 20 years, maybe even 50 years from now. What that is... only you know that. But build something around that and keep building things around that.

That would be my advise to you.

WERDNA(Posted 2012) [#26]
@CaptainWicker

A bit of advice for you from a seasoned blitzer. I was a right whelk when I
first joined these forums 6-7 years ago, and many people hated\made fun of me.
And rightfully so! I was an obnoxious git!

That said, I came to realize that most of the members here knew a hell of a
lot more than me about coding, so it was in my best interests to swallow my
pride, and accept any and all advice that they were kind enough to offer.

Be humble. Do not spout the glory of your projects, because you still have a lot
to learn. There are some awesome members here who make their living designing
games, and it took them a while to reach that point.

It took me 6-7 years before I dared to try and sell a game, because everything
previous to that was, to be frank, either unfinished, or crap (but in my defense, at least it was amusing crap).

Right now focus on improving yourself, and being very very kind to anyone
who offers you some heartfelt advice.

That's my bit of advice from a former noob,

The Mighty Werdna (Lord of Darkness)

Kittomer(Posted 2012) [#27]
Completely OT, but...

It's funny, really.
No matter what community you stumble over, whether it be for some online game, or for artists, for programmers or engineers, for industrial machining, a well known sci-fi franchise, remote controlled helicopters, pets or frickin people who feel like they are an animal inside, you always find the same basic things.

Human condition and all that.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2012) [#28]
no no no, it's remote controlled taxidermied cat helicopers