Objecty - level editor concept demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Objecty - level editor concept demo

skn3(Posted 2012) [#1]
I am currently putting the finishing touches on a campaign video for indiegogo (similar to kickstarter) to try and get some financial backing for Objecty.

In the video I want to demonstrate some of the features that will be added if I can get enough funding. I spent about 4-5 hours today adding a level editor demo into Objecty

This is a fully functioning editor and it ties into Objecty's existing texture packing so tiles are single surface packed instead of an image-strip. This means we can also do cool stuff like edge colour bleeding on each tile!

Eventually I could expand it to allow placing of sprites, shapes and boned characters. If it took me 4 hours to get here, imagine what a months worth of development would achieve!

Objecty does all of exporting via lua scripts so it will be really easy to support the wealth of runtimes out there. The scripts folder is available to the public so there are no limitations on what exporters you can write.

AltanilConard(Posted 2012) [#2]
Very good, it looks like an essential tool that is missing.
Will it come with a BMax and Monkey importer?
Still not 100% sure what objecty is capable of, it'd be nice to see a demo of some sorts soon.

Dont forget to post indiegogo link when its there :)

*(Posted 2012) [#3]
Reminds me of DyEd Graveyard Dogs's dynamic editor LOL

matibee(Posted 2012) [#4]
How is Objecty itself doing? I'm in the market for a bones based sprite editor.

skn3(Posted 2012) [#5]
Heya,

Does look a bit like dyed! Seems everyone's making an editor :))

Matibee, objecty is doing good the boned stuff is in but still in progress. Currently putting all my effort In to this campaign video (which will post soon)... To try an raise some dosh to buy me some time to progress the boned and level editors.

If you are looking for a boned editor in the immediate future then objecty will do it but you might by waiting a while.

matibee(Posted 2012) [#6]
Hi Jon. We can wait. I've got one in the works actually but would rather pay you for your efforts and save me a whole ton of work at the same time. We're a long way from needing it today but please sign me up for any beta test. It's just a shame I don't have any need for a tile editor at all and that part of Objecty is holding up the bit I do want :)

All the best with it.

skn3(Posted 2012) [#7]
Haha Id rather you paid me too HAHA L:D

Thanks for the support it really helps! Out of interest, what kind of features would you really like to see in a boned animator?

I will be getting a forum up soon so that the backers of said campaign can get access to contribute stuff, but have to do it on forum topics beforehand as its currently in a todolist!

matibee(Posted 2012) [#8]
Have you ever used Milkshape? I was kind of aiming for a 2d version of that. I can load a bitmap, select rectangular regions to become pieces of the puppet as well as define the bone that runs through it.

From there I was just going to tag the pieces together at the bones ends and implement basic keyframe animation (did I say just? :/ ) Being able to scale, mirror and hide segments would be useful.

skn3(Posted 2012) [#9]
Yeah I have used milkshape a bit, more of a 3dsmax guy though. Same principle though.

Well currently I am going with the approach of importing your character elements into a texture map and then defining hotspots (anchor points) in the hotspot editor.

In the actor editor you can then piece the bits together but currently there is no defined/separate bone structure. It is more like a shadow puppet:

This way can deal with boned animations or just pieces placed with no attachment.

lol and then I JUST have to do basic key framing and tweening hehe!

How does that sound?

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012