War In Space - All Around The Moon

Community Forums/Showcase/War In Space - All Around The Moon

Tricky(Posted 2012) [#1]

As a kid I once developped a game called "War in Space" in GW-BASIC (you remember those days?) Maybe the title is a bit silly, but hey English is not my native language and in those days I was happy with every English word I knew :)
And as you can see the name always remained :)
It was a character-based game, but it was fun.

Now as an adult (or at least I'm supposed to be) I decided to remake that game with the possibilities BlitzMax provides. 'All around the moon' is the codename of this remake as this version is for a big part written in Lua (which means 'moon' in Portuguese).

War in Space is a classic space shooting game, however this one is mouse controlled and it has been released under the terms of the GNU General Public license.

A few features:
- You can choose between 3 pilots, each of them has her own pro and con
- Game starts extremely easy, but it will get harder
- The game has a patching engine allowing you to 'modify' the game without 'destroying' the original, this requires JCR5 and a proper documentation has yet to be written about this subject.
- There are 'Random Bonus' pads, shooting them can work in your advantage as well as your disadvantage
- You can earn 'Trophies' otherwise known as 'Achievements'. Can you get them all?

Now this is only a spare time project, still I am interested into seeing if this game can be improved at some points, so if you have ideas, tell me. Please note, comments like 'this game is cool' or 'it sucks' are worthless, I need pointers :P (Perhaps I'm a bit spoiled after being a reviewer for a site that tried to be semi-professional on the reviewing front) :)

Ideas that crossed my mind
- Emergency savegame
- New pilots, though I haven't yet any ideas of their pros and cons
- New enemies
- New 'random bonus' effects
- Audio and music

All as I said, as the game is released under the GNU terms you can download it for free: Click here