Herororobot METAL Justice

Community Forums/Showcase/Herororobot METAL Justice

Schwang(Posted 2012) [#1]
I made a short 5-minute beat-em-up inspired by Golden Axe & Double Dragon in BlitzMax. Grab it here: http://dukeofprunes.yolasite.com/

Crits awaaay!

Amon(Posted 2012) [#2]
Love It! :)

Schwang(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thanks Amon. It's the closest I've ever been to a thing that's "complete", and yet it's really only a first level when you put it next to the average brawler. Glad you liked it!

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
Great job!

Couple of small suggestions:

* Hide the mouse cursor
* Refine the keys, my left hand doesnt fit Z,X,S nicely, something like Z,X,C would be better

Schwang(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thanks therevills. I assigned S to jump because when I used ZXC I'd get confused between which key was block and which was jump. but you're right. It's cramped this way. I reckon ZDC would be much better.

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2012) [#6]
This was pretty good. Hopefully you plan to expand upon it?

Schwang(Posted 2012) [#7]
Thankyou OldNESJunkie. This old thing's been in the works for years (sometimes with months of inactivity). It'd be better to move on to something new to focus on instead so it probably won't get much more love anytime soon.

Kittomer(Posted 2012) [#8]
That is pretty nifty in its simplicity! The clean graphics and the harmonizing style elements work well.

Schwang(Posted 2012) [#9]
Kittomer, just did what I was able to, which isn't much, but I'm really glad to hear it paid off. Thanks!

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#10]
bfxr is way cool, never seen it until now. i always saw sfxr.

http://www.bfxr.net/

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#11]
Nice little game :). Would of like to be able to define the controls though :).

Schwang(Posted 2012) [#12]
Adam, I used the downloadable version of bfxr. Amazing tool, just like its granddaddy sfxr.
The secret to really great sounds is to forget about the preset buttons and use the Randomize button instead, then adjusting the sliders when you hit something cool. You won't believe some of the sounds it can make.

You're right Neuro, definable keys would be the best.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#13]
You're right Neuro, definable keys would be the best.

And control pad support too :)

Also, a typical favorite action i also tend to use (ahem, * abuse *) in these types of games is the throwing action. Would be cool if can incorporate into a future version of the game, thus allowing for more than 3 enemies at a time on the screen at once :).

I did noticed that the enemies will still approach you even if you haven't moved at all. So you can potentially clear out a whole area and then have to walk for a little while before reaching the end of it. Perhaps adding some triggers so that enemies will appear when to get to a certain section of the area so that they all don't come at you at once?

BTW, what did you use to pack the game files :)?

Last edited 2012

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#14]
:(

Schwang(Posted 2012) [#15]
Neuro, the throwing action I've in there now was just the start. I had intended to allow Zangief-like spinning piledrivers and some basic wrestling type moves, but I realized it would involve too much work for a project that's really intended to teach me some basic programming skills.

All the game files are packed with BlitzMax's own "Incbin" syntax, so nothing fancy there :]

Jesse, why the sad face?

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#16]
Look at my sig specs.
No Windows

Last edited 2012

Schwang(Posted 2012) [#17]
Jesse, BlitzMax can compile to Mac as well, but I don't have access to a machine and haven't done it before. Using Windows, do you know of a way I can make a Mac-compatible binary?