Dark Residence

Community Forums/Showcase/Dark Residence

zwische(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hey, I would like to show you a game I have been working on for a few years now. The genre is something like a retro-style zombie-action-game. ;)

Here is a short description:

Branshire, Maine: Local Machinist Frank Hayes wakes up in a nightmare. Zombies everywhere! Led by his friend Sam via radio, he tries to reach the evacuation point where Sam is awaiting him. But Sam's radio messages get more confusing the further Frank gets to his destination. What is wrong with Sam and where do all these Zombies come from?

Controlled from a bird's eye perspective you have to lead Frank through hordes of zombies and other creatures. Various weapons that range from pistols to rocket launchers help you with that task. Use the keyboard to walk and the mouse to aim. The difficulty level is deliberately kept very high, as is the amount of blood and body parts flying apart:). In the additional multiplayer mode, it is on you to bring down your opponents in good old deathmatch style.

Features are:
- A story-campaign + several additional maps
- Scripted events and cutscenes
- Editor to create your own maps
- 3 levels of difficulty: 'Normal', 'Hard' and 'Extreme' incl. unlockable Modifiers
- Various types of weapons and enemies
- Deathmatch multiplayer mode

Here are some screenshots: (click on image to enlarge)

The game is nearly done (only the final level is missing).

Try it out by clicking on the following link:
http://www.bitbybit-creations.net/?seite=download&link=dark_residence_0_07&lang=en

If the game crashes after you have selected a level, you have to install the Xvid-Codec to play the ingame-videos: http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

For further info and screenshots, click on the link below:
http://www.bitbybit-creations.net/?seite=dark_residence&lang=en

Tell me if you like it or if you found bugs! :)

If you find spelling/grammar mistakes in the game, please tell them too (I'm not a native english speaker)

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2012) [#2]
Looks like you put a lot of work into it. Alien breed with zombies, basically.

col(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hiya,

Aww, Im gutted... I like the AlienBreed type games and so I wanted to try this but :-

I downloaded to my desktop, extracted to its own folder using WinRar, I've tried both batch files and the Game.exe file... the game loads in as expected... going through the menus to get to the game I click -> SinglePlayer -> Campaign -> Start -> Normal -> the title drops down and the background distorts then I get MAV while the graphics are still onscreen.

During the initial load game in full screen mode - the load progress bar flashes on and off durign resizing... looks quite effective actually, but doesnt happen in windowed mode.

Win7 - SonyVaio VGN-FW31M

Last edited 2012

zwische(Posted 2012) [#4]
Hi,

the first level begins with a cutscene which needs the xvid-codec to work.
download it from http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

then it should work

Last edited 2012

col(Posted 2012) [#5]
Hiya,

Yep, that worked, thanks.
Neat game. Well done!

zwische(Posted 2012) [#6]
Ninja Update!

Just fixed a major bug that could lead to a game-crash or the player being stuck.

Link is the same

Tab(Posted 2012) [#7]
Wow, great work zwische, the game atmosphere is perfect.

zwische(Posted 2012) [#8]
Thx, I am glad you like it :)

Kittomer(Posted 2012) [#9]
Looks familiar! I think I saw an early version of this. Looks good!

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#10]
The ambiance is good, but after some time the game runs slowly !

Last edited 2012

zwische(Posted 2012) [#11]
@Kittomer: That may well be. I published an early version about 2 years ago.

@RemCoder: Can you tell me, when exactly the game ran slowly? Was it a specific level or a certain situation (many zombies on screen etc) ?

Thx for testing!

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#12]
Zwische>>Maybe it was because of too many zombies on the screen, but it is strange considering your video game has only basic 2d graphics...

Oh and i also like the sounds :)

zwische(Posted 2012) [#13]
It may be the pathfinding then. I will try to optimize there

Tab(Posted 2012) [#14]
One thing that i can recommend is to improve the sound of the fire when you break a gas pipe, the current sound is annoying.

zwische(Posted 2012) [#15]
Yeah, that has been on my todo-list forever. I also need to change the graphics.

Mainsworthy(Posted 2012) [#16]
screenshots look realy good, I may try it later thx.

Tab(Posted 2012) [#17]
I ended the beta the other day and the only problem that i found was the sound of the fire.

Great game, i am waiting the final level. :)

Last edited 2012

zwische(Posted 2012) [#18]
Cool, glad you like it ;)

haven't tried a new sound yet, but I'm putting in some roleplaying elements at the moment for single- and multiplayer. So you can level up and upgrade health, damage and movement speed.

Will upload an updated version in a few weeks

WERDNA(Posted 2012) [#19]
I tried and liked it, but it would be awesome if it could save. was a bit bummed out that it couldn't.

steve_ancell(Posted 2012) [#20]
I get Memeory Access Violation when I click Start.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#21]
WinXP, Vista or 7 ? x86 or x64 ?

zwische(Posted 2012) [#22]
@WERDNA:
The missing save-function is intentionally, because a level is only about 10 minutes long. Also those 3 continues that you have for a level would be useless, because you could then just load a savegame if you died :)

@steve_ancell:
You need Xvid-Codec to play the ingame-videos. You can download it from: http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

WERDNA(Posted 2012) [#23]
Good point zwische, lol.

I'm looking forward to that last level ;)