Objecty gets boned

Community Forums/Showcase/Objecty gets boned

skn3(Posted 2012) [#1]
I posted about my app Objecty a while ago now and just thought I would post an update as I made something exciting this afternoon!

I have been hard at work in the last 3 or so months since my previous post. I have been building up the framework that Objecty uses. Its got to the stage now where I can really quickly add things and have everything interact.

Objecty is amazingly powerful and really easy to use. Here's a little example with pictures:

I can add a texture node and add some image nodes to it

I can define any number of hotspots on my image nodes

I can then create a sprite node which is for working with pixel based animations. To that sprite node I can add animation nodes and reuse the image nodes that were already added to the texture node.

Or if I want to be adventurous I can build an actor node out of image nodes with a bone structure. This allows me to piece together a larger "character" out of smaller bits and animate it using keyframing and/or tweening.

The bone editor has been coded in the last 2 or 3 hours (from scratch) so there is not much detail to it yet. This was incredibly satisfying as the hard work with the Objecty framework is starting to pay off!

Well that's all for now :D

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

matibee(Posted 2012) [#2]
That looks really good.

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#3]
Yeah... Looks good that! :)

Objecty gets boned

Quick question... Who's Objecty, and are they sore? :D

Dabz

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#4]
are you going to export code to replicate the animations in monkey as well as exporting images?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2012) [#5]
Wow, there are some amazing developments of late on these forums of late

matibee(Posted 2012) [#6]
are you going to export code to replicate the animations in monkey as well as exporting images?

I hope its going to export to a bones based format. It would be a crying shame if it didn't.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2012) [#7]
Yeah would be much better if it exported the code for the animation and then just used the bits of the image rather than creating an animation strip.

that being said I think having the ability for both would be really nice.

skn3(Posted 2012) [#8]
Hey well the exporter uses lua scripts so it's really down to the lua script how it decides to export the attributes and how it wants to generate images. There are no "bones" Per se but you can piece together the sprites like bones so if you wanted to work this way then there is no stopping you!

Anyone can write exporters btw... Here is a simple example for the atlasNode:

Not sure if the previous paragraph made sense? what I meant was that it's not like rigging a sprite to separate bone structure. The sprites are the bones. You can also work with detached bones much like the way that new spriter app does it!

The main emphasis at the start will be to export position and rotation "frames". I think that data would be the most universal way for people to get it into various engines!

Baking the images into a "frames strip" is not favourable but it will probably be one of the exporters available :)

Lol @ who's objecty and is he sore! Maybe I should rethink my topic title.

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012