3D World Studio gets smooth groups

Community Forums/Showcase/3D World Studio gets smooth groups

JoshK(Posted 2012) [#1]
My Blitz-written CSG tools are getting smooth groups, something that has been requested for a long time to make curved surfaces:
http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/blog/1/entry-869-smooth-move

Amon(Posted 2012) [#2]
Cool! Been an owner of 3DWS for donkeys years and can safely say it is a Solid bit of Software.

Hats off to you for the update and for your unrivaled, to me personally, dedication to your work.

Gonna test this out now! :)

Amon(Posted 2012) [#3]
Ok! So far so good, although, when I am exiting and not saving I keep getting a popup error saying "Wrong Thread!".

Other than that the new features seem to work. Will keep on testing and report back any other issues I find.

[edit]Man I was using a very old version. Just checked and you're up to .56. This is the version I'm testing now, was on .42 before. A definite speed/stability improvement.

Can't wait for the further features. :)

Last edited 2012

*(Posted 2012) [#4]
Very nice :D

Zmatrix(Posted 2012) [#5]
Looks good Josh, 3dws always stays on my system.

Sam

matibee(Posted 2012) [#6]
Looking very good Josh. This might be a silly question, but, this is all with MaxGUI isn't it?

I've embarked on a major long term project with MaxGUI and seeing things like this gives me the confidence to keep pushing on knowing I'm unlikely to hit any project breaking barriers.

Keep up the good work.

JoshK(Posted 2012) [#7]
Looking very good Josh. This might be a silly question, but, this is all with MaxGUI isn't it?

Yes, it's a totally underrated library. Why are all these "web apps" popping up? Because developers can't deal with C#/.NET and Obj-C/Cocoa. MaxGUI solves all these problems, but nobody seems to realize its potential.

Last edited 2012

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#8]

MaxGUI solves all these problems, but nobody seems to realize its potential.

... and now, in theory, it could be turned into a DLL and used from C/C++, etc.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#9]
... and now, in theory, it could be turned into a DLL and used from C/C++, etc.

I guess similarly this could be turned into Linux' library equivalent. GNUstep will have to chew long and hard on that one.

matibee(Posted 2012) [#10]
but nobody seems to realize its potential

I think WE do :)

I'd love to post some screen shots of my latest project but I'm really some months away to prevent any distractions. It's in native BMax/MaxGUI but I've easily been able to make the UI exactly what I want it to be. The linux port may not be plain sailing but I can live with that minor niggle.

Last edited 2012

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#11]
It is shame that you cant Import B3D Models instead of Cartography Shop Map(.CSM)! :(

JoshK(Posted 2012) [#12]
It is shame that you cant Import B3D Models instead of Cartography Shop Map(.CSM)! :(

The ConvertModels.exe utility will convert .b3d models to a loadable format. Just put your .b3d models in a subfolder in the "Models" directory and run it.

Here's some more info on new compound primitives in the editor:
http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/blog/1/entry-873-totally-tubular

Doggie(Posted 2012) [#13]
Has anyone got a 3dWS level with first person shooter code so I can see how well it might work out to make my own game with it?
Something I can experiment with.
Thanks

DOG

Blitzplotter(Posted 2012) [#14]
The ConvertModels.exe utility will convert .b3d models to a loadable format. Just put your .b3d models in a subfolder in the "Models" directory and run it.

Absolutely awesome - I Soooo need to finish my goddamn open learning degree so I can get back to what I love playing with.

And, Josh - you sir make stuff I'm looking forward to playing with this Autumn when school's finally out for moi.

Very interesting read on your link from the first post. I like your point:

Why are all these "web apps" popping up? Because developers can't deal with C#/.NET and Obj-C/Cocoa. MaxGUI solves all these problems, but nobody seems to realize its potential.

;)

Wiebo(Posted 2012) [#15]
Developing web apps is not simpler than developing in C#/.NET etc. I think that not being dependant on MS or Apple is the driver.

JoshK(Posted 2012) [#16]
Developing web apps is not simpler than developing in C#/.NET etc

I'm saying it's simpler because you only deal with on user interface that runs on everything, instead of diving into multiple proprietary ecosystem languages that only exist to constrict you into one OS.

JoshK(Posted 2012) [#17]
Here's some more cool stuff:
http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/blog/1/entry-883-justify-my-love-of-constructive-solid-geometry-modeling