idea for a community project

Community Forums/Showcase/idea for a community project

stayne(Posted 2012) [#1]
I have an idea for a Blitz3D app that might prove to be fun for all. A playable sandbox-like world editor and game combined. I spoke with Ross C about this via email and he agrees it would be something to pursue.

The project (named something like GridForge, GridWorld, etc):

The user has a free flying camera (within the editor of course, gravity and collisions kick in when exiting the editor).

Once the editor is active, an array of points appears everywhere in 3D space. Click a point and it creates a selectable vertex (selected by default with a little number beside it). Click the next point and a new vertex is created with a line in between. Click the next point and the third vertex is created - then finally click the fourth point and a selectable quad (or triangle with 3 points selected) is created by hitting a key. The user can build structures this way. Imagine the entire world being filled with these points in a 3D grid-type array that has an adjustable density. The user will be able to create terrain, water, structures, etc just by utilizing the points in 3D space. After a quad is created, it can be selected, textured, and manipulated only on the grid by dragging the vertexes in a snapping fashion. The 3D points could be simple little square sprites or native cubes. When launched for the first time you are presented with a skybox only, perhaps standing on a small quad to prevent falling initially. After than you enter the editor and start building.

Any takers? I have been dying for a project to build on publicly! We will need textures, music, etc. No models required thank goodness.

Kind of a mixture of sketchup, minecraft, 3D World Studio and a few other odds and ends. Would be nice to have AO generated on the fly. Also the user should be able to set the gravity for any created object.

Last edited 2012

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#2]
I may be able to help out on this. I do feel you will need some kind of mass creation tools, as creating a world just with clicking to create triangles/quads could take a while. I was looking at nuclear basic the other day again and i'm seriously considering buying it. It has a built in physics engine and very blitz3d like commands.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#3]

I was looking at nuclear basic the other day again and i'm seriously considering buying it. It has a built in physics engine and very blitz3d like commands.

I'd recommend it. It has huge potential.

stayne(Posted 2012) [#4]
True Ross but I must say working with the Sauerbraten engine was neat and has a similar creation feel to it. Creating worlds from scratch and on the fly is great fun in my opinion. Regardless, everything (including models) has to be created initially anyway quad by quad.

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#5]
Shame BRL lost the source for Maplet, that would of been a great place to start!

Dabz

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#6]
If I were to attempt it, i'd stick with a minecraft type thing. I have very little experience with the ability to cut shapes out of other shapes in 3D :S which is what Maplet was great for!

Regaring creating everything quad by quad, alot of modelling tools I've used have tools to speed up the modelling process. One of them lets you draw lines and create the mesh from the difference in these lines. My maths is pretty weak around that stuff.

What would be the purpose of the editor? Would it export a .b3d file? Would it be part of the game? Maybe a game where you create the land around you as you walk, with limited pieces perhaps (like lemmings in a way)?

Last edited 2012

stayne(Posted 2012) [#7]
Yes Ross, it will be a playable game. That was my intention...to allow the player to create the land, structures and all that in-game. The editor would be mainly just the grid points. Would be neat to create a box in mid-air in the editor, set the gravity, then close the editor and watch it fall to the ground ya know?

If a monster is coming your way, just open up the editor and create a weapon. Close the editor, grab it and hack. Or just create a big heavy object above its head :). The possibilities would be enormous. Need a bridge? Build one a few points above the gap and set the gravity. Close the editor and the bridge settles to the ground. Want to destroy a bridge? Create something extremely heavy above it, close the editor and *crash*.

Perhaps it would be a better idea to start a new world with a randomly generated terrain along with the skybox?

Last edited 2012

kfprimm(Posted 2012) [#8]
I have a basic Maplet clone I've been working on.

https://github.com/kfprimm/mapletce

You'll need to grab all my modules to build it yourself or you can download a basic build here.

Standard Maplet controls. Press L to place a light and 'Space' to lightmap.

Last edited 2012

Matty(Posted 2012) [#9]
You say no models required...but then you mention monsters...would you need models for monsters..or would these be user created as well?

Oh...your description reminds me of crayon physics a little too which I played on gamedev.net a long time ago or something similar anyway.

Last edited 2012