Rob the Robot

Community Forums/Showcase/Rob the Robot

Nate the Great(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hey everyone. Its been a while since I've posted, but I've still been working on a few projects. Here are the screenshots of one we are doing which is planned to be complete at the end of February.

This game is a physics puzzle platformer where you are a robot named Rob and you live on an abandoned trashed planet. Rob used to have a great life, living and working among humans but the humans abandoned the planet and left him behind. Since discovering your former boss's plans for a rocket ship, you go in search of the parts you need to make the rocket to escape this desolate planet.

Still haven't figured out a name for the game but a demo is due by the end of February and the full thing should be done by March.

Last edited 2012

Matty(Posted 2012) [#2]
Looks good.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#3]
Looks nice, although *way* too dark on my screen.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#4]
Call it "Wall-E-Bot" :)!

big10p(Posted 2012) [#5]
Yes, way too dark.

Nate the Great(Posted 2012) [#6]
Sorry about the darkness, we have a brightness slider in the game but on my screen it looks normal. I guess we should test the brightness on different screens to set the default.

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#7]
Sorry about the darkness, we have a brightness slider in the game but on my screen it looks normal. I guess we should test the brightness on different screens to set the default.

Yeah, strongly recommend taking a look at that.

On my machine, In the bottom picture I can't even see the difference between the wall behind the robot and the floor he is standing on -- it just looks like he's floating against a black background in that shot.

RifRaf(Posted 2012) [#8]
Nate, I wouldnt worry about it .. just have a calibration menu pop up the first time the player runs the game.. it doesnt matter how many monitors you check some players will think its too bright and others too dark.

Last edited 2012

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#9]

Nate, I wouldnt worry about it .. just have a calibration menu pop up the first time the player runs the game.. it doesnt matter how many monitors you check some players will think its too bright and others too dark.

+1

MadJack(Posted 2012) [#10]
There's not enough contrast between walkable space/platform surfaces and impassable barriers - particularly in the second screenshot.

Secondly, if your color palette is predominantly grey and brown, then I hope your main character/narrative has enough personal charm to make up for that - possibly something along the lines of Marvin the Robot. Else your main audience is going to be 'people who like physics based 2d platformers but have a depressive personality'.

Last edited 2012

K(Posted 2012) [#11]
Awesome. Reminds me of Machinarium.

AntonyWells(Posted 2012) [#12]
If one more person uses my map based lighting theorem without accrediting me or spoiling me with dollars, I shall....post a very dirty limerick.