Scope 2D

Community Forums/Showcase/Scope 2D

shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello,

I spent the last couple of months creating a level editor for my game and thought it would be worth sharing with other game developers.

Scope 2D is a non-tile based level editor, this means you can place your graphics pixel-perfect where you want them. Still you can use the built in Grid to let your graphics snap to it. Other features:

* Tools: Select, Move, Scale, Rotate
* XML based level format
* Undo/Redo
* Intuitive User Interface
* For Windows & Mac
* Define Custom properties of a level (like music, etc.)

Also be sure to read the Getting started part of the docs before using Scope 2D.

Any feedback is welcome.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#2]
Looking good so far. How do you guys manage to release all this good stuff for free? At the other hand - I like free Software :)

shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#3]
In fact my intent was to sell it, but then I thought maybe more people will use it if it's free.
Oh .. and thanks for the compliments.

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#4]
Nice website, though I didn't directly realized the thumbnails were actually links to larger images. Also had some loading times.

Editor looks nice as well. Seem a bit basic at functionality but wouldn't really know what other features one would instantly need :-). Has it been written in BlitzMax?

shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#5]
Yes, the editor is written in BlitzMax and yes, it only has basic functionality and some rough edges (still in alpha).
My main intent was a cross platform editor which is not for tile games.

For the loading times: I suspect it is the larger images which causes them, also the script to enlarge them takes quite some space (around 600kb).

As a side note: HTML and CSS(3) are awesome. I never did something webbased before and was able to 'code' this website in around 2 weeks (including learning html and css). It's so easy and primarily fun :)

shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#6]
Alpha 2 now online with these changes:

Alpha 2:
- AutoTools: Use tools without selecting anything before
- Enhanced Scene-Properties: Redesigned GUI, Normal Properties added (Menu->Scene->Properties)
- World Borders: so you know big your world is
- Move selected objects with direction keys by 1 pixel

shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#7]
I recently updated Scope2D along with the website and the docs.
It's now Mac exclusive more or less because I haven't got the time to maintain both versions.

http://scope2d.com/