Test raycast physics tank

Community Forums/Showcase/Test raycast physics tank

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#1]
Simple tank moving over a hilly landscape using Bullet physics raycast vehicle. Better than my previous tanks in that this one exhibits proper ridge cresting behaviour and the like.

Requires Bmax + rev 716 of Xors3d.

http://area.xors3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=5155#p5155

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#2]
Is there an exe available?

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#3]
That would be sensible wouldn't it - I'll see if I can generate a link later today.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#4]
lol. Get more response, certainly.

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#5]
Squid kindly compiled an exe and link for me
http://area.xors3d.com/forums/download/file.php?id=412

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#6]
Works well, apart from the green posts - tank goes through them a little. I get 33FPS here.

josk(Posted 2011) [#7]
I think the Green posts are just waypoint markers.

Works fine here too, the tank does get stuck at the bottom of a steep incline but resets itself a few seconds later.

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#8]
josk

Yeah - there's a bit of code to check if the tank gets stuck in a deep crevice or wherever and it then attempts to reset the tank's position. I think we've all seen this sort of thing in games where the physics fails.

Steve
Green/red posts are just waypoint markers - not meant to be collidable. However I'm surprised you only get 30+fps - it's set for 60fps, but then your spec's aren't that high? Xors needs better shadows.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#9]
Yeah my specs aren't that high. It struggles at 1680 X 1050, and your demo wasn't even a full size window either. My game manages 73 FPS fullscreen 1680 X 1050. But is a simpler game, doesn't use physics and uses a different engine. Be interesting to see your demo ported ;)

Last edited 2011

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#10]
My specs aren't too high, get a good 60 fps and it pops up to 61 fps now and then. Love the way the tanks crests the hilss, fantastic attention to detail.

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#11]
fantastic attention to detail.

It wasn't really - just a few simple rules - if stalled on a slope increase force till moving again, if not heading in right direction, adjust L/R wheel rot to slew tank about - if stuck do some basic things to become unstuck - and the physics takes care of the rest