New video

Community Forums/Showcase/New video

Mr Zzz(Posted 2011) [#1]
A video of my game being played just to show the animations / gameplay.
capturing hardware not that great so its a bit blurry and dull

Click here!

new download available soon.

Last edited 2011

col(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hehe. Very cool :D
How well does it play?

Last edited 2011

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#3]
Looks kinda cool..

If your up for some critique tho, Im a big beatem up fan, and have to say that its a format that belongs firmly in a 2D (With 3D) setting, all that camera moving around and spinning is pointless and ends up distracting the player, the video actually gave me a sore head.

Keep it on a flat plane, it will play and feel a hell of a lot better.

Just my opinion of course.. other the above it looks sweet.

Mr Zzz(Posted 2011) [#4]
Hi, thank you for your input.

I am happy with the gameplay sofar, and where I intend it to go. It isn't like most modern fighting games, It's mostly like the 1990's "Panzer Kickboxing" simple realistic easy to do moves doing great damage/things :) .

I am always up for polite constructive critique.

It dosent look so bad when your playing it (i dont think) it plays at 60fps was captured on a 25fps tv converter and was incoded at 30fps twice by the time it got to youtube, so its a bit smoother in real life.

I based this game on real fights, and in real fights, circleing plays a major role.
if you watch a K 1 match GREAT FIGHT they circle a lot but the camera doesn't follow them on the side plane. if it did it would get dizzying.
In a game the camera needs to follow the fighters. part of the game play is to avoid hits by moving into the background and then countering. so i can't make it 2.5D. But I will tweek the AI so It manouvours more to try and keep in line with the camera.
Also I might make a set of very sparse block color backdrops. to reduce this effect. There a other things I can try aswell.

In all this time I never noticed this until you pointed it out. Cheers for posting.

Last edited 2011

RemiD(Posted 2011) [#5]
Your demo looks amazing Zzz, i like it :)

The animations are really well done, have you used motion capture ?

I remember these meshes, this is the demo i wasn't able to play because of the MAV.

Can you explain how do you managed to equip/unequip the armors pieces on each character ? Are the armor pieces only attached to bones ?

I noticed that the skinning of your meshes (in your previous demo) was not really good near the articulations, but i can't see it in this video so i guess that's ok.

Mr Zzz(Posted 2011) [#6]
Your demo looks amazing Zzz, i like it :)
Thanks

The animations are really well done, have you used motion capture ?

No motion capture, I made a custom animation tool then made them all by hand.

I remember these meshes, this is the demo i wasn't able to play because of the MAV.

Yeah I think I solved the problem with the MAV, I found an xp netbook that gave a MAV just as you described, it turns out that it was a problem with an alpha mapped texture. I think it will work on the next demo.

Can you explain how do you managed to equip/unequip the armors pieces on each character ? Are the armor pieces only attached to bones ?

ok This will be a long answer with fake code and lots of strange cludges...
Each limb/bone has its own energy variable, when a hit lands on a limb, It does a check to see if that limb has any child entitys attached.
if so it reads the childs name.
the name of the armor will be "ARMOR_100"
if it finds an entity with the "ARMOR_" name,
it will then go
N=Right$(last 3 digits)
;then it will go...
N=N-amount_of_damage ;
;then
if N>0 nameentity armorpiece,"ARMOR_"+N
;or
if N=<0
orig_limb=getparent(armorpiece)
nameentity armorpiece,"DEAD_ARMOR_BELONGS_TO_"+orig_limb
then I parent armorpiece to the lost armor pivot
endif
when i hit the reset button
it scans the lost armor pivot for all the armor
any it finds gets parented to the the number that comes after "DEAD_ARMOR_BELONGS_TO_"
then its renamed back to "ARMOR_100"

Lots of strange cludges.
this is how i remember it anyhow the real code is on another PC

I noticed that the skinning of your meshes (in your previous demo) was not really good near the articulations, but i can't see it in this video so i guess that's ok.

Do you mean the colors were horrible looking?
if so, Its because I did a lot of experimenting with the colors changeing them before the fights etc.

anyway I hope to have another demo up soon. It should work for you this time I hope.

RemiD(Posted 2011) [#7]

Do you mean the colors were horrible looking?

No, what i meant was the association of the vertices with the bones and the influence a bone has on some vertices near the articulations.

Anyway your demo looks good.

Mr Zzz(Posted 2011) [#8]
oh, sorry.
well the fighters body's are really just temporary. im going to be remaking the meshes with a different modeler. I found the temporary meshes looked better than I thought they would so I kept them for now.