Matt Merkulov(Posted 2011) [#1]
Here's Fallout 2 world map file with editor and media ripped from the game:

Download (2MB)

Last edited 2011

GW(Posted 2011) [#2]
pretty cool!

col(Posted 2011) [#3]
Hey Matt,
I've been looking at what you've been making with this framework and it's obviously very good at what it does. If I can suggest a feature though that would take this framework to a greater level. And that would be lighting. Building in some kind of dynamic lighting would really make your framework stand out from the crowd and I'm sure draw in lots of attention. You wouldn't necessarily need shaders as it could be done with regular bmax and lighting maps. What would really to take it to even greater heights would be normal maps ( there are plenty of normal map generators out there nowadays ), and lighting. You wouldn't even need shadows, simply putting in a lighting system would make a HUGE difference.

All the best
Dave.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#4]
Very nice, Matt. Does your framework support side-scrolling games such as Metal-Slug or Super Mario?

If I can suggest a feature though that would take this framework to a greater level. And that would be lighting. [...]

I agree with the lighting effects, but you really need shader functionality to use complex calculations per-pixel.

Take for instance the Ethanon engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMFIaxrINVU
It's 2.5D because of those special effects, and it's really impressive for something that just operates on 2D images and maps.
If you're looking for a direction to head to, this is it.

Last edited 2011

col(Posted 2011) [#5]
You wouldn't really need shaders unless you want the perfection of per-pixel lighting, you could fake the lighting like back in the old days :-) and it would work well, but I agree that it really would be so much better with using lighting in the pixel shader and the correct direction to take things.

The Ethanon and Sunburn engines gave me inspiration to build the lighting and shadows I'm working on now. I have the setup working using a 3D spatial setup ( 'similar' to how those engines are doing it ), by using just a depth map and a normal map to get the '3D' position, then use a color map to give the color, with everything uses just 2D images. This was actually surprisingly easy which gives a good effect - of course it is shader based though and its a deffered solution. Resource generation may be an isuue though, but nowadays 3d software can output normal and depth maps and there is also some softwares available that make a good job of trying to make them from color pictures - namely CrazyBump.

Last edited 2011

Matt Merkulov(Posted 2011) [#6]
Does your framework support side-scrolling games such as Metal-Slug or Super Mario?

Yes, of course, there's a level of Super Mario Bros already in demos.

Thanks for suggestions, I think about how to add lighting effects. I saw Ethanon engine, it's impressive, but for my opinion there are some things which can be improved. I'd like to use shaders, but don't know how to combine it with Max2D drivers.

col(Posted 2011) [#7]
but for my opinion there are some things which can be improved

What are your thoughts there?

EDIT :- As a quick example ( without using others media ), I knocked up this very basic example of using 2D images to give a 3D effect in an overhead or side view. I made the basic shape in 3D using lightwave and saved out a normal,depth and color map. In your Isoprojections you wouldnt need a depth map as in my example, instead you'd get the depth information from the position of the image in the map, then use a normal map image to give you per-pixel directions.
That demo needs Dx11 at the moment but I'm thinking of working on Dx9 and GL versions soon in the near future as soon as I get the shadowing working properly.

Last edited 2011

Matt Merkulov(Posted 2011) [#8]
I think it's possible not to only use shadows for cylindrical objects, but for all rotational solids like standing lanterns or pillars.

col(Posted 2011) [#9]
I see.

Of course its possible, anything is possible :P

I'm trying a technique for a shadow setup that I don't think has been tried before for a 2D environment. There is a guy who is apparently pretty hot on the xbox360 xna sites that has a 2d shadow map system using 2d images. I made a BMax version and although it works pretty well there is a serious bottleneck ( rendering a 512x512 shadowmap requires 9 render passes!! ). My setup will use all the hardware acceleration without using so much shader code ie taking advantage of the native speeds of the pixel shader texturing and abusing the depth buffer for 2d depths, all in a single draw call. As soon as I get a day without working silly hours then I'll be back on it.

col(Posted 2011) [#10]
I'd like to use shaders, but don't know how to combine it with Max2D drivers.

Shaders are relatively easy to integrate into Bmax when using OpenGL, Dx is only marginally more complicated in that you will need to make your own
driver and inherit from BRLs driver. You wouldn't really need to make a whole shader system as such, just write a 'shader type' to your frameworks needs.

There are plenty of older examples in the forums to get shaders working in GL. It's well worth a look even if you decide not to go that route.