Zetanoid

Community Forums/Showcase/Zetanoid

RetroSouls(Posted 2011) [#1]
Here we go, my last B3D game. It was amazing 10 years with B3D :)

Zetanoid it’s an original breakout game with advanced phisycs engine.Your mission is to clear blocks off the screen using a ball and a paddle.

Screens:

More info:
http://www.retrosouls.net/?page_id=580

Last edited 2011

TomShep(Posted 2011) [#2]
WOW I have to say that this is awesome - The concept of having the blocks stacked vertically gave me a semi. LOL Seriously though this was awesome.

Groza_BOTov(Posted 2011) [#3]
Grerat game. Using physics in that kind of games is just too cool...

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#4]
This is really good. Perfect control over the ball and great idea to extend into the 3rd dimension and place bricks and bonuses there. Well done!

Banshee(Posted 2011) [#5]
Hi there

This is very cool for a few minutes, although on my second go I had a MAV.

The idea is genius.

If I was to offer a suggestion it would be to make more of it and take it to the extreme, make some early levels more vertical to really get the wow factor in.

If I was to make a second then it would be to hide the mouse as its awkward trying to keep it out of the way and still in the active gameplay area.

I've never been a great fan of this genre but I did enjoy this. But having limited patience for the sounds and the format in general I never got beyond the third level.

Great work, a masterful remake.

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2011) [#6]
I like it, just wish you could go fullscreen :^(

col(Posted 2011) [#7]
Thats a great new angle for this genre of game.
You should definitely make more of this. Like Banshee says 'take it to the extreme' and you'll have a winner for sure. Maybe up the pace of the game early, through in tons of extras, bombs?, lasers?, bigger play areas, enemies, big bonuses with big graphics.

It just seems, that at the moment, there is massive untapped potential for this to be the best.

Fullscreen is a must with this type of game, and hide the mouse pointer :P

Very well done but please dont leave it as is. It could be a massive game!

Chalky(Posted 2011) [#8]
You can set Fullscreen=1 in the INI file and also increase the screen resolution. Very enjoayable game - though I crashed back to the desktop with a MAV around level 9... :o(

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#9]
Very nice. :D But yeah, arcade games should always default to full screen imo, and certainly turn the mouse pointer off. A menu to switch would be good, rather than editing the settings file.

The shadows are blocky no matter what the resolution, and turning down that bloom filter a tad would be better.

The game doesn't really get going until level 5, so was a little slow and easy to start.

Apart from those nit picks, it's really good. :D

Yeah MAV here too.

Last edited 2011

Kittomer(Posted 2011) [#10]
That is pretty nifty, I like games with lots of physics effects in them.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#11]

Here we go, my last B3D game. It was amazing 10 years with B3D :)

So what are you now using instead? :)

Angus(Posted 2011) [#12]
Also played until I got a MAV

Shame, because I thought it was great. The pace was just right and it was lovely and smooth. As it stands I think it looks very slick, seeing the boxes crumble into dissolving piles of smaller boxes never gets old.

A higher-resolution shadow option would be on my personal wishlist, and I'd be tempted to add all sorts of graphical bells and whistles. Mind you, I could spend hours doing that and then think I'd been wasting my time and it would look better without them.

Thought gameplay was spot on though, felt in control of the direction of the ball. Multi-ball was great and I wanted more of it.

Crashed around level 15
playing on i7 2600,8Gb,ATI6770HD at 1280*1024 fullscreen

PS: Why are the bats never represented as being curved in these games? This applies to all breakout games I think, so not aimed at this game. Why not curve the bat in such a way that it's surface is more representative of where it'll send the ball? <idle rubbish

big10p(Posted 2011) [#13]
MAV on level 7.

Tab(Posted 2011) [#14]
Great game RetroSouls.

And your game 8-Bit Night is a master piece.

RetroSouls(Posted 2011) [#15]
Thanks to all!
Ohh to many MAVs, i'll try to fix it.

@Steve Elliot
Right now i'm XNA fan :)

Last edited 2011

Steve Elliott(Posted 2011) [#16]

Ohh to many MAVs, i'll try to fix it.

Cool.

@Steve Elliott
Right now i'm XNA fan :)

ok lol.

Stamm(Posted 2011) [#17]
Really good.
But the game does not seem to stand XP's standby mode: I had put my amchine to sleep while the game was running (fullscreen), and when I resumed I got a black screen, some awkward chitter and a reboot.
Otherwise, looks really nice.
The shadows have jagged adges for some reason, though. But that's the graphics engine, not you.

Taron(Posted 2011) [#18]
Right up until a memory access error it was fantastic. I still think it is fantastic, though. AWESOME! :o)))

Ball is a bit sluggish and can get a wee bit annoying, once put into shallow horizontal bounce, but- wow. Wonderful job. Wished you could figure out the possible access violation crash. I'm running it under windows7 64bit here.

PS: ARGH, that damn error. I went quite far and the levels are beautiful! It may well be the most exciting breakout yet. Except for the error excitement, of course. You Rock, though! :o}

Last edited 2011

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#19]
that just feels right to play, I'v actually made 3 of these games now all 2D of course, so to see one done like this is a store of brilliance.

It's that moment when your playing and you think, why have I not seen this done like this until now.

Nice one m8, I enjoyed that.

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#20]
Very nicely done, RetroSouls.

I've played a number of games like this, but never one quite this awesome.

I definitely agree that you should take it a step further like others say, and
really think that you could sell something like this pretty easily. I mean, I'd buy it.

My one and only little niggle, is that, as with all games of this genre that I've played,
when it gets down to only one or two blocks left it can be annoying trying to
hit them.

Cheers and congratulations!

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#21]
Werdna the way I got around that in mine was that I detected 2 or less blocks and started a timer, if the timer ran out I had an event happen that made them easier to hit.

in Busta Blox I made the block grow in size for every second it remained after the timer ran out, in noxy I made an alien ship crash into it, and in the others it was random things like the above that just helped the player, I think I only had a few levels without this support and it was levels in busta where the challenge was actually to get a really hard to reach block.

either way I agree, I would love to see that on the iphone or mobile it would do well.

RetroSouls(Posted 2011) [#22]
New version ZetaNoid 1.1
Download from same URL:
http://www.retrosouls.net/?page_id=580
Please, test it.Don't have a time for massive testing.
Must be more stable!

See ya!

Sung(Posted 2011) [#23]
Very fine game RetroSouls!

I love it.

only the mouse cursor should be removed. But it makes really fun.

And, i like the music :-)

Angus(Posted 2011) [#24]
Played all the way through and scored 12635 or something like that, no crashes!

Really nice to play through, and the shadow map much crisper too.

Enjoyed the multi-ball parts in the later levels in particular.

Although the game is a nice package in itself, I'm sure the concept could be effectively expanded into a budget title. I think. (edit - and others have also said)

My only niggle would be the final boss, it just seemed to take too many hits. Otherwise, really great.

Last edited 2011

Chalky(Posted 2011) [#25]
Now plays throughout with no MAVs! Love the way some towers topple over the edge of the game area. Very enjoyable - great stuff.

[Edit] I spoke too soon about the MAVs, just crashed on level 3... :o(

Last edited 2011

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#26]
Very inventive Taiphoz! Spiffy work around.

@RetroSouls
Yay, a new version!

Seriously though, dude, we demand that you sell this commercially ;)